A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mark and Dami's little experiment

Umm... Is it possible for a large level to break the collision detection, if, say, the system is low on memory?

I'm going to say no. More likely your framerates would just become absolutely unplayable.

As for Vista, runs perfectly fine for me on Vista. I'm using Home Premium 64 bit edition with a Geforce 8800GT and an Intel q6600 currently running at the stock speed of 2.4ghz per core with all the latest drivers generally speaking.

I'm not sure it will work without a graphics card though.

I dunno about that. I understand it's a different engine, but in the Source Engine they build their 3D Skyboxes at 1/16th scale in order to use less resources.

The only part that will affect performance is the texture. The geometry itself is just a series of vertices connected to form a mesh, so no matter what scale is applied to it, it shouldn't affect performance whatsoever. If the texture is a very large texture file, and there's plenty of them on screen, you'll probably notice significant slowdown.

I'm not entirely sure about that. Afterall, you could map the same texture to a much larger skybox and get the exact same visual appearance with pretty much the same resolution. I think what Blaze is trying to assert is that they gained performance though the use entirely of smaller geometry rather than a difference in texture sizes.

I think thats plausible, but since I really don't understand the whole 3D rendering process, I'm reluctant to form a solid opinion on it.

well, considering the vertices are transformed to 2D screen space via the projection matrix before a triangle is rendered, I don't think having a large scale skybox would make any difference. The 2D screen space point will end up being the same.

Where it might make a difference though is with z buffering. Play the pc version of SA: DX and notice the horrible inaccuracy with zbuffering the skydome and water surface in Emerald Coast. Since the skydome is huge, the large floating point values end up losing accuracy. You could change the range of the zbuffer to accommodate this, but then you'd lose accuracy with polygons that are close together. Increasing the bitdepth of the zbuffer gives you more accuracy but not all cards support higher depths. The dreamcast version doesn't have this problem because it uses a completely different depth checking method to z-buffering.

Usually though, skyboxes aren't even rendered with the z-buffer enabled, since it's the first thing to be drawn.