A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What happened?

Andrew

Can I ask why everything gets locked/deleted/metamodded whenever something gets slightly off topic?

Or, alternatively, lock/delete this topic. Your call.

Maybe, you know, give a bit of leeway instead of being the nihilistic, immature moderators that some of you are. The community is degenerating (again). Where's the newbies? The last new member I've seen (that doesn't just sit on the forums and spurt shit through their fingers is dark team.

Why is it the first thing we ever do nowadays is pick on a new member's grammar? The original "community" of SFGHQ is long gone. What we have now is a hateful community.

Every new member that can't spell, or does not have English as their primary language is automatically blazefire. I mean what?

I'm sick of it.

The stage we're at now is we're being control-freaks. You as a community need to either grow up or get more immature and lenient.

Asshats.

No, I don't care if you disagree. I don't care if I get flamed. I don't care what more than the majority of you think.

• Like 1

Andrew, what do you suggest we do to correct this? I agree with you to an extent, even though I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself. We're driving away all our new members, and I hate seeing that. Does anyone remember my behavior back in 2004/5? If I behaved like that today, I'd be banned instantly. Also, no one enjoys a game unless it has Sonic XG/Sonic Frenzy Adventure/Retro Sonic quality. Over the past year or so SFGHQ has been stagnating. I don't know how to repair the community though.

The new SFG generation to SFG is like My Chemical Romance to rock.

Me, SG, Duckboy, 2D, VJ, Andrew, Roy, etc... we are all classical rock.

I hate to say this, but I think SFG members should be split into the pro-oldschoolers and the new generation. Not generally a civil war, mind you, but keeping the traditionalist scene clean from corruption can only be achieved by segregating. We just need a spokesperson...

I hate to say this, but I think SFG members should be split into the pro-oldschoolers and the new generation. Not generally a civil war, mind you, but keeping the traditionalist scene clean from corruption can only be achieved by segregating. We just need a spokesperson...

You're kidding right? I'm a new generation SFGHQ member and I hate seeing n00bs getting flamed, take ayling for instance, I stood up for him many times before, because whenever he says something that's considered "retarded", he gets flamed for it. I mean he's a kid, 14 years of age, of course he's gonna be alittle immature, but he can grow up with our guidance. I've talked to rael about the lacking of leniency towards the younger crowd, and he agrees.

Fuck, I remember when I was a dumb n00b, I was flamed CONSTANTLY, and alot of it was unnecessary. I have sympathy for alot of n00bs here, and I strive to make them feel as comfortable as possible.

You're kidding right? I'm a new generation SFGHQ member and I hate seeing n00bs getting flamed, take ayling for instance, I stood up for him many times before, because whenever he says something that's considered "retarded", he gets flamed for it. I mean he's a kid, 14 years of age, of course he's gonna be alittle immature, but he can grow up with our guidance. I've talked to rael about the lacking of leniency towards the younger crowd, and he agrees.

Fuck, I remember when I was a dumb n00b, I was flamed CONSTANTLY, and alot of it was unnecessary. I have sympathy for alot of n00bs here, and I strive to make them feel as comfortable as possible.

I'm serious to an extent... not genuinely just the oldschoolers, but the new crowd who wants a piece of the nirvana of the good ol' days.

You're kidding right?

It's Ducky, so yes. :)

The biggest problem I see with SFGHQ right now is that it's strayed away from simple, community ethics. There's no sort of welcoming embrace for newbies, no tolerance for people who are considered "idiotic" upon first impression; there's this whole "ytmnd"-esque ideology that because this is the internet, nobody has to extend any gesture of kindness or compassion. Like Andy said, some of the moderating team seem to be even worse than the members themselves.

It'd be a lie to say that every single one of you are assholes, because that simply isn't true, but compared to the old days hearkening back to the phpbb board, it seems like the member base majority is elitist and churlish. I miss the days when somebody could fuck up or make an ass out of themselves and be forgiven.

You don't remember a period where 33% or more of front-page topics were locked? Slingerland might be overly rambunctious when stating his reasoning for locking topics, but all recently-locked topics I've seen were completely justified. And it's stupid to lay the blame on the moderators when every single one of those topics had a flame war in them.

I'll stave off the "SFGHQ is going downhill" topic since SFGHQ has been "going downhill" for the 4 years I've been here.

I agree with you completely. I know I used to be bad about hazing, but I haven't done it in months. (Unless they really deserve it, like xhedgehogx or whatever his name was.)

I don't post much, but I lurk often and would like to give my $0.02 here.

I've been around SFGHQ since 2001ish and I indeed see that what we have in front of us now is a HUGE contrast to the SFGHQ I literally grew up with (having joined when I was only 9). Nowadays, I see nothing but bullying. The mods are assholes to the new members, not actually trying to help them get better. "If it's not right the first time, then GTFO" seems to be their motto. Stuff like that even puts me off of fangaming. I am less and less inclined to make things because everyone is pro-perfect and accepts nothing less.

We seriously need to take a look at this and change things. Take the bullies out of power, appoint some people that will actually make good staff members, people who are friendly and helpful. Then SFGHQ can start being cool again.

Nowadays, I see nothing but bullying. The mods are assholes to the new members, not actually trying to help them get better.

Do you think all mods are guilty of that or just a select few? I try not to harrass newbies too much, but if the majority of people think I'm part of that selection you mentioned I would relinquish my position as moderator.