A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What happened?

Andrew

I like TRD's ideas, but I must point out that the main site can't be updated more if there's no content to go into it, and there isn't really a massive flow of stuff. So that would require US to make some stuff more than we do (which we probably should be).

I like TRD's ideas, but I must point out that the main site can't be updated more if there's no content to go into it, and there isn't really a massive flow of stuff. So that would require US to make some stuff more than we do (which we probably should be).

There's an assload of stuff in the submission zone that needs to be registered and uploaded to the site, however smidge (and I'm pretty sure he's a busy guy <3) hasn't uploaded the last set of content I sent him, so you know how that is. >_>

yeah, this sort of thing is going on in a LOT of long living communities on the internet now a days. The internet moves so fast that the forum eventually becomes split between groups of members and remenicing on the old. It's not just here that it's happening so it's just another challenge that we have to try and cleverly overcome. Really it just requires some tolerance for the fact that these horrible internet memes are now becoming acceptable to many who are joining the big world of the internet when back when we were on these things were just growing and some figured it to be stupid. Unbiased opinions would help but, what are we gonna do? Were human. At least this boards sort of... "mid life crisis" isn't as bad as others. the joking and such just doesn't set in with some. sarcasm detectors recently are more broken and no respect, but more of a demand for it. It's a mess out there and it's too much to analyze in one post. uhg, I miss the days where the communities were small so we could have a decent spam forum AND realize that thats not the only reason we were here in the first place. But I have my /b/rothers for that so I'm fine :3

I've been here not that long, however I joined up back in... what? 1999 or something? My brother Blues was helping me with my games and he himself was working on it. the site had a slow like load and there was fancy music along with a sonic adventure like theme to it. I rejoined not too long ago and yeah things have changed. The jokes would be fine if EVERYONE would stop taking ANYTHING as an insult and just let it go. THAT won't be happening anytime soon so we gotta teach the old dog new tricks and act as the good guardians for the new members until they can get settled in.

just thought I'd throw in my twocents.

It's been this way ever since CAMP closed. The standard of behavior got raised far beyond that of which it was prior to CAMP's establishment, and regular SFGHQ behavior that blossomed in CAMP is now dubbed as "CAMPY", and I'm starting to regret wanting a CAMP again in the first place.

Regardless, we can all see how this now stricter SFGHQ is benefiting the community. Only a few new posts a day, all of which are in video game topics, namely the smash topic that has existed for months.

I agree with the chill-out forum. Not as crazy and stupid as CAMP (Which was 90% reposted 4chan memes and semi-nude models) but something where people can just sit and talk about stupid shit not many people care about (Such as the screamer glitch and the new Chocolate Rain thing).

Something else that needs to change here is the "You have a different opinion than me? Well fuck you!" that happens almost every time anyone says anything, and almost always turns intoa huge multi-page argument. Maybe for once we could just have a live and let live mentality.

See the problem with this is that it's 2 sided. And I'm not calling ANYONE out on this.

The reason I try to get nay sayers out of threads is because time and time again, someone will put an extremely radical "I hate this because..." post in a thread and everyone goes batshit, and 1 page later it's a lock. And then there's some people who act and believe as that their opinion is law or they purposely push their view to get others riled up.

I guarantee you that a "chill out" forum would quickly resort to spam. Seen it happen on these here internets plenty of times.

Something else that needs to change here is the "You have a different opinion than me? Well fuck you!" that happens almost every time anyone says anything, and almost always turns into a huge multi-page argument.

Lol then I lock it.

Finally, seeing how that this thread is also another "let's change SFGHQ" thread, we have to follow up on it this time. We always talk and talk, but never really do anything. I mean, hell, how about that new main page? Where did that go (and Smidge too)?

I guarantee you that a "chill out" forum would quickly resort to spam. Seen it happen on these here internets plenty of times.

Not if we had someone to eliminate the problem, and if that certain person continues it, lock that person out of that forum. You can lock members out of chosen parts of the forum right? I'd go with that, but I think a chllout place would be great since everyone visits SFGHQ frequently, and this would be a great way to make n00bs feel comfortable. I would say at least try it out, but I'm not staff so...

I mean, hell, how about that new main page? Where did that go (and Smidge too)?

That's true, we can't so shit if we don't have the abilities, PC0 is pretty much done for. =[

and yeah, Smidge is not around.

Do I dare say, give ownership to someone else? :X Or atleast grant someone who will actually get something done the power to do so.

CHAP. XIX.

Of the Dissolution of Government.

Sec. 211. HE that will with any clearness speak of the dissolution of

government, ought in the first place to distinguish between the

dissolution of the society and the dissolution of the government. That

which makes the community, and brings men out of the loose state of

nature, into one politic society, is the agreement which every one has

with the rest to incorporate, and act as one body, and so be one distinct

common-wealth. The usual, and almost only way whereby this union is

dissolved, is the inroad of foreign force making a conquest upon them:

for in that case, (not being able to maintain and support themselves, as

one intire and independent body) the union belonging to that body which

consisted therein, must necessarily cease, and so every one return to the

state he was in before, with a liberty to shift for himself, and provide

for his own safety, as he thinks fit, in some other society. Whenever

the society is dissolved, it is certain the government of that society

cannot remain. Thus conquerors swords often cut up governments by the

roots, and mangle societies to pieces, separating the subdued or

scattered multitude from the protection of, and dependence on, that

society which ought to have preserved them from violence. The world is

too well instructed in, and too forward to allow of, this way of

dissolving of governments, to need any more to be said of it; and there

wants not much argument to prove, that where the society is dissolved,

the government cannot remain; that being as impossible, as for the frame

of an house to subsist when the materials of it are scattered and

dissipated by a whirl-wind, or jumbled into a confused heap by an

earthquake.

Sec. 212. Besides this over-turning from without, governments are

dissolved from within, First, When the legislative is altered. Civil

society being a state of peace, amongst those who are of it, from whom

the state of war is excluded by the umpirage, which they have provided in

their legislative, for the ending all differences that may arise amongst

any of them, it is in their legislative, that the members of a

commonwealth are united, and combined together into one coherent living

body. This is the soul that gives form, life, and unity, to the

common-wealth: from hence the several members have their mutual

influence, sympathy, and connexion: and therefore, when the legislative

is broken, or dissolved, dissolution and death follows: for the essence

and union of the society consisting in having one will, the legislative,

when once established by the majority, has the declaring, and as it were

keeping of that will. The constitution of the legislative is the first

and fundamental act of society, whereby provision is made for the

continuation of their union, under the direction of persons, and bonds of

laws, made by persons authorized thereunto, by the consent and

appointment of the people, without which no one man, or number of men,

amongst them, can have authority of making laws that shall be binding to

the rest. When any one, or more, shall take upon them to make laws, whom

the people have not appointed so to do, they make laws without authority,

which the people are not therefore bound to obey; by which means they

come again to be out of subjection, and may constitute to themselves a

new legislative, as they think best, being in full liberty to resist the

force of those, who without authority would impose any thing upon them.

Every one is at the disposure of his own will, when those who had, by the

delegation of the society, the declaring of the public will, are excluded

from it, and others usurp the place, who have no such authority or

delegation.

Sec. 213. This being usually brought about by such in the

commonwealth who misuse the power they have; it is hard to consider it

aright, and know at whose door to lay it, without knowing the form of

government in which it happens. Let us suppose then the legislative

placed in the concurrence of three distinct persons.

1. A single hereditary person, having the constant, supreme,

executive power, and with it the power of convoking and dissolving the

other two within certain periods of time.

2. An assembly of hereditary nobility.

3. An assembly of representatives chosen, pro tempore, by the

people. Such a form of government supposed, it is evident,

Sec. 214. First, That when such a single person, or prince, sets up

his own arbitrary will in place of the laws, which are the will of the

society, declared by the legislative, then the legislative is changed:

for that being in effect the legislative, whose rules and laws are put in

execution, and required to be obeyed; when other laws are set up, and

other rules pretended, and inforced, than what the legislative,

constituted by the society, have enacted, it is plain that the

legislative is changed. Whoever introduces new laws, not being thereunto

authorized by the fundamental appointment of the society, or subverts the

old, disowns and overturns the power by which they were made, and so sets

up a new legislative.

---

aww damn wait we aren't revolting anymore?

Spike does have a point, there IS a huge difference between an offtopic board and a spam board.

I think we are still facing the same fundamental issue we've always faced though. The authority is for the most part uninvolved with the community, however at the seem time he trusts noone that still has interest in the community to inherit that power. Thus we end up with underlings having to amass more power than was actually delegated to them, and the results haven't always been pretty.

OK, we can experiment with it.

Here's the thing, though. Rael and I are essentially the last staff members here and we have simple mod powers.

I propose ditching the inactive staff members, promoting the active ones/people who know how to run a forum from a technical standpoint (because I sure as hell can't) to administrators, and adding 1 or 2 new moderators, since the old ones would be promoted.

I'm just typing as I think, so if that sounds silly to any of you, check it or propose a different idea that makes sense. x)

OK...that's a little too far. A "government?" Sonic fangaming forum?

The reigns just need to be handed off, because things aren't getting done. I was really looking forward to the main site, as it would attract people once again, but once the SAGE buzz died, so did the rest of the staff.

2D also has proposed C11 to be the new "chill place," so maybe if Rael and I get the power to make a forum one of these days, it can materialize.

OK, we can experiment with it.

Here's the thing, though. Rael and I are essentially the last staff members here and we have simple mod powers.

I propose ditching the inactive staff members, promoting the active ones/people who know how to run a forum from a technical standpoint (because I sure as hell can't) to administrators, and adding 1 or 2 new moderators, since the old ones would be promoted.

I'm just typing as I think, so if that sounds silly to any of you, check it or propose a different idea that makes sense. x)

I'm all for it. Need a mod? ; p

OK...that's a little too far. A "government?" Sonic fangaming forum?

Think about it. Let the forum users pick who they want to lead the community. Let there be some accountability in the people over us.

Because, I know on some occasions in the past, the moderation staff has been a bit tyrannical.

Because, I know on some occasions in the past, the moderation staff has been a bit tyrannical.

Then we begin a endless cycle of politicking on who the next mod is going to be?

That is hardly the laid back atmosphere we are trying to achieve through this discussion. A "government" is silly...we just need to give the active staff members more power and people to take up projects like the main page.

You all could solve everything with one simple movement.

DW for Admin!

Oh, and just to let you all know, I might be technically "a mod", but my modly powers granted hither unto me by his Smidgyness pertains only to a single subforum for what is essentially a defunct project that has become something else as a result of everyone getting all defensive and crazy at SAGE this year.

Then we begin a endless cycle of politicking on who the next mod is going to be?

That is hardly the laid back atmosphere we are trying to achieve through this discussion. A "government" is silly...we just need to give the active staff members more power and people to take up projects like the main page.

It's not like we're going to forming a full-fledged democratic republic. Much more like a group consensus.

I think the lack of a laid-back atmosphere comes from the fact that people are afraid of getting nailed. Quite frankly, I don't know if I trust giving you more power. Sure, you're a cool guy and everything, but when that moderator switch goes on, you become a whole different creature.