A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My Custom Sonic Sprite Project

Kain

A lengthy amount of time ago, this sprite originally had a "more retro than Sonic ever was" style to it, but I opted for a slightly newer, but still traditional look, kinda "Sonic Advance-ish colors/shading with references taken from the Sonic CD cutscenes and generally genesis scale." Originally, this was intended for use in a project of mine, but it's unlikely that'll ever happen, so I'll probably submit it to the site when it's fairly complete. And I do plan on eventually making this a fairly complete sprite, with many standard gimmick animations and a few unique ones. Oh, and this is a WIP sprite so a couple of transition animations are missing.

Sheet:

gSonic_sheet.png

Animations in action:

gsonic_Walk.gifgsonic_Run.gifgsonic_Jump.gifgsonic_Roll.gifgsonic_SDash.gif

Comments and Crit, please. Particularly on the style, proportions, and especially the shading.

((For those interested, these are the sprites before the style change:

Sonic_Run.gifSonic_Speed2.gif))

• Like 5

Well, I prefer not to release incomplete things, but one really needs to have a nice and consistent work ethic for that kind of reasoning to work. So, sure, free use.

And thanks for the positive comments, all. I'll (continue to) consider tweaking the running animation. There are things I like about it and things that perhaps don't entirely fit.

Lordy Sonic's head in that walking animation rotates so sexily smooth. =3

Really nice work their Kain. I think the running animation would look great in-game with smoke being kicked up behind him from his feet. ( dunno why; might be because his feet are so angled )

I think that Sonic's facial expression in the old walking animation is better than in the new one though.

They are nice but the spikes eat too much into the head.

Ah. You know, I think I saw that but didn't do anything about it. But looking at it again, the shadows really go deep. I think that's why I'm not getting as round of head as I'd like. I'm hesitant to go back and revamp the sprite too much for fear of non-progress, but I think it's a good idea to re-look at this for how much work it wont take.

• Like 1

This is alright, but here are the problems I have with it.

1. His forehead and top spike are really, really big and stick up really far.

2. The fast rolling looks like a mess. It's basically squiggles.

3. The loop of his running legs is huge, his feet go over his mouth.

Don't take it personally, just my honest input.

The forehead area's something that's given me trouble. It's rather inconsistent from sprite to sprite. The standing sprite, especially, is extremely big and the running sprite is somewhat elongated. Though, personally, I'm liking the walking sprite's proportions as far as that goes (there might be some small problems with the way it rotates, though). Feel free to disagree.

As for the fast rolling sprite, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've got mixed reactions from myself and am getting mixed reactions from others. All in all, I think there are way too many spikes making it look messy and the rotating center is quite obviously off. In a sense, it lends itself to the speed, but in another sense, that's just an excuse.

The running animation probably needs some scaling down since, as you can see, the sprite the legs were meant for a taller Sonic (that happened to be completely out-of-proportion with the walk sprite). But don't expect any drastic changes.

Don't take it personally, just my honest input.

I asked for criticism, no need to pretend like you're being delicate about it.

• 7 months later...

Working on these some more. I have slightly tweaked the running and spin dash animations in addition to adding ducking, looking up, hurt, die, and edge wobble. It now contains all the 100%-necessary-for-use animations, so feel free to use them (which is why I'm posting the update). But I'll still be working on them to add gimmick-related animations (push, grab, spring spin are among the planned), add a couple of transition animations, and tweak the standing, roll/jumping, and skidding animations.

SonicC_Sheet3.png

You'll note that fast roll is missing. I haven't given up on this animation, but I've tried like a dozen times to get it right and still haven't gotten anything that wasn't a sloppy mess, so I'll still be working on that.

As per usual, comments and especially criticism (in particular, any specifics on inconsistent style) is much appreciated. As well as suggestions for reasonable gimmick animations.

Guest Shadix
Yeah, I guess I'm just used to other forums where people FREAK when they receive criticism.

Other forums? Don't you remember post-SAGE last year?

--

This sprite is full of all kinds of sexylicious, rep up man! If you are gonna make it free to use maybe you should consider submitting it to the site.

Looks great. However, Sonic looks like a marble when he spins.

You mean it's not supposed to? Heh, but I'll give it a look when I once-over the rushed sonic half of the rolling sprite (i.e. the half where you can see his form). It's admittedly a little weird as-is.

This sprite is full of all kinds of sexylicious, rep up man! If you are gonna make it free to use maybe you should consider submitting it to the site.

I promise to submit whatever I have done whenever I go three or more days without creating a new frame of animation. There. That gives me room to not feel like I released an unfinished sprite and also makes sure I'm not hoarding potential new content because of perfectionism. (which isn't to say that I'll definitely stop working on it after I submit something)

Today's frame (part of a skid -> turn around transition):

frame0.png