A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sprite Competition 7: OVER

Kain

If I win, there WILL be a break, because a waiting period after one Spriting competition is appropriate, and it gives people time to chill out and look forward to the next one.

Also, as far as I see, BARELY anyone submitted their entries to the Submission zone after the comp was over, including you (Besides the lamppost).

I just submitted the lampposts that i did and liked how they turned out.

And... I Just submit my work when it isn't crap.

I think we should start having Spriting contests monthly.

NO WAY

Well, if think it's too MFGG for me. Comps. there are weekly.

---

Also, are judges really necessary? we could just do a popular voting, like the firsts sprites competitions.

Yeah, but some you guys are never around to do it, or just too lazy (or don't care) enough to do it. I asked for more votes in the third competition, and barely anyone responded, I only had a total of 9 votes, not enough. Depending on how many participants are in a competition, we need more than 9 votes.

That's why we went with judges, we could try the popular vote again if no one objects to it, but seriously, everyone needs to pitch in and help out. =\

That includes participants.

Well, if think it's too MFGG for me. Comps. there are weekly.

We need breaks though, a week or 2 could do fine.

I think we should start having Spriting contests monthly.

That's a nice thought, but looking at the starting dates of every sprite competition so far:

1st : January 31

2nd: March 4

3rd: March 24

4th: May 26

5th: July 3

6th: August 17

7th: September 20

The only sprite competitions with less than a month between them was 2 and 3. If anything, making a sprite competition monthly would decrease the waiting or contest times.

Also, are judges really necessary? we could just do a popular voting, like the firsts sprites competitions.

Like TRD said, the problem here is that there are traditionally not enough people voting to get any sort of reliable read. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it that way with any less than 20 impartial people voting and that's definitely asking too much. Perhaps a tweaked popular vote where people vote for their top 3 and it's weighed according to some scale might work with less than a ten people, but the traditional "pick your favorite one" certainly doesn't.

Well, we could do something like this:

When there isn't enough votes to someone win, we choose 3 judges. They'll give "points" to their work. The one who'll get more points, win. It's In fact, the only way i can think of when there isn't many votes, well, when votes are like "1 to 1".

Okay, here's a fairly simple one I whipped up just for participationingmanism. My spring idea was used though but oh well. :<

SPRIKING

At first it looks like an ordinary spring.

springanim1.gif

But when you jump on it, it decides to throw you off and grow spikes.

springanim2.gif

Now it's hopping around. Does it think it owns this place or something?

springanim3.gif

Watch out - it's going to try to pancake you!

Obviously, in order to defeat it, you must roll into it.

Spriking.png

Enjoy. Haha, I sound like Sakurai.

• Like 1

Got side-tracked, a day late to close. Anyway, judging will start tomorrow as I try and figure out if there's a way to possibly do it with popular vote. Or as I scrounge up 3 non-contestant judges.

All things said, a decent turnout with 6 sprite sheets, some of considerable size and use (though one is from a banned member and one is in .jpg form, would probably be denied if it were a bigger turnout). Here are the entries:

Zenor:

signpostlo3.png

TRD:

eggmobilejs5.png

Donchi:

spritecontest7spikebuzzgn3.png

MaxSonic:

rockslingerqj5.png

Aylingling:

attachment.php?attachmentid=480&stc=1&d=1191282729

Blyde:

Spriking.png

Check the first post. Basically, everyone pick your 1st 2nd and 3rd picks. A 1st pick is worth 4 points, 2nd worth 2, 3rd worth 1.

Edit: also, phoo on the rep distribution limit. I'll give you your rep for your awesome entry tomorrow, Blyde.