A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sprite Competition 7: OVER

Kain

Sprite Competition 7 Voting Has Begun!

OK, I'm lazy, there are only a handfull of potential winner entries (no offense to the others), and a couple of people were clamoring for a popular vote, so lets try it this experimental way:

Everyone pick your favorite, 2nd favorite, and 3rd favorite entries. Every favorite vote gives the person 4 points, the second will get 2, and the 3rd will get 1. Points will be added up to decide the winner. You don't have to pick all 3 if you don't want to. Points will still work as one would expect.

Voting will end next Tuesday (the 16th) at 11:58 PM EST provided we have at least 10 votes.

Here are the entries:

Zenor:

signpostlo3.png

TRD:

eggmobilejs5.png

Donchi:

spritecontest7spikebuzzgn3.png

MaxSonic:

rockslingerqj5.png

Aylingling:

attachment.php?attachmentid=480&stc=1&d=1191282729

Blyde:

Spriking.png

Here was the topic of this sprite comp:

:: pant pant :: sorry for the delay. stuff happened. OK, let's see how this goes.

Sprite Competition 7:

Topic: Subterfuge

The name of the game is "things that look like something, but actually do something else." Those fun little deceptions that maybe just has the chance to bite you in the ass if you're paying just the right amount of attention. A spring that is actually an enemy and is quite harmless to jump on? An ending capsule that transforms into a mini-boss? Well, those have already been done before, but everything else is up for grabs. A gimmick made up of what appear to be 4 rings, but are tied on a string or something that winds around you? Yea, that sucks, but you're the entrants, you can come up with something better. You get the idea.

Requirements:

-The main requirement is that it has to look like it does/is something, but actually does something else. Not just a bridge that you don't expect to fall or missiles you don't expect to blow a hole in the floor, it has to be intentional deception.

-It can be badnik, miniboss, or even gimmick or common object, but whatever it is, it has to be interactable in some way. Also, because of this, some animation is required.

-You can display animated gifs to demonstrate the animations if you want, but the official submission should be made in sprite sheet form, preferably in a manner easy to implement in a game.

-It is not required you conform to any official game style, but it is very highly recomended you conform to some existing style, otherwise they're pretty useless.

Basic rules:

-You can't use sprites you already made. I.e., They have to be have been started after 11:33 PM EST September 20th (sorry, TRD, if you wanted to submit your traffic cone).

-You can make as many sprites as you want and each should be submitted separately and will be judged separately.

-Sprites can be entirely custom or entirely constructed from existing official sprites. Whatever you think is best.

-Entries must be in by let's say 11:59 PM EST October 6th.

-for everything else, just use your best judgement.

Judging:

-Since we can't possibly get a reliable sample size in here, I guess I'll go with the "3 reliable non-participant judges scoring by a given rubric and then they're added up and compared" with a preliminary pick-off if needed.

-The rubric isn't made yet, but you will be judged on quality, style, animation/coherence, and concept similar but slightly different to the past few.

Sprite on.

-You can't use sprites you already made. I.e., They have to be have been started after 11:33 PM EST September 20th (sorry, TRD, if you wanted to submit your traffic cone).

That's ok, this gives me a chance to make another badnik.

Cone drone would've been a nice choice. =P

EDIT: Nvr mind, I fount out.

DW: That wasn't what I was asking.

I haven't forgotten about this, just to show I'm working on something, a mock:

[qimg]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z177/TRDGAMES/Mock.png[/qimg]

What would happen if Eggman left his Eggmobile on Auto-pilot? Rawr! D=

Animations and whatnot tomorrow.

Holy crap, holy crap, that's the best thing ever. I was planning to make some drivable Eggmoblies in my game, and something like this would be awesome.

[qimg]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4788/signpostlo3.png[/qimg]

i think i did it... to TRD doesn't take my idea D:

Hmm, could've sworn that was my idea. xD

Great jobe.

domobotbetaae8.png

And Douche the Raccon, it just looks like you took a small object, slapped on a drill with already made fire effects, and gave it an already existing name. Why not"Spice" it up a bit hmm?

@Spike: Thanks. Feel free to use it when I've completed the animations. ^_^

But i never said i was submiting it for the compo did I?

Yes, you did:

Here is something i was making for "sprite compo 7"

Also, I said nothing about "Being better" than you. I made that remark because you're telling me that I'd grabbed parts for my entry, when I'm looking at your sprite, and all you did was grab parts and made little to no edits yourself. It's one of those "Don't talk" scenarios.

That aside, here's my entry: (Spoilered for huge sheet size.)

eggmobilejs5.png

I don't think I'll make any additional entries. So good luck everyone else.

• Like 1