A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII have become (NEW UPDATE 9/12 GO GO GO)

Rael0505

Cover of the second solo of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd on The Wall album. I'm mostly self taught, although some time last year I did get a teacher for a brief period of a month or two. Not the best cover on youtube, but I don't think it sucks.

Oh and rate it 5 stars.

Edit: Blyde if you make fun of my fat arms again you're permabanned.

Would you like to give some reasons or is just a continuation of "nobody is bettah than Streak?"

I don't think there's anything for him to criticize that I wouldn't know myself. My bends were off in places (one part in the middle makes me cringe every time I hear it), timing can be an issue, pinch harmonicsaren't always right. I don't think he could tell me anything I don't know about what's wrong with it, unless he were to suggest I do something different from how I'm currently doing it.

I can play it a little better if I'm sitting down because the guitar is higher up (can't put the strap up any higher), but when I perform I'd rather be standing.

Hmm. Well, I could tell you that when you do your bends, make sure if you have to bend about 2 notes higher, to place your middle finger on the fret you have to bend and back it up with the frets below it. What I mean is... Have your middle finger on the bend fret.. Have your index on the fret before. It reinforces the bend so that you can do it further without your finger strength giving up.

Also, 7/12 is lulz. Who grades something out of 12?

You're doing good for a year. Better than what I did after a year. The solo is long and at that time I couldn't remember anything longer than 20 seconds. It's obvious you had a teacher, lol.

Another thing. Playing guitar is all about muscle memory. You may be able to connect everything in your head but if your hands don't recognize what you're trying to do, it will fall short. What i suggest... if you're hitting a note out of place or your bends aren't in tune... DO those bends... do that riff about 100 times. Just repeat it. It may be boring but the more you do it and the more you get it right, your fingers will remember the feeling of doing it right and you'll never get it wrong again.

• Like 1

Hmm. Well, I could tell you that when you do your bends, make sure if you have to bend about 2 notes higher, to place your middle finger on the fret you have to bend and back it up with the frets below it. What I mean is... Have your middle finger on the bend fret.. Have your index on the fret before. It reinforces the bend so that you can do it further without your finger strength giving up.

You mean use more than one finger to give strength to the bend? I actually do that when I bend using my ring finger.

You're doing good for a year. Better than what I did after a year. The solo is long and at that time I couldn't remember anything longer than 20 seconds. It's obvious you had a teacher, lol.

Having a teacher didn't have that big an impact on my playing I don't think. I was self-taught for at least two or three months. He gave me the tabs for this solo for about 20 seconds of this song and helped me a little, and then I learned the rest by ear in a week and surprised him. My prior 10+ years of piano probably helped.

Another thing. Playing guitar is all about muscle memory. You may be able to connect everything in your head but if your hands don't recognize what you're trying to do, it will fall short. What i suggest... if you're hitting a note out of place or your bends aren't in tune... DO those bends... do that riff about 100 times. Just repeat it. It may be boring but the more you do it and the more you get it right, your fingers will remember the feeling of doing it right and you'll never get it wrong again.

Thanks for the advice. It's hard because I know exactly how I want it to sound in my head, but my fingers don't always follow and I don't even realize it. I'll try practicing pieces of it over and over instead of the whole song over and over.

<3 steak

Straight from the video description:

"I'm playing Pink Floyd's Fletcher Memorial Home solo. Very political song, I love it. I played it for about two hours and my fingers are almost bleeding, but this is the best recording I could do. Forgive the timing errors."

There are another couple solos I want to record, but right now my fingers hurt so much that I can barely type with that hand. 5 stars pls.