A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Contest] Original Gimmicks

Slingerland

SONIC WORLDS GIMMICK CONTEST

Create original gimmicks in the Worlds engine for reputation!

To further increase the size of the premiere click program engine of SFGHQ, we're encouraging all of you to create brand new gimmicks for the Sonic Worlds engine! Starting today, you have until September 15th to create a gimmick of your own design. You will be judged on the following:

• Programming: How well did is the gimmick put together? Does it introduce new bugs or fall prey to current bugs in the engine? We'll be looking at the events and how it runs in-game to judge your gimmick's solidity.
  • Presentation: How does your gimmick look in motion? How does it look graphically? You're probably going to do some spriting for this contest.
  • Concept: Self-explanatory. This category is basically how much the gimmick amuses the player or how interesting it is.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST SNAPSHOT BUILD OF THE SONIC WORLDS ENGINE HERE (WIP)

Yes, that's correct...this contest introduces the latest version.

REP POINT INCENTIVE:

• +6 points for contribution
  • +4 for winning the contest (10 points total)

You have until September 15th. Upload your files and post them here in this thread for submission. Also, feel free to ask questions in this thread as well.

Good luck gimmicking!

Sonic Worlds Original Gimmicks Contest Entry

I've had this idea for quite the time but never put it together since I didn't know how to program it back then and I have decided from this point on that I'm going to leave Sonic fangaming. Finally seeing this baby in action is a real joy and I had fun playing around with the Worlds engine to get it to work.

My gimmick is called the Pole Pod. When Sonic slams into it, his speed is transfered into the pod. Since the pod can't fly forward due to being attached to the pole, it spins around it; slowing down as it does. After reaching the top, it shoots Sonic out due to the sudden stop and begins its decent back to the bottom.

I have two download links available:

EXE Download (for those wanting to give the gimmick a try)

MFA Download (for those wanting to see the hard coding behind the miracle)

This gimmick has been tested to work with multiple instances of the gimmick in one frame with close to no problems except for one bug mentioned in the Note section of the Pole Pod gimmick group.

Extra Note (for dami mostly):

I made a few minor changes to the Worlds engine as I was playing around with it to learn how it worked:

-One thing is I made your conveyor belt gimmick include wall collision checks as without them, if the belt was running at a fast speed and you were slammed into a wall, you were positioned very wackily.

-Another change was I made it so that you can place monitors behind trees that come in front of them upon being hit just like in the original Sonic games. I set the tree object into a group for easy use as well.

-Third is a question. How in the world do you create folders to organize objects while in the frame editor? O.o

-Forth is uhh.... there is no forth. =P Anything else is just minor changes like the recoloring background bg effect I did. I think you did a really great job on the engine and it was really easy to work with. =)

• Like 2