A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Contest] Original Gimmicks

Slingerland

I haven't left the fangaming scene rael.

I just left the 'Sonic' fangaming scene. =3

When you say scene, do you particularly mean this forum? Because last I checked, SFGHQ is the scene whereas the activity is something entirely different.

Yes, I intend to pummel you with semantics until you just give up and decide not to leave.

Azu wins. =)

Sorry for any misconceptions. I meant I just got tired of trying to program a Sonic engine over and over again for the past 8 years or so. That's pretty much why I submitted a non-related Sonic game to SAGE. =P I don't think I'll be leaving this place for while though regardless what direction things take me.

For those who care, I updated my gimmick with the minor addition of making it so that Sonic's direction inside the pod is dependant on what direction he was facing upon entering it. The best way to see this is to hit the spring to the left of the pod and hold left to slow yourself down some.

The download links are the same as the entry post, but for those who are too lazy to go back there:

EXE Download

MFA Download

Btw, I'm not sure if damizean did this on purpose or not, but the rings weren't looping their animation correctly since they were being modded by 11 instead of 10.

Rofl lark, try this: stand in the pod not moving (you'll have to get in slowly so it doesn't send you flying back), then spindash and sometimes you'll fly out of it in the air instead of running down the slope, and you'll still be in that spinning animation until you land. It looks hilarious.

wtf I told it to run a sensor loop to prevent that. ( happened in my early tests a few times and yes, hilarious yet actually makes sense in a way ) It's only because I made the pod unleash you on a slope instead of flat ground, so I don't think it's *that* big of a deal.

Glad you think Sonic spinning confused and helplessly in the air at deathly high speeds is funny anyhow.

So...I forgot that this contest ended two days ago and that Lark is the only entry.

Is anybody else working on gimmicks? I'll gladly extend the deadline to the end of September if that is the case.

I'm glad this thread is alive again. =P

Come on peoples, I want to see others join on the fun too.

Don't give up Turbohog!!!1!!121

I got the idea for it by simply thinking of something that would respond close to the same as it would in real life; physics basically. =P

Maybe someone could make a gimmick like that lab experiment where the fire in the bottle uses the oxygen and sucks up the egg into the bottle...

Gimmick Edit:

\\Please use this version of the gimmick for judging and for use in the Sonic Worlds//

Okay, looking back at my gimmick, I realized I did several things wrong:

1) I didn't convert the momentum of the pod into Sonic's speed when Sonic comes out of it; I simply just set the same value into Sonic.

2) I didn't name the gimmick pieces correctly with the rest of the engine.

3) I didn't make it user-friendly enough to easily be implemented into the engine.

All three of these things have been fixed by adding a new speed conversion from pod momentum to Sonic speed, renaming the pieces to better fit with the other gimmicks, and making a creator object that puts together the pod pieces for you and also makes alignment to the ground and pole easy.

The links for the updated version are the same as my previous posts. =)

• 2 weeks later...