A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Blog: Update Discussion

Technique shown by yoshi last time revealed to be - Footstool Jump

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

[qimg]http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/images/technique03/technique03_070726d-l.jpg[/qimg]

It has a number of applications, the main one of which being that it functions as a meteor smash. Whether or not that means regular meteor smashes will be in or not is still unknown.

That technique is freaking awesome. It's not only limited to Yoshi though. (its under Control section).

I wonder if they allow you to use it while rising too. Either way i can see tons of neat battle techniques regarding this, espically if it stuns them as well. Now when someone is trying to get back on the stage, instead of jumping out and risking your life to stop them, you can just intercept them with a perfectly timed jump.

I hope it's able to cancel moves as well, like if Fox is trying to Firefox you or get back on the stage if you could intercept his exact trajectory and meteor him to the ground.

Or they could use it for Adventure Mode gimmicks or even Event Mode objectives.

This game is going to be frigging awesome. But for each new percision move they announce, the Possibility of Online Play is slipping farther and farther away.

Edit: @ DW

stage08_070725c-l.jpg

Meteors still exist. They would suck if they didn't.

This is #2 on my list of games to get. I shouldn't have to tell you what #1 is, as I've been waiting for it for over ten years. Anywho, this game looks to be awesome. I really hope they leave in online, but I won't be too upset if they take it out.

The Footstool Jump technique looks quitely nice. Like many of SSB's mechanic's, it's reminiscent of mechanics in Kirby Superstar. In this case, namely, it's reminiscent of the way you can super-jump off of your partner to get real high real quick. Plus it smashes the opponent down? Damn, that's a pretty important mechanic.

Also, Knuckle Joe is awesome. The world needs more Kirby Superstar.

That's really not the point. The mechanics, the animation, it's just more reminiscent to the Kirby Superstar jump. A lot of what made Kirby Superstar great, with regards to its game-engine, seems to find its way into the Super Smash Brothers series. I'm not saying it's not derivative of other works, I'm just saying it's reminiscent of Kirby Superstar [and considering the creator, I don't think this is a coincidence]. Nor am I saying it's not so far advanced from Superstar to be its own great game.

SSB reminds me of Superstar and is very much in the spirit of Superstar in some ways (Crazy Hands is a very Kirby master). Maybe this particular mechanic is too generic to actually attribute it to possible origins. Then again, SSBM already let you jump on top of insignificant characters (goombas, etc). And jumping off of characters of similar size, composition, and mechanics (more specifically jumping off of player-controlled or AI player-controlled characters) is really only something that the only game immediately coming to mind that lets you do it is Superstar (or perhaps it's in other Kirbys too).

But no arguments here on whether it's new and exciting or not :P.