A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Magic

wesker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my favorite effects are with cards, theres some really good visual tricks I can do with cards such as Card through window, or Card in a Ziplock bag or making a Hershey's kiss appear from a card (For the ladiessss :P)

But other effects I can do is Get a cap into a sealed bottle or a Coin into an unopened Soda can, then theres Ash Penetration and bending spoons/forks with my mind.

Theres also a cool effect called "Stigmata" that I just learned that makes predictions appear on your arm by a spectator squeezing it.

EDIT: The majority of the magic I do is of the impromptu non-gimmicked variety, so everything can be inspected and done close up, I don't do any stage type magic.

It's funny cause a lot of magicians don't really like Criss Angel, and the only effect that he does that's pretty cool isn't even his (Coin through Soda can,)which I just learned :P)

Heh, that ones a good one. I've recently just begun learning how some are done, and doing some card tricks. The one I really want to know how is what is known as the 'Spin Change' where you spin a card with one hand and it changes completely. I've seen some nice routines with this to liven it up a bit, but haven't been able to see how it's done yet. Anyone know?

That's... Not true at all. Like I said I don't do any stage magic (Strictly street magic) and I still get great responses and have great effects (That require no stooges in the audience or any fancy camera edits)

DizzyDoo, I think I know what you mean. Like changing an Ace of Spades to an Ace of Hearts? It work's a lot like an Erdnase color change. There are some good DVD's that you can pick up on color changes.

If you just want to learn the twirl change then Jay Nobelzada's "Color changes" DVD is good, but i think it's not good enough for the amount you pay to just get 12 color changes so if you pay a little more you can get 50 color changes with "Hot Shot Color Changes" Staring Ben Salindas, i'd say get the Hot Shot DVD.

Hot Shot: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1599

Color Changes: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1150

Either way they both have the twirl change.

What I mean is that this is how magic works for me now:

Watch trick on TV special, street guy, vegas show.

Proceed to be amazed for 1 second.

Think about trick for 2 seconds.

Realize how it was done for 3 seconds.

Go do something else.

I used to be REALLY into magic. I studied it hardcore and I can do my fair share of tricks, however its all just dead to me now. Probably the only trick that still fascinates me is David Copperfield swapping two chicks' panties... that never gets old.

Personally I never really was big on watching Magic on TV (I feel the same about a lot of things, Sports included). I like to actually do it instead of watching someone else do it, and that's what keeps magic alive. If anything having a TV special could actualy ruin a performance if you're doing a trick that someone has already seen.

As for guessing how they do it on TV, I am not doubting that you figured out methods (Cause you totally can) but more often than not you can be wrong on it cause most of any Magic on TV is also designed to fool magicians (So that they can sell the tricks later on lol)

Instead of relying on TV magic to keep it alive for you, go out and randomly perform, that should add a spark.

The last is the classic "quarter in the ear" trick, but for some reason everyone figures that one out >_<

It's all in the performance man! Do it in front of a mirror until you're satisfied. If the laymen try and figure it out, move on to another trick or don't divulge them :P

Well if you can think of any tricks that can be performed behind a bar I'd be interested. I'm always looking for ways to entertain my patrons. And yeah, most of the magic I've done is either a) from that series of magic tricks... I forget what they were called, but that disapearing queen trick comes to mind, B) other "magic" sets, and c) anything I picked up from Mac King... also The Amazing Randy's book was quite useful for teaching me one of my favorite tricks "How many cards."

Hmm, I perform a lot of tricks AT bars, but never behind. Not sure how people would take to a magical bar tender, but then again I am 100% sure that there are some sooo....

Just off the top of my head, Prohibition is probably the best one you could start with. Thats the trick where you can put a bottlecap through a closed glass beer bottle (Ask me about Prohibition if you really want to do it because it does require a gimmick and that could change your attitude). Uhm... You can do Infusion (Coin through a drinking glass), or coin through soda can although I am not sure how practical that would be because I am sure any soda you have at the bar is fountain soda.

Card tricks never fail and are easy to work in.

What sort of magic are you really into?