A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

I've already checked... All the colors I've used are on the MD color range. And it will add a only few more colors to the palette.

BTW, what graphic conversion tool are you using? A custom one?

The "MD color range" is more limited than you think. RGB values are locked to intervals of 32, so the choices of value are 0, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192 and 224. Not only that, but "not using up two palettes" doesn't work here. Remember, this is just the far background, what about the foreground tiles? There isn't that much space to work with. Also, including the fact that the water has a rotating palette, that also duplicates some of the blues in the palette.

I do actually know what I'm doing when it comes to Mega Drive artwork, dear. Believe me, I've tried to get something looking nice so it looks faded.

As for a blue planet.. eh, no. It looks weird. o_O

The "MD color range" is more limited than you think. RGB values are locked to intervals of 32, so the choices of value are 0, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192 and 224.

I know. Three bits for each color channel. That's why I clamped the color channels using my MD graphic converter. If you've looked at the pixels and noticed they're not using the values you mentioned, it's because I've enhanced brightness and contrast, because else it would look too dark. The MD threats 111 on all color channels as white, not as RGB(224,224,244)... Emulators normally "fix" this by adding 31 to all the color channel values, but then black and other dark colors get screwed. Anyway, that's not the point.

Not only that, but "not using up two palettes" doesn't work here. Remember, this is just the far background, what about the

foreground tiles?

It really depends on the foreground. If you're going for the SCD style, the foreground doesn't use many colors; that is, 15 more colors should be enough, considering you can always reuse some of the colors used on the background, leaving additional colors for detail.

There isn't that much space to work with. Also, including the fact that the water has a rotating palette, that also duplicates some of the blues in the palette.

Well, I have to admit, I didn't take this in account.

As for a blue planet.. eh, no. It looks weird. o_O

It doesn't need to be blue... It should look like if it was additive blended with the sky, like when the moon appears during day.

Wow, very original. It looks a little too fast to control though. I noticed it was hard for you to jump at the enemies.
Mhmm - thats what I need to work on...

But I'm not sure what I can do about it...

I'm thinking of reworking the engine with a running system... That way the player can run at hi speeds when holding a key or something, and can walk normally otherwise... that would make it easier to deal with enemies and objects.

blah blah blah

I know the Mega Drive doesn't "lock" colours to 32 etc intervals, it's just how it comes out looking nicest, and also how the original image did it, hence why your colours looked feckered. It's also how a majority of editors see the palettes, not to mention emulators. It also makes it easy to calculate what values should be used for colour.

Using your little thing as a semi-colour guide, how be this then. :|

bg_opinions_anim.gif

I figure I'll just have to use those colours in the level somehow too.

EDIT: Now animated.

I hope videos are okay.

I made this a while back and released it over at Sonic Cage Dome.

It's a Sonic Engine for RPGMaker2k - complete with documentation.

I'm planning on adding to it and making it a bit easier to use.

SONIC RM2K ENGINE TEST VIDEO

Original, and a nice refreshing break from the horrid Sonic/Final Fantasy hybrid games, but it still has flaws. Many. One of them I think would be the 4 directional movement. It should be 8 directional, thats adds for less restricted movement and alot more (non frustrating) fun.

Another would be no acceleration. He should accelerate so that you can do little things (Like stopping and then jumping into an enemy) without a full burst of speed and running out of control.

Last would be the jumping. How about a quick spindash (that only goes 3 or 4 steps forward) instead of a jump? I've always seen jumping in an RPG game as very unnecessary and frustrating.

One more thing I guess would be the sprites. The enemy could use some work, and the dash pads are aweful. Oh, and the spring movement looks jerky and wierd.

Original, and a nice refreshing break from the horrid Sonic/Final Fantasy hybrid games, but it still has flaws. Many. One of them I think would be the 4 directional movement. It should be 8 directional, thats adds for less restricted movement and alot more (non frustrating) fun.

Another would be no acceleration. He should accelerate so that you can do little things (Like stopping and then jumping into an enemy) without a full burst of speed and running out of control.

Last would be the jumping. How about a quick spindash (that only goes 3 or 4 steps forward) instead of a jump? I've always seen jumping in an RPG game as very unnecessary and frustrating.

One more thing I guess would be the sprites. The enemy could use some work, and the dash pads are aweful. Oh, and the spring movement looks jerky and wierd.

I am remaking this engine, 8Way Movement is deffinetly supposed to be in there, I'm just having trouble with it.

I'm no good with running engines, but I'm gonna try to implement a key that can be specified and pressed to control weather your walking or running.

Spindash has proven to have many flaws and bugs in rpgmaker, but *shrugs*

The sprites are not my own, and I ripped all the springs and game materials.