A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Kingdom Valley 2D, Act 2

BlazeHedgehog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1) The Engine is not mine to give out. First and foremost it is Damizean's engine at it's core, but it was also heavily modified by a friend of mine and then further modified by me to change/disable/add features I wanted.

#2) I don't like that Silver sprite. (The quills on the back of his head are way too big)

#3) Walljumping IS supported by the engine - but - I disabled it. Walljumping is NOT a major feature in Sonic 2k6; it is used in small, specific circumstances.

I may be releasing a new version of this again. Kulock graciously provided me with a recording of Sonic 2k6's demo in which I can rip sound effects from the game (with no background music or anything). Jackel, one of the creators of the original engine I use for the demo, also suggested I put in a "Hard Mode" when you beat Mission Mode.

I want to do these things before I post the final version of Kingdom Valley 2D on my website. But that will be after Halloween at the earliest, as I am working on my annual Halloween project right now.

For real. What's so bad about it?

It's not oldschool for this bunch, just because a newbie ( not used in an offensive manner here, look up newbie and noob before you bitch about it ) asked if it could be included in the game, and probably because he asked about the source code.

1.) A person can ASK cant they? you lot probably asked for source's back in the day too.

2.) I probably would use wall kick alot if it was included, but since its not, stop bitching about it, *You Lot*

Looks like somebody doesn't know about our disliking for Wall Jumping...

DW? Care to enlighten the lad?

Certainly.

Wall Jumping is a gimicky feature that helps save the level designer some work. It was cool at first certainly, but consider that before wall jumping, Sonic games had crazy groups of springs to achieve the same effect at a much higher pace, then you see that it just isn't really nessecary. The biggest use of wall jumping is sequence breaking, and that really isn't that great a thing to have in a Sonic game. Its great for Metroid games of course.

Thinking on that, wall jumping becomes a boring recycled attempt at a stage gimick that simply doesn't have variety and is recycled throughout a game. It even offers players a bypass to gimicks in many locations that could add more variety such as the spindash elevator in Lava Reef Zone.

What if the lift broke down, or wasnt coded yet sir?

Then I bet youd be wanting that damn wall kicking back, and well, its their game, if they want to be lazy and make some breaks from time to time, let them do so, I doubt youd really notice, since it would probably last only 1-3 seconds?

yeah, in heroes and shadow it was just annoying, as you tended to fall off alot. the wall running was cool though, especially when you could do it for unlimited amounts of time with a action replay, however, that is irrelevant in the 2d game as you do that and running on the ceiling already. and springs go boing, which is nice

You are missing what I'm saying. It isn't that it is executed poorly, its that its completely unnesscary and only serves to make a universal method to transcend a large number of obstacles.

So are these:

- Jumping

- Skidding

- Spindashing

- Rolling

- Springing

- Swimming ( Knuckles/Tails, Sadv3 )

- Climbing

- Flying

Not even close. Climbing and flying were pretty much useless in the areas that weren't specifically designed for them in S3K. More over, Sonic doesn't have these skills. Sonic is supposed to get through the level with basic skills rather than cheesy gimicky things like wall jumping and flying.

And also, those answers sound like they were made while you were out of your mind. I don't see how skidding ever helped anyone transcend an obstacle. And spindashing and rolling... those are the utmost basic gameplay features.

Seriously though, saying skidding automatically makes that post retarded.