A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Blyde

Just thought I should add some new news, a playable demo at the TGS showed us how Shadow plays on foot, his not as fast as he use to be mind you.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3568_en.html

Thats because he doesn't use Energize battiers in his shoes. He uses that poor old Duracell.

Its' been known for a while now tho, that he isn't as fast as he was, and no longer compares to sonic's speed on foot. =P

I guess it's finally settled. Sonic is faster than Shadow. xD

Scatta: I'm kind of glad they are intentionally resorting to the old formula instead of trying to make something new. Sega has failed miserably every time they've attempted to do this, not to mention I've craved an SA3 for a long time now. I don't know if storywise it would really be a sequel to all the mixed up crap that goes on, but at the games heart it might be.

Actually, now that I think about it (this is kindof tangenty, bear with me)... If they are going to do this right and not with all the "OMG FRIENDSHIP IS THE BEST!" childish crap Sonic Rush had, this SHOULD be Blaze's first meeting with Sonic, as the handheld games save for Battle have never taken place within the same continuity as the console games.

O: Impressions plz.

This is what I got from another person:

• Seems like Sonic Adventure (camera less annoying-controllable with the right stick).

• E3 demo. (wtf?)

• Sonic only

• Kingdom Valley stage, several paths to take

• Rankings

• Movements:

-Jump

-Homing Attack

-Spin Dash

-Bound Jump (?)

• Homing attack needs work - slowish

• Sonic accelerates somewhat too fast

• No bump mapping (lolz Scatta)

• Not every enemy has a life bar

Like, eww. Should have released the TGS demo, but it was only running on PS3s so duh :P

I'm thinking "bound jump" might be "bounce jump" or something. And you could pan the camera around with the shoulder buttons in the original. Never really bothered me. Yay multiple paths!

"Homing attack needs work - slowish"

See.. this is exactly what I mean. No matter what Sega/Sonic Team does they can't win. People used to complain that whenever they used the homing attack they went flying off platforms. So they slow it down and, ::gasp::, it's too slow. Whatever.

Indeed Scatta, people complain too much with Sonic games. Personally, Sonic Adventure 2 homing attack was flawless for me, and I never was sent flying off any platforms or attacked the wrong enemy. People are just crap at Sonic games, they want excuses to blame their crappyness I bet XD

And I phoned my friend again, I'll be giving it a shot after collage...wait I should be studying right now...

I guess it's finally settled. Sonic is faster than Shadow. xD

Yeah... for now. Just a couple games back they were saying Shadow was faster than Sonic.

EDIT:

Indeed Scatta, people complain too much with Sonic games. Personally, Sonic Adventure 2 homing attack was flawless for me, and I never was sent flying off any platforms or attacked the wrong enemy. People are just crap at Sonic games, they want excuses to blame their crappyness I bet XD

Did you ever play Final Rush objective 5? Near the beginning of the stage there is an enemy that is 100% impossible to homing attack. If you try to homing attack it the targetting of the homing attack will always be slightly off to the side of the enemy.

Anyway, I think that might actually have been deliberate though. It rarely ever happens with other enemies in SA2. It was either deliberate or just bad placement of the targeting thing.

Steve Hedgehog's Review of the demo:

First off, I would like to say I am sick of all the trolls who have reviewed the demo so far. They have all trash talked the demo, saying it was "Un-playable, Dull, Ugly". I say to them, THE ____ING GAME JUST CAME OUT. You cant just Run through the demo once and call it crap. You need to get used to the Game first.

Ok on to the Main Review

When I woke up this wonderfull morning, I knew today was the first day of X06, So I fire up the xbox 360 and See the demo. As a sonic fanboy, I yelled (woke up my dad too). I downloaded it and noticed, Wow thats a small file size. So after about 6 minutes of waiting I launched the demo. No Silver or shadow, But i dident care, Sonic was my main Hog anyway. So the Demo Begins, And I told myself I wanted to take a good look at sonic before I sped out into the world. Sonics Model has Never looked better. No plastic, Just Textured Glory. So off I went. I encountered the first Help Post, The announcer seems alot like Sean Connery, But No omochao (praise god). The Homing attack has changed, No longer can you just Tap A and smash all the enemys. When you do the homing attack on a ememy, There is a short pause inbetween. I personally like this change. In sonic adventure, I would homming attack about 4 ememys, and like an idiot, I fell to the side and died. But in STH06, You can plan a quick second Desicion at your last enemy. The speed is wonderfull. It isent OMG UBER HAX fast, But a little faster than the previous games. The Spindash IS back, But sucks Huge balls. You can no longer spindash and jump. You have to spindash and to stop eather hit an enemy or press X. The new Kick attack is pretty nice, Nothing major, but nice. The Slide attack is just wierd. While Running you hold X and release and you slide. As like the spindash have to hit an object or X to stop. Now, the unexpected thing I was suprised by, The bounce attack is here! Very good for fighting Huge Robots. On the topic of robots. I know most people here HATED the life bars in Shadow and Sonic Heroes, Well in STH06, The bar is your sex partner. In the demo, only 10% of the robots had them, And it only took 3 hits. The bar isent a problem whatsoever. This game feels like your sonic. I took different paths and somtimes a Huge robot would land in front of me. I took the sonic approach. I ran under his legs and blasted him with a good bounce attack. In conclusion, This game WILL be the sonic game to bring back the series. Jason G is pretty good this time around. Camera is a little probelmatic, But NO were as bad as SA.

My final Judgement:

Pros: Old sonic feeling

Speed

Sonic Looks fantastic

Many paths to take

Cons: camera is a little wonkey

No Ryan drummond

Demo gets a 8/10

DW I'll have to check into that, I've never taken any of the side routes in Final Rush, since all they do is add onto my timer and not much else.

I'd agree with most thing SonicDude3 did say, the machines that have health bars, at least look like they should have health bars XD I mean, you can't expect em all to be destroyed in one hit would ya? And there were multiple routes (as well as a ton of rings) scattered about, it was pretty nice, diffinatly a hugh improvement thanks to that. Still expect their to be a few good pits of deaths (okay, maybe a few more then few XD) but it was nice fun, although I'm I going to give it a 7/10 for now, its not a master piece but its not a "OMG SAWNIK SUCKXXX" either. I'd still say people make their own opinions on it.

Also, heard word that this might not even be the E3 build of the game, I've heard people go as far as to say its the 05 TGS build of the engine, so I'm a bit puzzeled there 0_o

This game is pretty much sold for me, but this is all i would like to see

-SA2 Sonic Voice, please god.

-SA2 Shadow voice, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS AND THE FATHER IN HEAVEN....

-Kill whoever did the singing for His World. Bring back Crush 40 please, they have YET to produce a song that diddnt kick ass. The rap for His World was great, then this guy came out of nowhere and sent hot plastic from my melting headphones pouring down the side of my face.

-Please, WHY wont they give shadow his old SA2 running animation(S) back? He looks stupider and stupider with each new animation they give him (which usually involves taking away the others and just sticking a single animation on at the same speed.)

-Visiuals look awsome, Sonic seems to have kept his old image (which i thought they trashed, im glad i saw the CGI.). Give us another SA1/2 storyline, not a SH/ShtH one. (which means dont make it suck.)

-I repeat, wheres shadow's old voice?

-ONCE AGAIN, if you would only replace shadow's old voice, id never ask for him to be killed ever again.

-Dont make tails a little _____.

-Impossible

-Impossible

-Sonic Heroes? Doesn't Matter? The crappy team sonic theme song? All of me? Someone bring back that european chick who did the Sonic R vocals, she was so much better than any of these "New Punk" ppls. (Don't you dare tell me Zebrahead isn't Punk)

-I don't see the problem

-I doubt story is an issue... ShtH's story wasen't THAT bad, it's just that the foundation for it was already on shaky ground.

-no

-no

-Too late.

-Sonic Heroes? Doesn't Matter? The crappy team sonic theme song? All of me? Someone bring back that european chick who did the Sonic R vocals, she was so much better than any of these "New Punk" ppls. (Don't you dare tell me Zebrahead isn't Punk)

Sorry Shadix, but none of those singers caused hot plastic to run down my ears when played through my headphones.

And i HIGHLY doubt Crush 40 did anything from Sonic R.

And i dont listen to punk.

Shadix: Too bad. Zebrahead's not punk. That's already been cleared up. Deal with it. And I know no true punk bands that have rappers. Emphasis on the "true" part being that true punk rock movement has been over for quite some time now. Punk rock was an anti-establishment movement. :P

Aerosol: As far as I know those vocals were simply a test. Afterall, they've changed the music since then. We're not going to know for sure for a bit now.

DW I'll have to check into that, I've never taken any of the side routes in Final Rush, since all they do is add onto my timer and not much else.

I'd agree with most thing SonicDude3 did say, the machines that have health bars, at least look like they should have health bars XD I mean, you can't expect em all to be destroyed in one hit would ya? And there were multiple routes (as well as a ton of rings) scattered about, it was pretty nice, diffinatly a hugh improvement thanks to that. Still expect their to be a few good pits of deaths (okay, maybe a few more then few XD) but it was nice fun, although I'm I going to give it a 7/10 for now, its not a master piece but its not a "OMG SAWNIK SUCKXXX" either. I'd still say people make their own opinions on it.

Also, heard word that this might not even be the E3 build of the game, I've heard people go as far as to say its the 05 TGS build of the engine, so I'm a bit puzzeled there 0_o

Its not on a side-route, its on the primary root just slightly after the big 1000 point jump off the grind rail. There are two paths down to the next tier somewhere really close to there and one is just a grind rail going down while the other is an enemy on a platform.