A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog - New Screenshots! (Shadow is finally seen!)

Redsonic

DW, everyone's a geek in some way, IMHO. Sports geeks memorize all those stupid stats. Music geeks know all that crap about which bands are performing where and what albums have what songs and have all those stupid arguments about god-knows what. I don't care what people think of me anymore.

I have all of the Sonic handheld games. I took my sister to McDonalds every day so I wouldn't have to get a kids meal for myself.

Oh, and when we heard "back to his roots", we figured it'd be just running and jumping on doods and having a ball. Now I'm gonna eb shooting and moving stuff with my mind. The shooting/driving thing flopped in Shadow, and I have low expectations for Silver.

All plots are too complicated for children. The best way to entertain children is with the use of one of two devices... the cheap laugh and gratuitous action sequences.

We hate Sonic Heroes because it was supposed to be awesome. It had everything from being the first of... what was at the time... next-gen Sonic game to the return of the Chaotix. We were promised less orientation on plot and more orientation on action. Then the action was half baked and the plot was as complex as ever but it was underdeveloped. Less orientation on the plot doesn't mean having a slightly complex plot and then paying attention to it for 2 seconds and hoping to have a complete story. Less orientation on the plot would have meant something simple that could be conveyed in only the action of the game as the old Sonic games were. What we had was something that couldn't have been conveyed without the use of words and thus it was too much to be the minimalist approach but too little to be a decent attempt at a story.

Oh, and when we heard "back to his roots", we figured it'd be just running and jumping on doods and having a ball. Now I'm gonna eb shooting and moving stuff with my mind. The shooting/driving thing flopped in Shadow, and I have low expectations for Silver.

Ha. If I know SEGA, there's a good chance they'll claim the Dreamcast era was what they were talking about concerning 'roots'.

Who says Sonic isn't the main star? As far as I see, he is still the character that gives the games their name. The focus of the story isn't always the protagonist you know. I've seen a number of books with the antagonist being the main character (don't even ask me how that works...) and the protagonist being relatively minor...

Oh eh sorry, was meant to say the spot light has shifted a bit, pre-Adventure 2, the main "big bad boss" could have been taken done by Sonic himself, no need for Shadow, Knuckles, Tails or anyone, Sonic could have done it himself, but ever since then his always needed the help of the secondary characters to be able to pull off the final victory, thats what I don't like.

And yes, I know about the antagonist being the main character, like Kain from the Legacy of Kain series, although I haven't read a book were the antagonist is the main star mind you...

I don't mind a game that doesn't have a specific star. FF6 kinda reminds me of that in how the leading dude isn't the focus of the game (I never beat it, so if it changes later on, ignore that comment :X)

The thing is, Sonic's not as cool as he used to be. He's all about teamwork and crap, but if I rmember correctly, Sonic was a self-centered dude who kicked ass and knew he kicked ass, and was never scared of anything. Today...I dunno...something feels different about him...

Too lazy to read through those 8 pages of what is most likely "No, Shadw ar teh baxorz!","Shawo r emo lawl!", and the always-present "Whereat be Sonic!" So yea..

As far as the DC thing: Sonic Adventure pretty much WAS oldschool style. It contained many of the same things that started to go amiss after that game. You were always able to pick your players in the older games; if you were Sonic then Tails would follow you around; a number of levels had ladders, swings, and monkeybars; and levels like Sky Chase were simply awesome. Sonic Adventure 2, while lacking a number of things from the previous game was also awesome. It's only since the Dreamcast died that they began to get away from what Sonic was about. Returning to Dreamcast era is alot better than continuing what they've been doing. As far as I know the majority of us here, liked the Sonic Adventure series.

Onto the whole "Metal Shadow" thing. Erm.. as far as I knew this was reboot. I was pretty certain it was, and if it's not chances are this games story (not the gameplay, mind you) is ruined before it even starts because many plotholes and annoying things will have to be dealt with in addition to the new characters, and "human world" that is much more vast than that of SA. And if it is a reboot, chances are the story behind Shadow will be heavily refined, hopefully to the point where his story is actually a good story- the way it was in Sonic Adventure 2. It was only Heroes and StH that made me hate him (but not just because he had guns, I thought it was just plain slippery).

I really am looking forward to this game. The only thing that has me weary so far is the hedgehog-dominated cast, and the lack of the other main characters (Amy, Tails, and Knuckles). I mean.. it's to the point where the only things I can see wrong with what I'm looking at are things like "ohmahbob no bump maps!" I haven't been this stoked since I first put Sonic Adventure into my Dreamcast.

Right. Sonic would kick ass, and Tails would tag along cause he idolizes him, and occasionally help, and Sonic would say "thanks little buddy", pat him on the head, and then kick more ass. Then he teamed with Knux near the end of S3&K, which was cool cause Knux was a badass guy who went his own way too. Then Sonic and Knux went their own ways.

SA and SA2 were fine, IMO. He was still badass by SA2. And the ending of SAdv2 was kinda epic (the music building up as he dived to grab Cream's mom's hand)

Then Sonic Heroes comes...I mean, listen to the team Sonic theme...Though "What I'm Made of" was sweet. Still though, he seemed a tad less cool.

Then the anime comes, and he's suddenly aquaphobic (might not be a word.) I mean, how's a badass who used to be fearless suddenly afraid of water? I recall him doing just fine in the water levels in the games (though he couldn't swim, so I'll give the anime that one)

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to this game, more so then say, Super Mario Galaxy, but when I get a Sonic game, I want just that, Sonic styled characters running around at such fast speed that makes you dizzy. I have no problem with Shadow in the game or Silver, the problem is that they don't have the same pace in a level as Sonic would and might start to get slightly annoying ^_^ (Remembers some of Eggmans levels on Sonic Adventure 2, while I always had fun in both of Sonic and Shadows levels, favourites being Pyramid Cave and Final Rush =P)

It be better if they had the same gameplay style, but something made one more unique of the other, for example Sonic can run over water, Silver can use his psychic powers to break down walls and such and Shadow can use his chaos powers for something. I don't really want to be driving a heavily amoured car or walking at the pace of a normal person as a human, what I'd rather like to do is run like a crazy sod.

He was afraid of water in the comics I used to read...I remember Robotnik once inventing a bubble to trap Sonic inside underwater. I doubt you would count that as canon though.

You talking about when he was about to robotize Amy or are you talking about a completely different issue, because I don't remember Robotnik trapping Sonic underwater in that issue. And Grimer invented the bubble thing.

Eraysor: Oh really? When Sonic Heroes was first shown everyone flipped out. I remember tons of positive comments, hell I made a few myself.

PG: Yea.. I see what you mean about Sonic X. But umm Sonic wasn't ALWAYS fearless. They said it in the games, but it was never really portrayed. There are pictures of him all Mickey Mouse-esque with a bike and crap. Some of it looked badass, some of it didn't. If anything I'd be pissed about Knuckle's portrayal (sp?).

Umm.. the way I see it the whole Sonic pats Tails on the head thing SHOULD be changing. Tails, although none of the characters actually age, shouldn't be a loser-kid forever. That's what I liked about SA, at the end he had done something for himself. SA2 didn't follow through with that, and then Heroes bitchslapped it. It'd be nice for Tails to develop a bit better. I don't want the Sonic-Knux relationship reverting back to the way it was in the Genesis days, either, but I do want some of that "I can handle it, if I need you I'll call" vibes. I'd really like more of the confusion that Knuckles had at the beginning of SA when he was talking about how he was destined to guide the ME but wasn't sure why. I was Knux to be around when they need him, but to have his own agenda again.

And as much as I may sound like a fanboy saying this, one of the things that the Sonic series is missing is a love-triangle or some kind of love story aspect. Yes, Sonic and Knuckles are supposed to be badass. Yes Sonic is supposed to see Tails as a younger brother as Tails tries to find himself and do bigger things, but something I want to see is the characters used correctly. I'm not saying actually have the characters in bf/gf relationships but some sort of understanding that there's something there, and not the way the Rouge/Knuckles thing was done. Sonic and Amy is probably a bad example because of ages and whatnot, but at some point in the future the team or director should have Sonic at least acknowledge that he cares about her. And no, I'm not adding anything there that isn't. Granted he's a hero and he's supposed to save people but there's no way she annoys him as much as he's portrayed to because he's always there to bail her out, and she does the same. Cheesy, maybe, but if they hire decent writers and all this stuff (such as Sonic and Knux being badass again) comes into play at the same time, chances are it won't be.

Edit: I think about crap too much. xD

PG: Yea.. I see what you mean about Sonic X. But umm Sonic wasn't ALWAYS fearless. They said it in the games, but it was never really portrayed. There are pictures of him all Mickey Mouse-esque with a bike and crap. Some of it looked badass, some of it didn't. If anything I'd be pissed about Knuckle's portrayal (sp?).

Speaking about that...

Sonic_mad.jpg

016.jpg

Thanks to Gaga for posting the original topic.

EDIT: Yes, this is what might have been Sonic the Hedgehog, and they were hidden away in the gems collection.

PG:.. Okay see, don't do that. That's like saying that just because someone's in prison that nothing scares them. Just because you've shot a guy doesn't mean you're suddenly not going to be afraid of heights, or spiders, or whatever else it is you have a phobia for. I mean I get your point, but don't start saying stupid things.

I don't know about you all, but I for one, am glad that Sonic wasn't a badass hedgehog fighting walking hands, a fat guy in a bee costume, and a running exclamation point. But that's just me.

Edit: Rael, he's obviously floating because he's a badass gangsta.

Just incase anyone would like to see the other pictures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/GagaMan/009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/GagaMan/011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/GagaMan/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/GagaMan/017.jpg

Notice how theres an even more evil looking dude then Eggman, and how that woman seemed to be some sort of love intrest for Sonic?

Yeah maybe SEGA decided they should give Sonic a human love intrest after years of leaving that on the drawing boards.