A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Thanks guys! ^_^

Wow, all these new screenshots are making me froth at the mouth. @w@ Spike, that title screen is awesome, and the space theme makes it even more awesome. It kinda reminds me of a mix between Sonic and Gunstar Heroes at the moment.

Overbound, is that bottom screenshot from the future? If so, I like how the colors give off something of a Bad Future vibe without going into nightmare terrority. That bird badnik on the sheet is also really cool. :3

Thanks guys! ^_^

Overbound, is that bottom screenshot from the future? If so, I like how the colors give off something of a Bad Future vibe without going into nightmare terrority. That bird badnik on the sheet is also really cool. :3

Everything I've shown recently is from Drifting Dynamo Future yeah. I haven't even started working on the past yet. However the future tile set is almost done and the past is always easier as I have something to work from.

@ Tailssena: You know you can get the screenshot URL and post it here right?

ASFbI.jpg

FYzPz.jpg

pqcDu.jpg

Now that I can see them, what the bloody hell is with all the random tiles? It has like 0% consistency in terms of a level. I'd love to hear what type of description you'd give this as a level. My description would be "EVERYTHING!". Mashing zones together like this just looks completely fucked up though in my opinion. I say just like, PICK ONE!

Only thing that is good is that you have maintained a sprite style. "Advance" in this case. At-least that's one thing solved.

@ snow toilet: That is a spring animation. Which is an edit from a SonicBattle jumping pose.

Okay, TailsSena, that is just a shitstorm of random tiles... Why is it part grassland, part musical, part space, part techno, part... sheesh. Levels should actually have a theme, not just a grab bag of random pieces. I mean, there's a reason Sega never does that. It looks bad.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere right? Mixing tiles inconsistently can be a good thing, as long as inconsistent is what you are going for. But you have to do it... consistently. Be uniform in your lack of uniformity. You know, like Pop Tarts.

YES! Thank you! SOMEBODY get's the point! :tgrin:

My plan was to make it crazy, and like Blaze said "EVERYTHING" Throwing things together can actually be more fun that legitimate level design... And sometimes it turns-out really nice!

Here's some zoomed-out screens of the whole thing.

EWaoZ.jpg

WdhQg.jpg

OK, so between work and what have you, I've managed to continue practicing with contrast.

Note that this won't be what Knuckles will look like however I'd rather it not be used.

I've decided to tackle a tougher character and go with him as my practice.

How did I do?

Untitled-2.png?t=1311175097

Excuse the ridiculous look.

It was just something I edited just to practice with.

I feel I'm very close with this one.

I like it a lot. I think that the hands looks slightly too high and the spikes on the gloves look really long.

Btw that animation is just a place holder for springing animation.

Ah, gotcha.

That really made me curious.

I guess it was just the position he was in.

Thanks for getting to me on that.

But yeah, the gloves were placed there because I guess I didn't want to throw in arms due to laziness which is something I should work on if I want to obtain good looks for sprites.

And yeah, I just noticed the spikes.

Good looking out.

Honestly, something I'm going to attempt is to make the characters do idle movements.

Similar to that of Vectorman or even the PSX Mega Man X sprites.

So after fixing the gloves problem on my practice, I'll try that.

Lastly, I know this is getting ridiculous, I don't know if I want to keep his Chaotix colors or work with a brand new set.

So I'll figure that out soon too.

Also, I'm very excited to show the first level design I'm making.

So expect something excellent, as far as a few tiles, go in a few days.

OK, so between work and what have you, I've managed to continue practicing with contrast.

Note that this won't be what Knuckles will look like however I'd rather it not be used.

I've decided to tackle a tougher character and go with him as my practice.

How did I do?

[qimg] Untitled-2.png?t=1311175097 [/qimg]

Excuse the ridiculous look.

It was just something I edited just to practice with.

I feel I'm very close with this one.

Looks pretty good to me dude. Just some touch-ups to some specific areas need doing, but overall. I'd like it if I saw it in Chaotix XD.

Looks pretty good to me dude. Just some touch-ups to some specific areas need doing, but overall. I'd like it if I saw it in Chaotix XD.

Thank you.

I'll get to that right after I get out of work tonite.

I'm on the air again tonight from 11pm to 5am playing the best of classical hip hop from Sade all the way to Dhar Braxton.

Prepare for the vibe.

(That's my line that's been pre-recorded and played before every one of my shows. Just add the Snow Toilet/Soul Elvis in and there you go.)

My gf figured out where the influence for the look came from.

It's very much an influential mixture of Sonic R through Sonic 06' and a tinge of the Advance series.

So I'll take a look at some areas to fix and put in arms, fix the face and we should be good to go.

But isn't "Sonic R through Sonic 06' and a tinge of the Advance series" pretty much just... Sonic R and almost everything after?

My gf figured out where the influence for the look came from.

It's very much an influential mixture of Sonic R through Sonic 06' and a tinge of the Advance series.

Off topic:

I wish my girlfriend was into Sonic like that. She thought Tails was a girl until I told her otherwise.