A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

The Sonic Adventure Engine made more progress, mostly because my experience with Little Big Planet's similar system of 'logic bricks'. Added ring counter thanks to someone who is also working on a blender game (www.youtube.com/user/Chishado) So feature now are:

- Jump, Double Jump

- Spindash (not fully working)

- Dashpanels (In progress)

- Rings, Ring Counter/HUD

- Springs

So yeah you could possibly actually make something with this version of the engine, just would need to know how to import your own assets and build off of it. But this one is not up for release, yet.

Edited by Light The Hedgehog

Dude, Neo, a simple pallette swap would do that background well. Just make it like at night or something. Then we can focus on the character's actions, which as we know are ESSENTIAL TO A FIGHTER. We must be able to differentiate characters from one another.

That's actually kind of a problem with the roster aswell... There are like 10 hedgehogs, and maybe 5 characters whose primary color is black. That Radical Highway type stage you showed in a video was great, and was easy on the eyes too.

Dude, Neo, a simple pallette swap would do that background well. Just make it like at night or something. Then we can focus on the character's actions, which as we know are ESSENTIAL TO A FIGHTER. We must be able to differentiate characters from one another.

That's actually kind of a problem with the roster aswell... There are like 10 hedgehogs, and maybe 5 characters whose primary color is black. That Radical Highway type stage you showed in a video was great, and was easy on the eyes too.

there are no radical highway type stages in sonic speed fighters 2.......... so what do you mean.......

NZgL9gM.png

i'm guessing you mean those 5?

also

10 hedgehogs thing, ehh i don't see how either of those are problems dude, and besides

20 characters, the roster is final

The Sonic Adventure Engine made more progress, mostly because my experience with Little Big Planet's similar system of 'logic bricks'. Added ring counter thanks to someone who is also working on a blender game (www.youtube.com/user/Chishado) So feature now are:

- Jump, Double Jump

- Springs

So yeah you could possibly actually make something with this version of the engine, just would need to know how to import your own assets and build off of it. But this one is not up for release, yet.

This is pretty cool, but I'm wondering how you're going to handle loops and corkscrews? Scripted events like in the Adventures?

• Like 1

Guest Mr Lange

- Jump, Double Jump

- Springs

So far in these videos you've only shown Sonic on a single flat plane. He never interacts with slopes. He doesn't interact with a vertical wall. He doesn't even jump to another platform of a different height. Is any of this even in the engine yet or functional? If not, then:

So yeah you could possibly actually make something with this version of the engine

...isn't entirely true. Unless a large flat plane littered with enemies and gimmicks could be considered "something".

Edited by Mr Lange

The ring counter is a bit big, but that's my own opinion. lol

The thing that sticks out to me right now is that when Sonic touches the dash panel, he goes forward in the direction that is relative to the camera, instead of in the direction in which the dash panel is facing.  You're probably already aware of that thought.  Idea to "fix" it: have the camera snap to the direction of the dash panel is pointing just before Sonic is sent flying.  If I remember correctly, that's how SA did that in certain instances.  I dunno if it will work the best however.

• Like 1

Well, so I tested the Ranamon animations in-game, and... Well, shrunk down to the size it's supposed to be, it just looks like ass, to the point where she's practically unrecognizable. Well, that's awkward. And I don't have the time to try and experiment with pixel art, so...

I decided to "cheat".

Rather than a direct fight against Ranamon herself, she bails right before you enter her boss room (because Myotismon ordered her to, as he's genre-savvy enough to know when things are going south), and leaves you to fight two drones shaped like her hands while she mocks you with a gigantic hologram of herself.

The hands themselves move into various positions to attack, such as rotating in a fixed position in a circle around you while firing projectiles (requiring you to watch where you're moving to evade), or aiming at you from above and firing downwards while moving from side to side after firing. Zoe/Kazemon is trapped at the top of the arena, and you can free her to make her a co-op/AI partner before the fight ends, but you have to manipulate the arms to hit the teleporters to turn them on in order to reach her.

Still trying to work out an optimal setup for the camera, I might be inclined to just not have it fixed to any particular position, unlike other boss fights, since the arena is so big.

RanaHologram.png

Yeah, not nearly what I was originally planning to do with this one, but that's what happens when you're constrained by a lack of art assets.

Edited by Candescence
  • Like 2

Ah, I'm home. So okay, the engine is capable of platforming in general, but I have not yet made it to where you snap on angles. I think the problems is because it sets the localYmotion to a certain number depending on how long you hold the button. I was having troubles coding a Velocity Animation script because for some reason, it wouldn't animate more than the idle, so I took a workaround and I think that is interfering with some logic that should snap him to the ground so I had to disable it for now.

As for the dash panel that's a good idea! Really good Idea. I originally had it track to an object in front of the dash panel but I can only have one object with a certain name, and how tracking works is it tracks the object with that name. When duplicating it, it turns to the object from "objname" to "objname.001" and it won't track to that. So that is Much better idea, if I can figure it out.

RUFJNJi.png it's shaping up... it's shaping up!

• Like 1

8LVlV8b.png

So, I started working on Mas again. As you can see in this very WIP screenshot, the game looks slightly less gay now, due to the fact that I'm no longer limiting myself to a shitty color palette I made. Anyway, is there any perspective problems in the screenshot, like the positioning of the buildings, or the perspective of the clouds and grass? Are there any color issues either? Let me know.

A'hoy. I have some things to show and stuff. This is a proof of concept whipped together pretty quickly. Now instead of tracking to an object to make Sonic rotate, I added a simple direction variable and made it to where he rotates based on that, like most normal engines. So yeah this was just testing that concept and a velocity based animation python script.

EDIT: The music is kinda loud.

So far in these videos you've only shown Sonic on a single flat plane. He never interacts with slopes. He doesn't interact with a vertical wall. He doesn't even jump to another platform of a different height. Is any of this even in the engine yet or functional? If not, then:

...isn't entirely true. Unless a large flat plane littered with enemies and gimmicks could be considered "something".

I guess I forgot to post this one. It show's most of what you mentioned.

EDIT: UPDATE:

Hohohohoo! Well here's an update to that one thing. The blender engine I was making.

I accidentally left Highwire's SAGE video in the background. My earphone had came out awhile before I started recording. I can re-record if this isn't okay. But yeah. Lots of things redone. 

Oh and that's not a homing attack. The dash just happened to reach as far as the enemy was.

Edited by Light The Hedgehog

Coding; give it me now. > :(

The boost? It's seriously easy if you know where to start.

First, just copy the motobug coding and the object.

Then make a boost effect. Add, "Always, Set X Position to X {Badnik_BoostBug}", same for Y position. This will ensure that the boost will follow the motobug.

Then, "If Direction of Badnik_Boostbug =1, set direction of Boost to Right" and vice versa.

I think you would know where to continue now. (hinthint create boost when rest of boostbug is 0)

Edited by Sir Spacebar