A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Hahaha, I don't want to start that again (I really don't), it's just that the design and the, um, shading (?) reminds me of it since it has that noise that lake usually applies to his stuff. Looks really nice nonetheless.

may i remind everyone that i'm very bad at art in general and this was the first time I actually did original tilesets. References were probably in because I'm a very unoriginal thinker.

I've been working on some Blender engines (Sonic Engines) experimenting and trying to figure out control types and just how Blender game engine works in general. I'm trying to also learn some Python but after I probably am gonna work on my Fan Game before I make any more progress on these engines- I'd also have to learn a couple things before I can even make any progress.

8-Way Direction Movement based on Camera (Akin to BlitzSonic games)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4ROfheM1k&feature=youtu.be

Rotation Type Movement (Akin to most Blender 3rd person games) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSDBJLTVKc

I'm liking how the 8-way direction movement based Camera is turning out. The only things I can think of commenting are that I think the camera should zoom out a little bit more when Sonic get's up to full speed, and that the Running animation could use some tweaking. (that doesn't relate to the camera at all however)

ElDBtCn.png    aZMtFxA.png

1o1HeWP.png    ukg6JZq.png

QTnOayQ.png    oMdj9ug.png

Soap Struck Act 1 - Near Final

I'm really digging this man! :D The only thing I think you could add is some small, see-through soap bubbles that vary in size in the underwater(?) sections. Just purely for aesthetics.

SpXBxMY.png

This is my final tileset for emerald falls. Thanks InfinityAlex for reminding me that blandness is a no-no.

I'm loving that tileset and how it compliments the rest of the colour scheme in that level! c: It really does look nice. The inner part of The Sun's Halo could use some minor tweaking but that's just me being nit-picky.

• Like 1

Hahaha, I don't want to start that again (I really don't), it's just that the design and the, um, shading (?) reminds me of it since it has that noise that lake usually applies to his stuff. Looks really nice nonetheless.

I guess all flash videos remind you of egoraptor too huh

Some of them do, yeah.

Was I saying every fangame reminds me of Lake? No.

I was just pointing out what I noticed, no need to get all defensive.

EDIT: Here's what I mean.

Ad5i4GA.pngSpXBxMY.png

From the color scheme to the noise. (Lake's one is obviously completed, but you get why it reminded me of it).

Not really trying to shit on anyone. Just saying it reminded me of it a little xD

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 2

This looks really nice, reminds me a bit of Sonic BTS Aftermath tho.

Not really trying to shit on anyone. Just saying it reminded me of it a little xD

His tileset could be ripping off BTS. Or maybe Sunset Hill. Or maybe BTS inspired by Sunset Hill, point is the comparisons are redundant and tactless. I thought this was covered already in that one topic, where some guy gets his thread turned inside out because his graphics resemble the graphics from another fangame. 

you dont need to bring up Lake anytime someone unrelated shades with dithering, or has weathering effects in their levels, or places their game between genesis canon

So what if it looks like Lake's stuff. There isn't a fangame out that doesn't look like someone elses (unless you're Ironrind) or an official one. Only difference with lake is that his actually got finished. 

Edited by Serephim

@Serephim

...I was just saying,lol.

If I'd happen to see it's very similar to another fangame or official game, I would say the same thing. Just pointing it out, it has nothing personal to do with Lake.

@Taz

It's still part of the discussion and I'm talking about the picture that he posted. Am I supposed to keep it all to myself and not criticize his work? Then what's the point of this thread? Just showing pictures but you can't talk about them?

Edited by Jassbec

@Taz

It's still part of the discussion and I'm talking about the picture that he posted. Am I supposed to keep it all to myself and not criticize his work? Then what's the point of this thread? Just showing pictures but you can't talk about them?

No one said you couldn't criticize work. I'm saying don't derail like last time. We have a topic for that. Chill dude, no one's trying to get on your case.

Alrighty then, I was just making a comment on how similar they look, but Serephim didn't seem to like me mentioning that.

And it wasn't derailing, the focus was still on the picture.

I'm guessing because of the last little venture we all had with the whole "you stole dat" thing, its become a touchy subject. I'm just saying let's not go back and forth about it, it tends to get messy obviously.

Oh no... How dare a fangame get inspired by another fangame...

(just teasing, btw)

most of the stuff u see in my fangame is directly inspired by another

(and many of the assets)

but onward with screenshots

ioIs7M7.png

i can't believe i didn't notice this sooner.

I'm guessing because of the last little venture we all had with the whole "you stole dat" thing, its become a touchy subject. I'm just saying let's not go back and forth about it, it tends to get messy obviously.

It just never attracts anything helpful. I'm tired of seeing fangamers preemptively putting up defense and warding off people about how their new game isn't Lake's. It's aggravating.

ioIs7M7.png

The colors in the background of this image are way too powerful, focusing on the characters causes eye strain. You should probably desaturate it a bit.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

It just never attracts anything helpful. I'm tired of seeing fangamers preemptively putting up defense and warding off people about how their new game isn't Lake's. It's aggravating.

ioIs7M7.png

The colors in the background of this image are way too powerful, focusing on the characters causes eye strain. You should probably desaturate it a bit.

accouracy makes accourate

8swCAKk.png

whatever it looks like ingame, is how its going to look.

I get that you want it to stay true to what it's from, but when things can cause so much eye strain, it's best to just fix them.

You could darken the background hills against the sunset and create shadows in the water where the light is being blocked.

Over-all though, the background objects could use some major desaturation. I can see it being an issue tracking the characters on-screen as they move around. You need to have the characters pop enough against the background objects while still making sure it all blends together pretty well. Right now, in my opinion, it all blends in together a bit too much, which would create problems with some players.

All that aside, I do really really like the stage as a whole, and I can understand why you don't want to change it.