A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Riptor, could you possibly apply the 3D effect used for Hydrocity's water surface on the beach and ocean of the background? Would give it a lot more depth. I wish the native flickies code could be ported into Sonic Worlds Delta btw. -_- My version is just placeholder until someone with better knowledge of its original movement comes in and saves the day. Just realized you're actually not using a rom hack after seeing Tails rotating smoothly with the slopes. How did you program the flickies? =o

@Mr.S: Do want. I would definitely give a dark shade to Mecha Knux though so he fits into the STH3 realm better, as well as give some shading to that water balloon he's throwing. (Also, I originally read your zone name as Crystal Cavern, and was a bit disappointed when I realized it was just Crystal Cave. Add an 's' to Cave and it would still probably sound a bit better.)

Regarding the parallax, you could add a few different layers of rock to accent being entirely engulfed in a dark cave, and maybe throw in a few occasional crystal clusters.

Metal knuckles is here is from Sonic Advance 1. I've been using a sprite sheet for Metal Knuckles. I am going to add shading to Metal knuckles so his colours don't look so bright.

The Water Balloon is actually a bomb and in the screen shot is does look like a balloon this is because the bomb flashes to red. When it is being thrown by knuckles. Here is a early preview of the level

. There are a couple of glitches which I still need to fix. The screenr recorder made the game lag, don't worry the gameplay is not laggy at all.

Lol thanks for the comments guys.

Yes it's a prerender, but it won't look too different once we get the engine ported to Blitzmax, add shaders and effects to it and port this in.

Going to be using Max3D or something like the OGRE bindings?

I've had the itch to make a traditional Sonic game. I couldn't resist it any longer.

th_sonic4ever.jpg

(Click it)

Expect something slightly more substantial shortly? And no, before you ask, that's not Sonic Worlds Delta. I built that, myself, from the "PolePod" release (not the buggy Experimental Build, the one before that). I kind of wish I had known about Delta, it might've saved me some time. emot-v.gif It's also super weird how our test levels ended up evolving in similar directions.

I actually just noticed kind of a weird minor bug in this video, but yeah, I'm just about to start on level creation today, to give you an idea of how far things are. As for what this means for TFH, well, we'll talk about that some other time.

So, why do you post animated GIFs? I'm just wondering.

I like the animated thing. Kind of like a game preview, see it in action. Work is fantastic hellstorm.

If I can have just a little advice on a tile in my level, since it's already been talked about here and mostly seen.. I went to town with Overbound's great shading suggestions. I'm almost done but for some reason, in the middle of where the checkered clusters that are made into two side-by-side, I believe the shading looks awkward, but the rest is fine I think.

hhztsexp3.png

How about it? Is it ok the way it is?

It looks nice, Blaze. Can't wait to see it on a level.

Mr. S, I think that you should just activate the Sonic when the title card desapears. The level is very linear, try to make some alternative paths and... You know, inclinations and loops are wellcomed too. You shold work on the time of that "red rock" what raises Sonic and on Sonic Animation while he's there. But, keep going. I want to see more. ^^

Hellstorm, It looks nice, the Rush tiles fits perfectly with those sprites, but for what I saw on the GIFs, Sonic's jump seems too low.

Riptor, Do want. >:

I like the animated thing. Kind of like a game preview, see it in action. Work is fantastic hellstorm.

If I can have just a little advice on a tile in my level, since it's already been talked about here and mostly seen.. I went to town with Overbound's great shading suggestions. I'm almost done but for some reason, in the middle of where the checkered clusters that are made into two side-by-side, I believe the shading looks awkward, but the rest is fine I think.

[qimg]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4125/hhztsexp3.png[/qimg]

How about it? Is it ok the way it is?

Love it!

Great. Tile porting time! That's my favorite part. And object placement is 2nd fav. Check out progress when the Sonic Mobius topic is made.. later on.

Also I did add an additional pop-out hexagon in that empty checkered space, but some tiles will be without the hexagon and just have a checkered pattern. With some as double and some with single patterns. Gotta have variation.

I tried to mess with those tiles you made properly Mobiethian. But its too damn time consuming and I gave up. I do not envy you.

Mr. S your Crystal Zone is looking good. However its also looking a little flat... I've made some quick edits here to show you some ideas I had for your level.

edit1.png

I've added a small bottom piece to the main platform to get rid of that cut off in paint look. I know S&K does it like that but Lava Reef has those stones to off set it no stones here, so I think you need to add and shade a bottom onto your main platform. Also the Crystals as the ground is fine but a little flat again Lava Reef took care of this by adding stones. You don't have any stones though so I think you need to add some extra detail else where thus the hexagon looking thing. Not in the above picture I think you should get rid of the stone column holding up the platform and get a piece that's a little more techie looking and shaded more similar to the platform above. Right now it kinda looks like its behind the platform rather than holding it up. Also not pictured above you might shade under the main platform itself onto the crystals below.

I've had the itch to make a traditional Sonic game. I couldn't resist it any longer.

[qimg]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/BlazeHedgehog/sekrit/th_sonic4ever.jpg[/qimg]

(Click it)

Expect something slightly more substantial shortly? And no, before you ask, that's not Sonic Worlds Delta. I built that, myself, from the "PolePod" release (not the buggy Experimental Build, the one before that). I kind of wish I had known about Delta, it might've saved me some time. [qimg]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/BlazeHedgehog/sa%20emoticons/emot-v.gif[/qimg] It's also super weird how our test levels ended up evolving in similar directions.

I actually just noticed kind of a weird minor bug in this video, but yeah, I'm just about to start on level creation today, to give you an idea of how far things are. As for what this means for TFH, well, we'll talk about that some other time.

I can't say much because of being acquainted with Worlds' engine. But the graphics have nice glow effects (TFH FTW). Though, It has always alluded me for years, how is a darn pause menu is possible in MMF in general. I went off topic, bu I was just curious. Anyways, I hope to see how much this will change.

I can't say much because of being acquainted with Worlds' engine. But the graphics have nice glow effects (TFH FTW). Though, It has always alluded me for years, how is a darn pause menu is possible in MMF in general. I went off topic, bu I was just curious. Anyways, I hope to see how much this will change.

Your whole game exists in one single group (in my case, called "Running"). When the player initiates your custom pause function, you simply disable the "Running" group so all game action is stopped like there was no code running (all action except the ability to pause and unpause the game, of course).

I tried to mess with those tiles you made properly Mobiethian. But its too damn time consuming and I gave up. I do not envy you.

I got it all under control now. I finished the rest, and time consuming doesn't even describe it all too, frustrating at most. But you did plenty. The shadow effect in the checkers was an excellent idea too.

But all in all, this kind of graphics/pixel work is often enjoyable, I think most can agree. Get some music playing and let your imagination and creativity flow. :ssmile:

Here I have multiple screenshots of how Hexagon Hill Zone evolved/transformed over a few years time:

[qimg]http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5382/hhzarttrans03.png[/qimg]

All help will be credited in the game demo too. So no worries.

So you are making your game since 1999 and haven't made a single zone? That's sad...

Also "Hexagon Hill" sounds awkward.

Anyway current incarnation of that zone looks really sweet!

P.S. You DEFINITELY should add some sort of Bee badnik there.

There's plenty of bee badniks but not visible in the shots. Just the ones that are already in the SW engine, but I plan to create/replace with new sprites for all badniks. I guess you can say there are bees in the zone.

And sadly, yeah a zone is just now being produced after all this time. However, I have the Worlds engine and everyone involved in its development to thank for making it all possible now. I know close to nothing about programming.

The level has always been playable though. Long ago, I used a basic engine which I believe might have been created by Damizean, I forget where I got it from back then, but someone might see the Sonic sprite in the first screenshot be able to determine what engine it was. It was in Click n Create (sad but true). :P EDIT: But I later modified the engine sprites with Sonic 1/CD style and it has been that way until I started to utilize Sonic Worlds to build the game.

As for the zone name, I don't want to change it but thanks for the feedback on the new design.

I hope the level design ends up being as nice as that last screenshot is. ;>

I can assure you that it's looking quite nicely so far, a lot of the first half of Act 1 is put together already, and the tiles fit using my interlocking method as well. Other tiles are consisting of the hills and slopes, Also a hexagon shaped loop, It's next in line to finish up with the new designs that Overbound assisted me with. Right now, it's plain unfinished (shading and replacing art plus extending the grass more into the right of the loop is in order to do).

hhzloop1.png

My future project thread will show most, but I want to get Act 1 done first. Other than that, no need to post any more HHZ screens or stuff until then.