A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Moving on, I've changed the time travel transition. Its soo pretty...

[qimg]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4383/timetravel.png[/qimg]

Nice man, I bet it looks sweet in action. And that sky/cloud background is gorgeous.

Mobiethian:

I agree with Larks and Overbound: Toss some color variation in there and lose the hexagons in the background. Also the raised bit is kind of weird, but it's whatever.

Agreed.

Two screenshots from a prototype Boss stage. Yeah, I know, I'm using these overused tiles from Sunset Hill, but oh well.

dibujo1ug.png

With the "WARNING" logo, just because I love Megaman X.

dibujorb.png

That's all for now.

Edit: those white/orange blurried things are supposed to be waterfalls.

this isn't by any means perfect its not even the right color. But if I were you and I wanted to use the angel island rocks as a foreground I would split them up and do something like this:

[qimg]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/821/angelrocks.png[/qimg]

obviously this desperately needs polish.

Well you're right about the colour. But splitting rocks in this way doesn't seem right to me. I want to make it look more like this:

108914.png

Which is basically what I meant. I just didn't have a lot of time to show my example. I was never trying to say that you should keep the rocks just like I had them it was strictly meant to show that they had the potential to be a foreground. You need to split the rocks up like I did then reassemble them. With the rocks above its pretty easy to make variations so make some variations and put the rocks back together. Use the rocks from Lava Reef as a reference.

Yeah... to be perfectly honest with you I'm not sure I've ever seen a rock foreground used in a green type setting that worked. This really doesn't look like its going to be the exception. I've even been trying a few things on my own since your last post nothing works. Just wasn't meant to be.

The background has potential but I would suggest recoloring both the mountain and the tower thing from DEZ behind it. They both are away too dark to be part of a sunny day kind of setting.

The level art makes me think it's going to be a level that revolves around bees, heh. Also, I don't like the hexagons in the background layers; it looks pasted on. Might want to try lightening the shading some and applying a better shadow against the rock their sitting on/a part of to make it fit in better.

The background is still WIP but thanks for the tips LarkSS, it will be put into play for sure. :ssmile:

Still have to get that parallax system down too. May take me a while. I also think the green hills in the BG need more filled in as well.

I think it would look better if you added some brown in there.

[qimg]http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9030/mobios.png[/qimg]

And woah! That does look cool! Great idea actually.

EDIT: The lighter foreground hexagons could also use a slight lighting effect like the brown ones:

mobius2.png

How about it?

Aaron C-T: Yeah, I might have to render the raised hexagon a little bit to get it right.

That looks good. You might also try changing to color for the checker pattern to show that it is lower (or higher but I chose lower here) than the hexagons its next too. The key here is to add shades to it without removing the color that you've established as the foreground.

mobi.png

The left one is definitely a go. I'll play around with the palette to create a similar shadow effect like that. I'll post now what I have done with some of the tiles. Now this is going to be a little differently made, other than using the general 128x128 specifications for tile size, I am making them so they are interlocking. Adds a little fun to the level building process.

hhztsexp1.png

Note - If you check out the pop-out hexagon, I fixed it a little better, but that bugger is tough when it comes to hexagonal shaped objects with a checkered pattern. Could it be better?

Any more suggestions/ideas for designs? Everything is great so far. Thanks, Overbound!

Maybe a few spots where you can see straight through to the background? ::shrug::

Edit: Also, I'm assuming this is called Hexagon Hill or something, right? :P

It's called just that actually. Some have wanted me to call it Honeycomb Hill Zone, but I think Hexagon Hill is more fitting.

Am I the only one hoping you add Bee badniks?

Bees are a definite. Buzzbomber type of course, but I want to try to come up with something a little different.