A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

Oh GAWD~ that damn 7th Chaos Emerald. That is the only emerald I can't get in one try and still failing to get it. The music cuts off when it's too late.

I got at least six stages (I think) left to keep 50 rings and get that Super Ring to enter the stages.

It's always the 7th emerald...well I can understand since it's the last.

Every Sonic game that had Special Stages always save the hardest ones for the last...except Sonic 3 & Knuckles...in my opinion that is.

One thing I noticed is that if I did had all emeralds and became Super Sonic in Redhot Ride (Name reminds me of DKC2) Zone, Super Sonic would become a liability since you need the FS to climb in certain places.

Currently on Parhelion Park Zone Act 1 and I just can't stop listening to this damn music. Falk & DJ Max-E...man. This will be my favorite track in Sonic ATS. Titanic Tower Zone Act 3 in SBTS was my favorite there. Who was the artist for that one again? Unlike the OST for SATS, SBTS OST doesn't list the artists for each music.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucking hate having to play through an entire zone to get to a specific act. Was it so hard to make a level select where you can actually choose what act to visit? There isn't even a level skip button like in BTS or the SAGE demo

That's what the debug mode lets you do, alongside a few more features.

Also, Lake, why is moon Mansion's Special Act just moon Mansion Act 3 at a different time of day? It literally has the exact same level design.

I'm also pretty pissed at getting Foliage Furnace's special ring and not actuallly unlocking the stage, but I'm not sure if that was just me resetting the game before the next act actually started.

I'm pretty sure the Special Rings save globally...

Also, I think some of the special acts have to do with Time Travel. Notice there was no glass in Moon Mansion Act 3S? ...and that it's called Castle Zone in the Special Act Select...and that you fight the same miniboss again....

Debug Mode continues to stump me...I thought it was related to something in DDZ2 but idk. Already know about the color order for SSZ's cameo...and the weird blocks...but breaking them did nothing!

It lists the composer in the YouTube descriptions, doesn't it?

Titanic Tower was by Funk Fiction, anyway.

YouTube?

Some users do, some don't.

I didn't think to go there to find out though. My bad.

But wait, that's not where I got SBTS soundtrack from.

I was referring to the OST you download from Lake's Google site splash to download SBTS. The download link for the soundtrack is also there.

SATS OST have the artists listed for every music track in the folder and when you listen to them (I use Windows Media Player). Very convenient for the OST makers to do that.

SBTS OST at the time didn't.

Um...thank you for telling me that BlitznBurst.

Ended up cheating to get debug mode...some dude had the save for download.

After messing around in debug...realized there wasn't much to do when you're just floating around and skipping levels.

Here's the important thing: Dem cutscenes. Especially the redhot ride - parhelion peak one. I had to stop to watch those. I had to stop to listen to some of the music, particularly the funk fiction ones and falk's PPZ3. The music and the story are what really drive this game. The level design is just a plus. For this I'm thankful for the delays.

Let's look at the funk!

Hell yeah.

Completed Classic Mode with all 7 emeralds.

Now I need to figure out where the hell those Gold Star Rings are in some levels I didn't get.

I don't get something though.

What's Mighty doing in Foliage Furnace Act 3? He's just standing there...looking at something.

I was thinking maybe it could've been the trains...but is that the right answer?

Too bad we don't get to see him in the rest of the game.

I've played this all the way to Foliage Furnace 3 so far; managed to nab the Gold Ring for Act 2, so hurrah I can play FFZ with Lava Powerhouse!...I assume. When do Special Acts become playable? Like, at the end of the Zone, or...?

Pretty solid so far, I actually really enjoy the bosses thus far, though I admit the final part of CCZ Boss is rather lackluster.

Considering the fact that I've only been playing the first build, (Comes up on the first page of the topic, instead of 1.1) I can't say much for the 1.1 version of the game - but here's my opinion of the work:

First of all, I've played just about damn near everything when it comes to Sonic Fan works, from the CNC days all of the way up till now. Hence, I've played more than my share of games made in the Sonic Worlds Engine. Though I will admit that I had a love/hate relationship with the first game in Lake's series, the demo for ATS was quite surprising. I knew from the beginning that this was going to be a "real" game in the fact that the zones had more attention to detail, more polish and what makes any zone worth playing - it's uniqueness.

Upon playing the first build of the game I noticed that there was still a little bit of polish to be had in the form of text and whatnot, but the menus work correctly and look appealing enough. The flash scenes are great, you can tell that a lot of work went into these animations and there are very few fan created Sonic games that do utilize a movie scene at all. They're quick and to the point. Lake also has been getting much better with these flash scenes.

As for the game itself, not only does each zone offer something different; but they are so vast in expanse that it actually feels like honest work was put in. The backgrounds seem to match the nature of each zone, and nothing looks too basic or cluttered. It actually has the feel of a classic Sega game and feels like the work that Sonic Team would've done hadn't dollar signs flashed in their eyes. It's literally a worthy bridge between Sonic 2 and 3.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that some of the design choices in Sonic ATS are ideas that haven't even been implemented by Sega. This separates the game from being just "another sonic romp" and makes it a worthy product of it's own. It also proves that high quality graphics are not what people care about most in Sonic games and puts gameplay at the forefront, where it should be.

Another reason that ATS stands out, is it's music. There are no MIDI or "let's use hilltop zone muzik guyz becuz it's gr8!" and rather the game has employed the talents of six professional musicians who have labored endlessly to make original Sonic music that resonates well with each level. A warmer level like Forest Foliage Zone actually utilizes guitar (with a nice solo by the way) while something like Technology Tree uses a more soft hip/hop kind of style that makes me think of Notorious BIG. There's also a guy that likes to lay down the funk on a couple of these tracks and they work for me. There's not one single track in this game so far that I've thought was just padding.

The special stages are new to me, haven't reached them yet but will on a second playthrough. The idea of fan characters (this iz my CUSTOM CREATIONZ guyzzz, don't steal plz!) slightly unnerves me. :smidge: But if he can make them work, I'll at least welcome them for now. As for the emerald runs, I like the idea of chasing after the emerald and am glad that it it's something new and different. I also liked how I could use the fire power in one of the stages and reach the emerald ridiculously quick by turning into a fireball.

Though I haven't finished the game yet, the boss battles have been pretty weak for the most part. Eggman's machines look well and perform the way that they were designed to, but some of these battles are literal child's play. It's not even a fight sometimes. Red Hot Ride Boss has so far been my favorite.

Once again, I haven't finished it yet so when I do I'll talk more about it. But these are my thoughts on the game as of right now. Without a doubt I can say that this is one of the most professional quality Sonic fan creations that I've played from the gamut that exist out there. It's probably one of the best I've played on the Sonic Worlds Engine. He really pushed the boundaries for the Engine with this one and it was a thrilling experience.

I will post a couple of quick runthroughs highlighting the better stages of the game on my page www.youtube.com/TheGrimLordBStone as soon as I am able. As a music journalist, I don't have much time.

Where the fuck is Storm Station's pecial ring?

And Cyan City's?

And Parhelion Peak's?

And Technology Tree. How the fuck are you even supposed to get to that little son of a bitch. I backtracked and tried to find any routes I could, but it's right there behind a fucking wall and I can't figure out how to get to it D:D:D:D:

**EDIT** You jump.

... I am retarded

Where the fuck is Storm Station's pecial ring?

And Cyan City's?

And Parhelion Peak's?

And Technology Tree. How the fuck are you even supposed to get to that little son of a bitch. I backtracked and tried to find any routes I could, but it's right there behind a fucking wall and I can't figure out how to get to it D:D:D:D:

**EDIT** You jump.

... I am retarded

lolyes, that Technology Tree one annoyed me too.

Cyan City is pretty easy to find:

In the third act, there's a point where two of the red run ways cross over each other. Jump on to the one it doesn't place you on automatically, and run LEFT. I remember playing that in the beta and thinking "If I decided to hide it, I'd place it on one of the weaving paths... I'll check there...".

Man, how right was I?!

Parhelion just requires spin jumping off a lot of ledges till you find it. I'd advise using Tails to fly around for it.

Storm Station is... surprisingly obvious however, it was the one I found hardest to find:

Act 2, obviously... on one of those bits with the red gravity... things, you'll need to jump LEFT and there's two platforms coming out of the wall... you want the lower one... I think people tend to miss it, because you usually jump past it, due to the gravity shit. Gotta do a li'l hop to land on it, then run left through the wall!

(inb4 people complain about spoilers despite the tags)

Is debug mode at all related to the parhelion peak room? I broke those yellow/blue blocks in SSZ1 but nothing happened.

Weird. That's how I got it. I thought. Did you:

Jump further to the left and get all the boxes hidden in the cloudy area? Maybe one of those was relevant, you just can't see it.

My internet has been down for a few days so I've pretty much finished the game minus getting a few special stages and the debug mode unlocked.

stuff I've found interesting

-BUILDUP: YOU DO IT RIGHT

-Level specific Gimmicks: OMG SSpZ Act 1, CCZ Act 2, etc

keep an eye for hidden Kirby power ups hidden throughout other levels if you haven't, you'll be in for a treat

-MUSIC AND STORY: cutscene right before RRZ Act Boss, I think we all know what I'm talking about

-HIDDEN GOODIES:

OMG LAKE YES JUST YES NO SPOILERS FROM MEEEEEE~

-Special Stages: Funniest Special Stages I've played in the history of ever! They also get really easy once you memorize the layout and that they repeat once.

Hi folks - I can't believe I've only just found out about LakeFeperd's Sonic efforts! Time to reboot my childhood :-)

I found that the download mirrors were either slow, not working or suffered the joy that is MediaFire. LakeFeperd - would you object to me uploading ATS, BTS and the soundtracks to a torrent site so that they're all in one place and can be downloaded quickly? It will also help ease off the traffic from the mirrors. I would, of course, be sure to give you all the credit and post links to your homepage!

Cheers,

aD

How would you like the credit to be worded? I currently have the following. Have I missed or mis-credited anyone?

LakeFeperd's Sonic The Hedgehog fan games "Sonic Before The Sequel", "Sonic Before The Sequel Aftermath" and "Sonic After The Sequel" as well as MP3 and FLAC OSTs for both main games.

Sonic Before The Sequel 2012

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/

Sonic Before The Sequel Aftermath

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/aftermath

Sonic After The Sequel v1.1

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbtsbooth/

Sonic BTS is set between SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic 2 showing how the Death Egg was built. Sonic ATS then follows-on between Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles detailing how the Death Egg crashes on Angel Island. BTS Aftermath is a "side game" between the two, with different game mechanics, meant as a bridge between them.

OSTs by Falk, Andy Tunstall, James Landino (KgZ), Funk Fiction, DJ Max-E, Mr Lange, and Li Xiao'an.

Having to download most of the FLACs from MediaFire again as they failed integrity tests! I'm listening to the OST in the mean time and loving it :-D