A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't play very long tonight since it's late, but I played up through Cyan City's second act. But here's my thoughts so far:

The game plays almost exactly like the old games, and it is fun. But there are some big problems that hold it back. The level design feels all over the place. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's god awful. The like 4 our of the 6 stages have HUGE sections of the levels dedicated to being underwater. Underwater stuff in Sonic is awful. I think some of the enemies are kind of BS like that sugar dude with the fire. In fact honestly I just did not like the sugar levels at all. The first two suffered from the underwater problem + those enemies, and the third act was just a mess all around. Hopefully it'll improve as the game goes on.

That being said the music is great and I especially loved the music in the third act of the sugar level, very dubsteppy

Thanks for the soundtrack Lake.

Completed Story Mode and enjoyed it.

Now I need to complete Classic Mode and get the Chaos Emeralds.

Game is awesome.

Loved the music. I think a few are remixes of SBTS...correct me if I'm wrong.

Liked the cutscenes...and yes thanks to ChaosLord pointing out that my registry was bugged, I got a program to repair them and I can now see cutscenes. That dark sad cloud cleared away. Thanks once again ChaosLord.

By the way, is Sonic Chrono Adventure still after SBTS in story or is it now after SATS?

Since the name changed and SATS is finished, maybe the story has changed.

Man, I love ATS. Seriously I find the level design(For what I played) to be really good, gimmicks are cool, and I don't have any major complaints.

But I have been wondering..

LakeFeperd, what's your frame rate, and by frame rate I mean the speed the game's supposed to run at(60,30,120.etc), not the rate it runs at on your computer?

It looks so smooth. xD

I'm working on a modern fan game, named Sonic A.C., as I'm not very good at classic style.

Thank you. Have a nice day! :D

@TruePowerofTeamwork

Game is supposed to run always at 60fps, but it goes from 40~50 your computer is a little bit slow.

Can't really do much about that, it's the only downside i know about using MMF2 for making games.

Oh, OK. It always runs full speed for me, but I was wondering if you were using a faster frame rate, as I usually also use 60, and it doesn't look as smooth.

QUESTION FOR MUSIC TEAM PEOPLE:

In the beta, there was an alternate version of Wolf Rayet that had the 'Welcome to Die!' bit in it.

What happened to that and CAN WE HAVE IT PLZ?

(I really like the tune in that cutscene, it's ominous and works for a boss fight... surprised you removed it! I would've fit the final boss, I think...)

Guest Mr Lange
QUESTION FOR MUSIC TEAM PEOPLE:

In the beta, there was an alternate version of Wolf Rayet that had the 'Welcome to Die!' bit in it.

What happened to that and CAN WE HAVE IT PLZ?

(I really like the tune in that cutscene, it's ominous and works for a boss fight... surprised you removed it! I would've fit the final boss, I think...)

When I heard the updated Wolf Rayet I preferred it. Though it was cool to see the original melody repurposed as the cutscene music. That's how some of the prototype material was handled after all, just as Boogie Boogie became Moon Mansion's special act.

Unfortunately I don't have the original, but even if I did I would want to make sure FF was fine with handing it out (he probably would be though).

Okay, so while my playthrough uploads over the next couple of days, let's talk.

(OMG, AEROGP ACTUALLY HAS SOMETHING TO SAY! HELL'S FROZEN OVER.)

It might be because it was the only stage I was completely uninterested in initially... I mean, come on. Mountains made of sugar? But once I actually started to play it... my expectations were exceeded almost immediately; granted, they were quite low to begin with considering this is still the same old amateurish sonic fangame with goofy ideas underneath the surface, but I never thought I'd actually grow fond of mountains made of sugar.

And it's an underwater level, no less! It won't replace Hydrocity, but it makes a decent effort. It's paced stunningly, the atmosphere really pulls you in, and the sugar gimmick doesn't come off as forced. Almost everything about it drives closely towards the look and feel of a Sonic Team-made Sonic the Hedgehog level.

Almost... really, just the first two acts. The third highlights a design focus I'm uncomfortable with.

So every once in a while, the act throws you into "temporary water" which you're meant to use to your advantage. But since you uncurl when the moment hits, it ends up being more harmful than helpful. So you learn quickly to time your jumps so you aren't inhibited by this gimmick.

You play through more and you reach an epiphany: this seems to happen a lot in this game.

The storm gimmick in HHZ3.

The enemies in SSZ.

The water valve in SSZ3.

The trollies in FFZ3.

The killer robot in TTZ1 and 3.

The bosses.

So many examples to list...

If they weren't so encompassing where they appear, I wouldn't have minded it.

And while the punishment is taking damage, it isn't of much consequence to a 25 year old who's been playing Sonic games since 1993. It only manages to annoy, not provoke thought. As soon as I received Super Sonic, most of these elements were unapologetically bypassed... and I started to notice how much of each level was padded with these instances, forcibly slowing the player down by challenging their patience rather than their skills.

I can understand if Lake wasn't really concerned about this or even wanted it - the classics were notoriously easy, after all, and they do have their share of "slow the fuck down and watch" moments. I just feel it ultimately weighs the game down to emphasize this kind of platforming so heavily.