A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

So I've noticed! Thanks for referring me to him in the first place. ^_^

5u4hmt.png

In some parts of Dragon Valley, there are gaps that can only be cleared with Lilac's boost, so I had to come up with something unique for Carol so that the stage wouldn't be unwinnable. In the end, I decided to place jump panels in those spots which only she can use. They work exactly like the jump panels from Sonic Adventure 1 - You jump on the first panel and then keep pressing Jump to move to the rest of the panels in the sequence.

It's actually not as automated as the SA1 panels, because if you land on a wall panel, you can choose to detach yourself from it and instead climb up the wall with wall kicks. This should give plenty of opportunities for Carol-specific routes and secrets.

Now I just need to think of a special ability for her to use when her energy is fully charged, and finish a couple animations, and she should be all set.

So I've noticed! Thanks for referring me to him in the first place. ^_^

[qimg]http://i45.tinypic.com/5u4hmt.png[/qimg]

In some parts of Dragon Valley, there are gaps that can only be cleared with Lilac's boost, so I had to come up with something unique for Carol so that the stage wouldn't be unwinnable. In the end, I decided to place jump panels in those spots which only she can use. They work exactly like the jump panels from Sonic Adventure 1 - You jump on the first panel and then keep pressing Jump to move to the rest of the panels in the sequence.

Why not make an alternate pathway for Carol that only she can get to? Y'know, make the game more diverse for alternate characters then simply compensating for lack of abilities on routes not designed for them?

Instrutilus - Yeah, I'd like to throw in some alternate paths for Carol in the future one I get used to building levels with multiple characters in mind. ^_^

New gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZRy5KH3Ac

This one shows many of the changes and adjustments that have been made since the sorely outdated beta video of Dragon Valley. It also shows Carol's gameplay in the second half.

(Yes, I know I haven't replaced the "shield gone" Sonic sound. xD Only remembered that after recording.)

Thank you! Doubly so because this is your first post on the forums. ^_^ So, welcome aboard.

I've noticed that as the game is getting more attention, more people are expressing the opinion that it could lose credibility from some of the little odds and ends that are still similar to Sonic. Granted, I think that because of its nature of being a high-speed platformer, it would be virtually impossible to completely orphan Freedom Planet from Sonic without making it into a fundamentally different game. But as long as its unique heart and soul shine through, then I think the similarities to Sonic will be more of a praise than a criticism.

That being said, here's some of my ideas for future changes:

- Eliminating Acts from the game. In this case, Dragon Valley and all future stages will be one giant level instead of being split into separate Acts. This kinda makes sense to me, because the only practical reason to split the stage into Acts is to allow the music to change, which I could just do after Act 1's boss is defeated. This might also make Time Attack data a little less confusing to work with since there would only be a single time for the entire stage.

- As an alternative to the above, I could just rename Acts into something else, such as Stage 1-1, Stage 1-2, etc.

- So far, I haven't really specified Lilac's species, so my watchers have assumed that she's a hedgehog based on sash0's description in her DeviantArt page. This, of course, does not help the game's originality. xD So I think I'll firmly establish in the story that she is, in fact, a dragon. If you look at pictures of Chinese dragons, you'll notice how they're wingless and have long mustache-like tendrils on their noses, which is very similar to the long hair strands that Lilac has. They are also not fire-based, but water-based. So, yeah, Lilac the Dragon might be the way to go.

- While the spinning end-of-act post in the latest video is a step in the right direction, I think I can do better, so if for some reason I decide to stick with dividing the stage into Acts, I'll change it again into something else.

- The intro banner and title behave almost identical to the banners from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I could change this to simply display the stage name in a "GET READY!" sort of fashion, or remove it entirely.

The way I see it...

- As far as stages go, most classic games follow a World 1-1 or Stage 1-1 formula. Even though it's very similar to a Sonic game, I wouldn't worry all that much about splitting stages up into seperate parts so to speak.

- Maybe for the end of the stage, you could have a checkered flag or something. Not quite sure.

- Again with the act thing, you could have a title card. Mainly to indentify the location of where the player is, or maybe have a map and not have a title card at all.

Even so, this is still the most original game I've seen.

Pretty awesome, Strife. Love Carol's style of gameplay. But are we going to have some kind of interaction between Lilac and Carol as the story drives on? Or will we be only see Lilac in her playthrough and Carol in hers? Or will they be interchangeable throughout the main game? Or are all of my questions just senseless?

About your ideas...

-Keep the Act gimmicks. I recall at some point you saying how Relic Maze (or whatever it was called) was dragging on for too long. Keeping the Act system will at the very least pace the gamer, that way they don't go, "Jeez, just how long does this thing go on?", dragging a level on for too long can turn a player off from it. Again, pacing.

-Lilac the Dragon. I like that name. As long as there will be poking fun at her for it.

-"GET READY"? Nah.

But, uh, yeah. I still love this project. I'll likely record the SAGE demo and show it off to my friends. Or something like that.

Oh, yes! Lilac and Carol will definitely interact during the story. In fact they go pretty much everywhere together, which is why Carol will have the same set of levels as Lilac.

As far as the Act gimmicking goes, I'm not really sure if keeping it will make the stage feel less long. Unless the player is allowed to save and quit the game and then resume in Act 2 - which I could do anyway without splitting the stage into Acts.

...Actually, that sounds like a neat idea for Story Mode. The game could autosave every time the player reaches a checkpoint, so if they close the program (or it crashes), loading their save file again would let them pick up right where they left off. Maybe I could even give them the option of starting from the last checkpoint or just starting the stage over from the beginning.

Also, a recording sounds pretty cool! Go ahead and take a stab at it once the demo is out.

I usually avoid this forum due to the large amounts of stupid that go on, but my goddess, this is an excellent looking project. It has a very old school look to it while remaining fresh with gameplay and what not. Keep up the good work.

O_O

Simply wonderful! It is so well-done that it really looks like an official artwork!:tgrin:

Also, I watched the video you posted before, and the game is looking wonderful as well. Carol's gameplay reminded me a little of Mega Man for some reason...

About the Act thing, I sincerely prefer the stages to be divided into "mini-levels" (Acts are an example of it) than one big stage... unless you're going to put save points or something like that, then I think one big stage is better. It's your game though, so do it the way you think to be the best.

Oh, yes! Lilac and Carol will definitely interact during the story. In fact they go pretty much everywhere together, which is why Carol will have the same set of levels as Lilac.

<one quick bored doodle later>

img078.jpg

I love FeliciaVal's work. You should get her to do a promotional comic, like the good ol' days where game companies would make promo comics, or like Valve's work :L