A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

At the moment, no - It works more like Tails' swimming. Instead, though, the player needs to hold Up while not standing on the ground in order to swim. Using the jump button would cause Lilac to accidentally user her Boost. xD;

I'm actually not sure if that's the most ideal control scheme. If I keep it this way, it may not come naturally to some players to hold Up instead of pressing jump. On the other hand, if I switch it to the jump key, then I might as well add support for a fourth button that's used exclusively to execute the boost..

could always have the boost context based and not usable underwater, but then as a water dragon that'd be awful stupid. could potentially have it be both jump and attack while underwater. I don't see the player needing to press both at once, right?.

could always have the boost context based and not usable underwater, but then as a water dragon that'd be awful stupid. could potentially have it be both jump and attack while underwater. I don't see the player needing to press both at once, right?.

True. But then there's the issue of it being a sequence of buttons that most players wouldn't figure out by themselves. xD;

I may be over-thinking it. I'll try and leave the swimming on the Up key for now and see what kind of feedback I get from my testers and the general public once the demo comes out. It is, afterall, a learning process.

Im thinking that if shes a water dragon then water shouldn't be too much of a hinderence to her. In fact it should probably enhance her mobility to an extent.

Maybe you could create a new movement type for her while shes submerged instead of toggling between swim/platform?

I could probably do that at some point, yeah. I think I'll wait until after the demo release so that I have all the time I need to make a movement that works well. It might actually make underwater sections fun with her. xD;

Anyway, the game is now on Indie DB, one of the largest sites for up-and-coming indie games. If you feel like bumping up our view count, you can find it here:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/freedom-planet

Speaking of count, it doesn't look like we're going to reach our Facebook goal. xD; But, even if we don't, I still would like to include Carol in some way. A lot of people did put effort in to refer their friends and I wouldn't want that to go unrewarded.

Make it the number of votes you did get by the date for a little in-joke. Like if you get 953 votes, have the time you need to beat be "1:35:30". Or more, I'm unsure as to the length of the levels at the present moment since they appear to take you a good 3 minutes at least, but you tend to run around grabbing everything to show it off. A good speedrunner might compress it significantly.

Now, to withdraw to the shadows and watch this project from afar, like se hrérmús mon.

Yeah, that video looks really sweet. You've got a great foundation here. I think it would be in your best interest to remove as many traces from Sonic the Hedgehog as you potentially can.

As such, this game has big potential. I am personally excited to see how it comes along; keep it up!

Thank you! :D

So, our Facebook event has concluded with exactly 500 Likes - half of what the goal was. xD; But, in that case, Carol will just be unlockable instead of being available right off the bat.

Also, earlier tonight I sat down for an interview with Alpha and Omega Radio about the game. We talked mainly about its Sonic roots and the soundtrack, and it was quite fun. ^^ Once they manage to get in touch with the other two composers on our team, they'll put together a podcast with the interview(s) on their website. I also talked to them about the SAGE expo; They've never heard of it before and now they're really excited about it and want to keep up with what's going on. xD So, that might give this year's event a wee bit more coverage.

Duckboy - Thanks! ^_^ The game will be available on both the SAGE website and my own official website, so there will be two download locations.

Shadowgoten - Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally getting some community feedback on it. I hope I've weeded out all of the significant/obvious bugs by then.

16a5nht.png

Do any of these look like a winning combination? (Note that in the left and right designs, her entire face is skin-colored instead of just the area around her mouth. Also, in the designs with finger gloves, her skirt is replaced with shorts.)

Admittedly, she does lose a bit of "edge" without the hair spikes, but if there's any chance of separating her from the Blue Blur, then hair spikes are out of the question. Horns are potentially a decent replacement.

2nlwi1k.png

Pay close attention to Lilac and the turret enemy. I found a nifty Outer Glow effect for MMF2, and I tweaked it so that it gives foreground objects a subtle black outline.

It seems to make things easier to see and has a nice cel-shaded feel to it... but it unfortunately causes lag spikes. If I were to add something like this, I would be better off just adding the outline manually to all of the foreground sprites in the game... which could take a while. xD;

What do you guys think? Would it be worth it?

I wouldn't go with a black outline, personally. While it does make the player/enemy/boss/misc. pop out, it just looks...jarring against the more natural-looking environment. It just doesn't feel right.

The only way I could see this working is if you tweaked the foreground and background to represent a more cel-shaded work then a natural one.