A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Sonic Dash+ Project

Bosses won't be too hard to code once I have it done with hurting you and such. All you'll have to do is add movements and alarms which shouldn't be too hard after it's done.

Working on a data select now. Borrowing heavily from some of OverBounds code but using my own aswell. It'll be a near enough replica of Sonic 3's if I cna get it working and it will replace the current menu which IMO is overly complicated and has a stupid amount of objects and scripts when one object would suffice.

I'm in the process of doing a sonic 3 styled titlescreen and it's half way through completion.

It's not worth putting it out but if you edit the previous GMK I'll have to port a lot over. Can you wait? Or would you like what I have so far in a PM then PM it back to me when you're done?

http://www.mediafire.com/?00b1bc55yfww7ez

WIP Sonic 3 style menu. So far all features work it just doens't have the ability to save yet. Isn't finished but I thought I'd release to let overBound do his stuff.

Some other stuff changed too. Read above for stuff I've changed.

So OverBound I'll continue work when I get your version. Good luck with making the physics more sexy and that. ;D

Also if you want to thank me for any work "+rep" is appreciated :)

EDIT: I left a good 'ol glitch in there for you. Sorry xD

In the global controller object's draw event find the piece of code that looks like this but without the "instance_exists" and it with this....

// Draw Score / Time / Rings letters

if(instance_exists(objRobotnik)) {

if (objRobotnik.hit = 0){

draw_sprite(sprStatsSTR, 0, view_xview[0]+16, view_yview[0]+8);

}

else if (objRobotnik.hit = 1){

draw_sprite(sprStatsSTRHurt, 0, view_xview[0]+16, view_yview[0]+8);

}

}

else

{

draw_sprite(sprStatsSTR, 0, view_xview[0]+16, view_yview[0]+8);

}

EDIT EDIT: Didn't take Mr. S' advice in this I was more working on finishing the data select to a state where I felt I could release it. Will do what you said Bro, straight after OverBound makes his changes.

• Like 1

Not yet no. Need to add that. DOn't know how to pause everything on screen though D:

I had problems added it too. Searching around on the Game Maker forum I found method that works well. Basically deactivate all the objects, take a screenshot and then use that screenshot as the background. Works well.

If you set the current room to persistent, there might be a problem when it comes to ending the level. Damizean left a whole can of goddamn worms for me to figure out when I started using the original Sonic Dash and persistent was turned on.

Also, I'm going away on short notice! So I may not be able to work on the testing level tiles for a week. Sorry. :/

(also also also also: you NEED to get Overbound to help you with GSI!)

So... this project is getting bigger.... It's nice to see new people working on Sonic engines.

Right now I'm involved in two big projects but if you need any help, just say it.

And thanks for working on this, I hope you will get something awesome here!

• Like 1

Hehe more progress on this?!

Chronic you've been putting a lot in xD

Well its my birthday today so gunna be busy but ive been working on some menu screen midis.. Are we having midi's for the engine music, or mp3's?

Its a size issue..

What does Sonic worlds do in terms of music?

I love how this is turning out. And if it get's to the point where we have a shot at a full-scale collab, I'll be willing to help and stuff.

Also, I'll try and take a crack at the test level tiles. I think I have something like it somewhere on my hard drive...

@JetHawk

Happy Birthdayz, man.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. <3

I too love it when a community joins together to make something awesome. I can very definately see a "Sonic Dash+ Level Collab!" in the future. Another great thing is Game Maker are soon releasing a piece of software called "Game Maker Studio" this allows the user to export games to; Pc, Mac, Linux, iPod/iPad and Html5(to run on websites). Through this we will solve the problems Sonic Worlds for MMF2 has with cross-platforming.

I can externally load mp3's from a folder it's no biggy I've done it plenty of times before I know how.

Happy Birthday JetHawk :) I'll be joining you in a month and 8 days time.

Thanks Kirs! That's really appreciated. I'll throw you a PM if I need some help, cheers:)

EarthmasterT, that would be great! And feel free to help anytime I'm 100% going for this!

EDIT: And Toaster1 I know what I'm doing bro, I know how persistency worked. I have a pretty acurate Megaman engine I made ocmpletely myself and I use the same technique :)

Well, I could take a shot at it.

I recall Worlds' tileset being the loopy pixel-set.

Here, I'll bite. Of course, it's a beta.

Of course, I'll try learning Damizean's style of coding so I can help make this project even better.

Also, I'll be willing to try and do tilesets. Just throwin' that out there. and should we also try and do our own edits of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles for it?

post-5006-138639764789_thumb.png

• Like 1

I'll get round to changing the cartoony Tails and Knuckles sprites into their Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles counterparts, respectively.

Idk, I've always thought that that tileset slike that are bland and visuals play a role in whether someone would want to use an engine imo aswell. For instance, Sonic XG was flawed but because of it's aesthetic qualities it got a ton of reception. Imagine if we have a solid engine and some cracking visuals to go with it?

Damizeans way of coding isn't a way I've seen many times before however after a couple hours of inspection everything became pretty clear to me.

I quickly coded up one of those blue springs in Sonic XG that shoot you up farther everytime you hit it, the code took like 2 mins. Finding a pallette I liked for the sprite took longer. And I made the title screens mechanics work better including, all the player selects there all the time and when you change the character on one it doesn't change all the rest too.

I'll port these over once OverBound has finished touching up the physics on my previous build.