A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Sonic Dash+ Project

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170721/Old_Gmk.rar

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170721/Sonic%20D%2B.rar

Me and Kris made some additions to the Sonic Dash engine using code made for Time Twisted by me, AeroGP, RogueYoshi, Kris, Power Hedgehog, and Damizean. This is that engine its not complete because we did not complete everything that was in time twisted. So I am also releasing the old time twisted gmk too. Use them as you will, but realize they are kind of broken.

Theres no documentation but I will be happy to answer the questions I am able to.

Edit: Since not all the graphics are by me and since I don't feel like contacting everyone that helped me out please refrain from using them.

• 1 month later...

Wait, you're publicising the former engine? Does this mean we should make the All-In-Onetm Sonic Dash+ with what you've partially done?

Because I would probably be all for it if I hadn't gone through a total crisis about discovering that I am absolutely shit at coding forever.

All my drive to code has totally dissapeared, which is depressing.

In any case my full support (and condolences) to those who will try to wrangle with the non-euclidean writhing horrorterrors that could collectively be reffered to as Sonic Dash's internal workings.

Godspeed.

• Like 1

Well I'm just adidng faetures ot the version I have. I don't mind letting what I've done go public. Some of the stuff I've added I coded myself and some I've picked up from other places or had help with from looking at OverBounds codes in time-twisted.

We could end up making an open-source engine with lots of gimmicks and features with this, much like wonic worlds.

Mercury is also almost done with his engine too. Which is of course GM too and has more features than Worlds. It has features such as level importing, its own level editor, externally loaded resources, pixel shaders, and perfect physics due to the fact that its basically Naka's engine plus improvements coded in GM. The only problem for some people might be how complex it is. So maybe Dash+ could be an easier alternative.

1-10 I have no idea. The both engines are set up as states machines which is by far the best way to do it. However, GML tutorials and the GM helpfile really don't teach what a states machine is. That's why people find Dash so hard to get into. Once you understand the logic of it though, it becomes much easier.

That goes for Mecury's engine too. But various collisions are not set up in nice little script functions like they are in Dash which makes things more difficult. I still don't have a good grasp on how collisions work in AeStHete (Mecury's engine).

Is there a newer point of reference I could read and copy?

The one last big thing I need to play around with and understand is level progression and savestates - and that's the thing that seems to be missing from every engine.

I think I understand the basic idea; have an object which loads the next room. But I can't work out how to do all the other "end of level" stuff like tally scores, and maybe even grade the player like the modern games.

...and as for checkpoints? Guh. Can not even begin to fathom that.

Gonna dick around with Time Twisted some more cause it is awesome, seeing someone else's built up game. But I don't know how well anything will translate to the SDASH I'm using. :<

I actually have a level tally for Sonic Dash, but it is a bit hackish in parts.

I'll try and put it in, and people can expand upon it, but if I can't I'll post the code here and someone Chronic can try and implement it.

Of course, it may already be in and Dark Raven could just not have seen the engine, so... I guess it may not be useful at all. I'll just take a poke around first.