A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Sonic Dash+ Project

Not so far it doesn't. I can port some of your stuff over if you'd like?

I don't mind co-ordinating this project but I would rather get the opinion of the people who made the DASH+.gmk originally and if any of them want to take over they can, but if no one is up for it I'll do it.

So, am I better off moving my sprites and rooms and such from SDASH into SDASH+ ?

Or should I copy the new stuff from SDASH + into my older SDASH?

I can't find it now, but someone said that SDASH + has loads of random code cleaned up from the original release? So I would be better off copying my work from the older engine, yah? :P

I'll try but I lost all motivation to code and I really need to learn how to code properly, and in a real language, instead of fucking things over with GM all the time.

I mean, I'm almost fifteen and I don't know how to code! How else could I possibly pick up nerdgirls and become rich!?

(some of that was incredibly not so witty sarcasm but does represent some future ideals of mine.)

Is there any gimmicks in your engine that you wish to add to DASH+?

There's a difficulty curve to coding I'll give you that but after the initial basics of a coding language you realise how open your potentials come. You always learn new stuff but as long as you have the core basics of any language learnt the rest comes hand in hand.

I only coded one gimmick before I gave up on Sonic Genesis. It is one I would rather not publicise because I didn't finish it all the way through. It kept on breaking, and it is probably WHY I gave up on Sonic Genesis...

Also, thanks for the advice. To be fair, I haven't even started trying to learn, so... :P

Copied my work from the SDASH into SDASH+, but I'm getting an error on entering a level;

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1

of Create Event

for object objGlobalController:

Invalid first character

What's weird is? I only get this sometimes. I have also clicked play and the game runs fine with no error. :/

I'm sure I've copied everything across, I dunno what I've missed. @__@

EDIT: I know this is gonna turn out to be something blindingly obvious. T___T

EDIT EDIT: More weirdness; on the rare occasions it does run, some of the sprites are messed up now, same animations playing for both Speed 1 and 2. Weird. :/

EDIT EDIT EDIT: For no reason at all, seems to have resolved now; the game has run the last 5 times I've played it. But the animations are weird; the idle animation for instance, plays at crazy fast speed. But after playing around in the level for a minute or so, the idle animation plays at the proper speed.

EDIT IV, THE EDITING: breaking the records for edits, think I know the issue with the animations for speed 1 and 2 running; SDASH + has totally different animation scripts and sprites for Sonic, and I based Shadow's animation scripts on Sonic's from SDASH, so obviously it doesn't translate properly. :<

EDIT V, THE FINAL EDIT: aaand without changing anything, that "error in action 1 of objGlobal Controller" is back. Whooo.

EDIT VI, REVENGE OF THE EDIT: I really hate when there's a problem like this, which seems to appear and disappear with no user intervention at all. Even if it settles down, I'm gonna be wondering forevermore "what if it's just waiting to reappear somewhere down the line?" :/

@Toaster1, you've given up on Sonic Genesis? Please don't tell me just because you're having trouble coding! I loved that games demo. It'd be a shame to waste it just because you're having some difficulties. Would you like me to see if I can help with the gimmick which you speak of? Feel free to pm me.

@OverBound, I'll keep that in mind, thank you:)

@Dark Raven, I changed Sonics ".ANIM" file to allow for peelout, please use the "sonic.anim" file I included in the zip.

Yeah, Shadow's a seperate character from Sonic. I did have this same error when I first started in Vanilla DASH, but it was consistent, and the cause was that I hadn't set a constant for Shadow. In DASH+ the error comes and goes, and I have set the constant for Shadow, so it's confounding me good and proper. :/

Oh yah, and I dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Breakable Wall is glitched! :o

ALSO! DASH+ seems to play at a smaller window size than vanilla DASH? Anyway to change that? I liked having the medium size window, not full screen. :3

Make sure you have changed all the scripts involving player ID's too also include shadows.

The breakable wall is fixed in the my current verison which I will release after I have added some more gimmicks, like I said the version I gave you was a temporary one.

It's in the "Global Game Settings", the temporary version you have has it changed because I prefer it that way.