A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mecha Madness not making it to SAGE

I have a computer that can run Crysis at a decent framerate at the highest settings. This game at times is still slow on that PC.

Funnily enough, you CAN actually beat the level despite it being incomplete - just spam the teleport across the massive gap, and when you reach the end, drop down till the end of level thing comes up, and keep teleporting upwards to prevent yourself from dying before it finishes.

Though, I do have one gripe with this game - I personally think the controls are too loose. When it comes to 'combat heavy' games, characters generally aren't as slow to start moving from an idle position as Sonic is, because if they did, they would be wide open for opportune enemies. In this game, it makes it harder to avoid enemy attacks. I personally think Sonic's ground and aerial controls should be tighter - at the very least, make it easier for him to get moving from a standing position or turn around. Why the hell not? There's already a boost move, and Sonic can clear loops with a hilariously small run-up, so momentum is moot point.

First off i'd like to say this is one of the most impressive Sonic Fangames i've played. The engine is pretty well done.

As for the gameplay, i think the combat idea works well enough, and the special moves are really nice. Im gonna have to agree with Candescence about Sonic's movement, though, he does feel really stiff.

MY issue with the combat system has to do with the combat itself. Im not sure if you wanted the game to be more about doing combos or simply plowing through enemies with the special attacks, but Sonic's abilities seem to be either too kinetic or too static -- either they won't hit the enemy, or they'll blow the enemy off the screen somewhere. It's fun to blast the enemy with a falcon kick or something, but nothing seems to be able to follow up. Sonic's neutral combo seems to knock them away before i can even finish it at times. It's fun to use the special moves, but i wish i could actually use the other moves, or chain them into eachother. But at this point, all the special moves do the same thing -- blow the enemy off the screen. It kind of takes the fun out of using them if they all do the same thing. For example, how the Falcon Kick sends them upwards for an easy Up-B grab. If there were larger flow charts for moves like that, it would be way cooler. Im not saying to turn this into a fighting game or Devil May Cry or anything, but it would be nice if all the moves didn't just have "MASSIVE KNOCKBACK" properties to them.

I really couldn't find a use for any of the smash attacks, either. Well, except the Up-smash, which i used to just juggle that hammer bitch until he died.

The effects are nice, but most of the time (specifically that WARNING enemy rush moment) the distortion effects and giant explosions constantly make me wonder what the hell is going on. I actually lost where sonic was on the screen at one point. The game runs nicely on my PC but never "smoothly"; but im sure this is just one of the sad drawbacks of using MMF2 and me using a laptop.

Enemies are one of my biggest issues though. The way they attack you is really annoying -- they just instantly run up and hit you with a combo you barely have any time to react to. Give them some startup / cooldown frames inbetween all their states so they wont be so twitchy and annoying to fight against.

I know its a demo, but in terms of glitches i did encounter one or two. I got stuck on the control switching screen once, and everytime i run out of lives, im stuck on a black screen listening to tails commit suicide over and over.

Also, another glitch i encountered while during the Enemy Rush part of the stage is that everytime you switch elements, all the enemies' positions get temporarily moved around and whatnot. (sure this has something to do with the instances)

It was fun though.

I have a computer that can run Crysis at a decent framerate at the highest settings. This game at times is still slow on that PC.

Yes, but can it run smoothly at the highest settings? ;p

It really is too bad that this game has to work within MMF2's limits in terms of performance, and honestly this engine is much more optimized than it was before. So much has been done already though that we'd prefer to continue with what we got.

Also a general tip for everyone. If you find that the game is lagging constantly and you picked a Joypad device in the input manager, try picking a Joystick2 device (shows the device's actual name) or using keyboard/mouse. The Joypad device seems to lag exponentially based on how many input devices you have connected to the machine.

• 6 months later...
The reason why Mecha Madness is dropping from SAGE is because I'm moving it away from MMF2 and bringing it into a better platform with real programming language. MMF2 has lived out its novelty.

I personally disagree. For what it does, MMF2 is a very good program. Of course, Clickteam are a bit derpy with exporters and whatnot, but overall, it's a good program for making small 2D games with little-to-no coding involved.

For a fangame, I personally think MMF2 is enough, if it's in 2D/Pre-rendered 2.5D. If it were an indie game to be actually published across various fronts, or perhaps anything in 3D, then sure, a more professional coding language would be suitable, but honestly, porting this to C++ or whatever would probably more effort than it's worth for this kind of thing.

But that's just my two cents on the matter.

I personally disagree. For what it does, MMF2 is a very good program. Of course, Clickteam are a bit derpy with exporters and whatnot, but overall, it's a good program for making small 2D games with little-to-no coding involved.

For a fangame, I personally think MMF2 is enough, if it's in 2D/Pre-rendered 2.5D. If it were an indie game to be actually published across various fronts, or perhaps anything in 3D, then sure, a more professional coding language would be suitable, but honestly, porting this to C++ or whatever would probably more effort than it's worth for this kind of thing.

But that's just my two cents on the matter.

MMF2 is a broken program which handles objects poorly. It isn't very optimized and I ran into a production wall with it. I'm NOT porting this into C++ but for MM's new platform, C++ and LUA will definitely be used.

If Construct wasn't so buggy, it would hold candle to MMF2 with extra wax.

My thoughts exactly.

Anyway to all, we will release information about the future of the project as things develop. For awhile though, things will be pretty quiet. We have a lot of work to do...