A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mecha Madness not making it to SAGE

Looking more and more Smash Brothers every time I see it. I wonder if there is any way you could do zooming when the game gets more combat focused. Eh, that'd probably be too elaborate. Anyway, looking good Streak.

In Construct it's dead easy. There's a way to do it in MMF2 as well.

If you ask at Clickteam, they'll just tell you use the Zoom Shader(the pack hass it inside it).

I think you can do i using the perspective object as well. However, I don't think you can zoom in on a single object.

The only way I see that combat system working is with a game that plays like The Subspace Emissary mode from SSBB. Maybe that's what your going for given the sound effects. I didn't play the demo but from the video it looks as if you could just run by all the enemies with no penalty at all. It doesn't help that the level is rather straight forward either. The parts for pure combat where the screen gets stuck look interesting but you obviously can't have a whole game of just that. Aside from Emissary mode I'd recommend you consider looking at The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES for some ideas on how to make a combat heavy platformer.

I have absolutely no idea how you are gonna build levels around this. there's so much going on in the gameplay that you're gonna have to have levels designed around each power present, and then find ways to make them challenging (how you can do that with the warping is beyond me though). and equally, the fact you're sonic and can just run past stuff makes this worse. I guess this means you might have to have sections of constant running along with everything else just to have speed fights and stuff.

In short, I kinda thing you overdesigned yourself into a corner. I thought so with the previous iteration too, but it's still equally as bad now as it was then.

I have absolutely no idea how you are gonna build levels around this. there's so much going on in the gameplay that you're gonna have to have levels designed around each power present, and then find ways to make them challenging (how you can do that with the warping is beyond me though). and equally, the fact you're sonic and can just run past stuff makes this worse. I guess this means you might have to have sections of constant running along with everything else just to have speed fights and stuff.

In short, I kinda thing you overdesigned yourself into a corner. I thought so with the previous iteration too, but it's still equally as bad now as it was then.

Stay out of my threads. Nothing you say has any semblance of being constructive.

I've thought that the way this game is designed makes it a complicated thing to piece together for a while now, but you know, it is hardly an insurmountable challenge. Eggman Hates Furries worked pretty well in spite of being a mixed game that didn't rely entirely on platforming, so it isn't hard to see a mixed game that relies mostly on fighting working too.

I've thought that the way this game is designed makes it a complicated thing to piece together for a while now, but you know, it is hardly an insurmountable challenge. Eggman Hates Furries worked pretty well in spite of being a mixed game that didn't rely entirely on platforming, so it isn't hard to see a mixed game that relies mostly on fighting working too.

Its not that it can't work. The combat system rocks and there are many great 2D combat platformers, I already mentioned The New Adventures Batman and Robin because that game gives Batman a lot of combat moves and powerups/gadgets. Its just the current level design of the demo makes very little sense given the combat system. Here's a video of that game btw.

I think the way to do a mix of combat and platforming is to separate to two in the level. You have to do something otherwise you can just walk by all the enemies. Batman did this by taking away camera control from the player so the player can focus on the combat and worry about falling, jumping (outside of using it in combat of course), and camera control. That's not to say you take camera control alway the whole time but you need to have sections for combat. Streak did this in a few spots in the demo but it needs to happen much more frequently I think. Streak's were also rather simplistic. Streak you should consider doing similar areas but give the player more room to move its ok if the camera scrolls a little but don't allow the player to escape the battles always. A more simplistic way to look at it would be you should have bits of platforming between more frequent battle areas. I'm not sure exactly how your engine works but you will probably need a pretty flexible camera system to pull this off.

The elemental abilities also won't all be given to you from the start. Especially the final element which grants you teleportation; you'll have to specifically earn that power.

I wish Streak would have waited until a more representable demo was ready, but I guess he just wanted some people to finally give it a try, not to mention there are many things waiting for me to code which I won't be able to until the Summer...

Anyone played Castlevania: Harmony of Despair? It could certainly be classified as a 'combat' platformer as well, but unlike its predecessors, it's a weird mixture of Metroidvania and traditional level structure. In a way, it's kinda like Classic Sonic level design, but, of course, less focus on speed and more focus on exploration to find all sorts of hidden goodies.

And, on some levels, the boss will actively attempt to hinder your progress even if you're nowhere near the boss room. Death's level has Death himself leave his boss room, and the only way to get rid of him until you actually reach his boss room is to shine spotlights on him. It's an interesting idea.

Thankfully, in this case, the main incentive to actually fight enemies would be the EXP system, otherwise bosses would probably slaughter the player.

Remember, this is a very early build of the game. There will be many different enemy experiences in the game. I don't want to resort to locking you in a place just to fight enemies to move on. There will be places where it will be completely necessary to fight enemies to get into different paths. I want to treat this like a sonic game that isn't focused on the fighting too much to make it less of a sonic game. Also, your powers arent without merit either. You will have to use pretty much all of them to solve puzzles and get things going. The game is more than just an aimless beat em up with super powers tacked on. You have control of the elements for a reason and it will be your job to use them to save... everything.

Either Application and Windows crashed when I did this:

bugreport01.png

I was using an Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM running @ 2.53GHz, with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.

It lasted forever for me to get used with all its moves, and I still didn't.

It is actually a very good work. Keep up with this; I wanna know how other stages are going to play with it.

But uhm... are the Egg Pawns really supposed to jump back right when you jump? It makes the combos kinda annoying to do.