A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My new character: Rashi Nondowa

conicteam

It's attitudes like this that cause unappealing material to rise in the media. You want to do a comic in Japan based on an idealized setting that appeals to you created by Animes, which in reality, bears little resemblance to what you're believing.

Also called Did Not Do the Research

It's like if I made a comic with a setting in New York, it wouldn't make much sense because I've never even experienced it, despite seeing it in the media all the time. However, I'd be much more prepared to make a comic set in New Orleans or something.

I did my research alright. In fact, the main villan in this series, Hiroto Junaido, was going to be a veteran in war that Japan was a part of, that is until I researched and found out that after WWII, Japan wasn't in ANY wars!

And I went through a phase were all my comics would take place in Virginia, but now I want to actually work hard to do the comic. I've gotten information about Japan not only from anime and manga, but I also did some research of my own on Japanese quisine and Japanese military.

You're not getting the message.

You can't make a comic about living in Japan, because you have no idea what it's like. Sure I'm a nerd for British and Mexican stuff, but until I actually can experience life in those cultures, any work I did centering around them would most likely show some ignorance or lack of understanding.

The bottom line is you need to do something more original.

That's exactly what we're talking about. The story isn't coming from you. You are determined to write it about Japan and only Japan, even going as far as changing a character when you realized he couldn't be Japanese.

I was in the same boat as you once: Thinking my ideas were cool just cause I slapped together some ideas that appealed to me. But I never looked at it from some else's point of view. Your story is set in Japan and you're planning on making a manga. Hoo boy, well lets get to crackin then:

1.) Your art needs work. I don't mean, some tweaking here and there, I mean work. Get a "How to Draw" book and/or take a class. What you're working with right now isn't going to garner the attention you want, or more over, none at all. Learn about anatomy.

2.) Learn about the mindset of an age group. The only way a 3 year old would like/dislike, or function like a normal character is if they were hit with a genius ray or was Fantastic Max. It wouldn't work. Plus, a 3 year old wouldn't be able to do jacksh** in a fight or anything extreme other then get pounded into goo unless he had some superpower of some kind. Do you know how strong a 3 year old is?

3.) Let me pick apart your profile here:

This age is terrible for a recurring character, unless they were a superbaby or a subject that was either kidnapped or just a supporting role to a main character.

Likes: Music, The Beatles, anime, retrogames, Sonic the Hedgehog, candy, being babied by his mom.

I can understand him liking music; a specific band is stretching it; retorogames makes no sense to his character (But I don't specifically know his character so, yeah); Sonic the Hedgehog? Really? Really? You're giving one of his likes a character that is copyrighted and someone else's idea? You don't do that. Any person who is making a cartoon knows that you can't use specific characters or products that exist unless you are willing to pay loads of cash. Then again, you just don't do it because its no very wise; candy is predictable; Being babied by his mom? No comment on that.

Dislikes: Being told no, vegtable curries, spicy curries

Since he doesn't like being told no, this is an indication of being spoiled. Is he spoiled? Or is this just con you threw in just to be a con; Curry? That's it? Why not just be blunt and say vegetables and spicy food?

Hometown: Tokyo, Japan

I'm gonna be a parrot and copy what others have said about this: Don't set it in a place you haven't done excessive research on. I said excessive, because you can't just look at locations, names, streets, houses, etc and call that research. You have to look at mannerisms, what people normally do there, what is on TV that some characters would like or genres of shows they would like, basically how people function over there. Research that actually makes it seem authentic and not just "Hey, I love anime and Japan so I think it should be set here!"

If you don't put in the work, then forget about using material like this. Stick to what you know. You say that you don't wanna use your home state and you say its cause of the stereotypes and the president? You know this is just a bull excuse so you can deflect criticism on what you think is cool, right? Cause it is. That statement proves that you just want to use Japan cause you think its cooler than America, when you have no idea what life is like over there.

talents: drawing, singing, perfect pitch, guitar, strength

A three year old can barely draw unless they were naturally gifted, and him being naturally gifted would cause conflicts with his character; Again, a three year old can't sing unless they were naturally gifted, and its impossible for them to have perfect pitch. Impossible. (I know for a fact that this is something you took from Jimmy Kudo on Detective Conan/Case Closed.); there is no way a three year old could be able to play the guitar; Ah, so he is super strong? Okay, how did he get this strong? Where did this super baby strength come from? There is no explanation, so I assume it's just to make him cool. Plus the main problem: A three year old having super strength. Do you know how dangerous that is to him and everyone around him? He wouldn't have the mindset to use that power for good, cause he's a three year old!

Bio: Rashi was your everday 3 year old boy until one day, a man named Hiroto Junaido after Tokyo is hit by a flurry of meteor showers. Now he fights with his brother to stop Hiroto's quest for total domination.

What's an everyday three year old? That second line makes no sense. Wut? This bio barely tells the viewer anything, other than its just some kid and his brother who save the world from somebody. Um, I'm pretty sure its been done before.

-----------------------------

Wrap up: Take it from a guy who was like you before. You need to learn about originality and a little thing called consistency. Cause right now, this is just some fan idea that people will pass off and laugh at.

• Like 1

You can't work hard to do a comic set in the same place as you? No matter what, you should be working hard on story and character design/development and such. There is no reason at all that it needs to be set in any specific location.
This probably is why Walt was so successful with Mickey; he wasn't in a specific spot. Mickey just went around and did his thing wherever their story idea made sense.

..Even though as his studio grew, they did begin to do research.*

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_with_Disney http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_Bobsleds#History are just a few examples.

The development behind Sonic 2 could also work as an example.

anything I could say has already been said, but I just wanted to say that the picture of the psycho muscle 3 year old is rather hilarious. I would watch a series about that shit.

Thanks, glad you like it! Should have been doing my homework however lololol. Maybe I should drop out of school and just work on that full time forever.

I was in the same boat as you once: Thinking my ideas were cool just cause I slapped together some ideas that appealed to me. But I never looked at it from some else's point of view. Your story is set in Japan and you're planning on making a manga. Hoo boy, well lets get to crackin then:

1.) Your art needs work. I don't mean, some tweaking here and there, I mean work. Get a "How to Draw" book and/or take a class. What you're working with right now isn't going to garner the attention you want, or more over, none at all. Learn about anatomy.

2.) Learn about the mindset of an age group. The only way a 3 year old would like/dislike, or function like a normal character is if they were hit with a genius ray or was Fantastic Max. It wouldn't work. Plus, a 3 year old wouldn't be able to do jacksh** in a fight or anything extreme other then get pounded into goo unless he had some superpower of some kind. Do you know how strong a 3 year old is?

3.) Let me pick apart your profile here:

This age is terrible for a recurring character, unless they were a superbaby or a subject that was either kidnapped or just a supporting role to a main character.

I can understand him liking music; a specific band is stretching it; retorogames makes no sense to his character (But I don't specifically know his character so, yeah); Sonic the Hedgehog? Really? Really? You're giving one of his likes a character that is copyrighted and someone else's idea? You don't do that. Any person who is making a cartoon knows that you can't use specific characters or products that exist unless you are willing to pay loads of cash. Then again, you just don't do it because its no very wise; candy is predictable; Being babied by his mom? No comment on that.

Since he doesn't like being told no, this is an indication of being spoiled. Is he spoiled? Or is this just con you threw in just to be a con; Curry? That's it? Why not just be blunt and say vegetables and spicy food?

I'm gonna be a parrot and copy what others have said about this: Don't set it in a place you haven't done excessive research on. I said excessive, because you can't just look at locations, names, streets, houses, etc and call that research. You have to look at mannerisms, what people normally do there, what is on TV that some characters would like or genres of shows they would like, basically how people function over there. Research that actually makes it seem authentic and not just "Hey, I love anime and Japan so I think it should be set here!"

If you don't put in the work, then forget about using material like this. Stick to what you know. You say that you don't wanna use your home state and you say its cause of the stereotypes and the president? You know this is just a bull excuse so you can deflect criticism on what you think is cool, right? Cause it is. That statement proves that you just want to use Japan cause you think its cooler than America, when you have no idea what life is like over there.

A three year old can barely draw unless they were naturally gifted, and him being naturally gifted would cause conflicts with his character; Again, a three year old can't sing unless they were naturally gifted, and its impossible for them to have perfect pitch. Impossible. (I know for a fact that this is something you took from Jimmy Kudo on Detective Conan/Case Closed.); there is no way a three year old could be able to play the guitar; Ah, so he is super strong? Okay, how did he get this strong? Where did this super baby strength come from? There is no explanation, so I assume it's just to make him cool. Plus the main problem: A three year old having super strength. Do you know how dangerous that is to him and everyone around him? He wouldn't have the mindset to use that power for good, cause he's a three year old!

What's an everyday three year old? That second line makes no sense. Wut? This bio barely tells the viewer anything, other than its just some kid and his brother who save the world from somebody. Um, I'm pretty sure its been done before.

-----------------------------

Wrap up: Take it from a guy who was like you before. You need to learn about originality and a little thing called consistency. Cause right now, this is just some fan idea that people will pass off and laugh at.

Now, I did not get the perfect pitch thing from Jimmy Kudo. It's actually because I have perfect pitch myself. And an explantation for his strength will be in the first comic.

And did I ever say he was GOOD at drawing? No! I just said it was one of his talents. If Mozart can play guitar at age 5, then it wouldn't be too musch of a stretch for Rashi to play it at age 3. You say kids Rashi's age can't sing? I've been singing probably since I could talk, so you can scratch that!

The spicy curry thing I did not know was an anime stereotype. I just thought it was a stereotype ofr someone his age along with the vegtable curry thing. Being told no is another stereotype of kids his age.

And for pete-*Ringo nudges me not to say that word* I mean for god's sake STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BEING SET IN TOKYO JAPAN! I'm doing my research now and I plan to check out some NOVELS written by ACTUAL Japanese authors to prepare me for making the manga!

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BEING SET IN TOKYO JAPAN! I'm doing my research now and I plan to check out some NOVELS written by ACTUAL Japanese authors to prepare me for making the manga!

Okay, are you dumb? You are completely missing the point. Novels are fiction. The same thing we have been trying to steer you away from basing your story on since the very beginning.

Damn, it's like it just hits his ear and bounces off.

Okay, are you dumb? You are completely missing the point. Novels are fiction. The same thing we have been trying to steer you away from basing your story on since the very beginning.

Damn, it's like it just hits his ear and bounces off.

Well, manga is probably not the best source. But Japanese liturature probably is, especialy the more realistic ones. I probably won't find much in my school's library, but it's worth a try. I'm currently researching Tokyo to better understand the setting of the manga I'm working on.

Well, manga is probably not the best source. But Japanese liturature probably is, especialy the more realistic ones. I probably won't find much in my school's library, but it's worth a try. I'm currently researching Tokyo to better understand the setting of the manga I'm working on.

Japan isn't exactly world-renowned for it's modern literature (though stuff that was written 400-800 years ago tends to comprise your typical world literature class). If you want to try to understand Japan without going there, there is only one real way to do that. Read text books.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Have-Word-Complete-Thought/dp/0844283169/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272012155&sr=8-3

Oh, and I suspect people will make fun of you less if you actually learn to draw before making the bold statement that you plant o make a 'manga' about a roid-raging 3 year old who currently looks like one of his hands is some kind of hook.

everyone in japan eats ramen every day for every meal and they cut each others heads off when they are disgrace and they drive gundam mechs to work every day.

FACT.

I wish that was actually real because other than the disgrace part, that would be the coolest place to live ever. Okay, well, except for the food part too.

Okay, I just want to drive the giant robots. Okay, another okay.