A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My new character: Rashi Nondowa

conicteam

I know how to draw! My art is not the best, but it's better than most kids my age! And I just relized: You guys said that manga wasn't an accurate representation of japanese life, but the manga I'm making doesn't really focus on the everyday life of this person. It focuses on his and his borther's fight to stop Hiroto Junaido from causing a war in Japan and to stop him from conquering all the world.

Please... just go back to deviantart and quit while people are still showing some semblance of kindness. You're doing absolutely everything wrong and need some sort of wake up call.

The true turning point in an artist of any kind's life is when he doesn't care what over people think. It appears that you guys don't understand what I'm trying to do with this series I'm making. I don't expect everyone to like it, but I don't expect it to flop either. From day one I was either hassled or heckled, and this is no exception. I understand you guys might not like it and think I should do some things differently, but don't act like it's your way or the highway!

I hope this same cycle doesn't repeat when I release a demo of my fangame soon.

I know how to draw! My art is not the best, but it's better than most kids my age! And I just relized: You guys said that manga wasn't an accurate representation of japanese life, but the manga I'm making doesn't really focus on the everyday life of this person. It focuses on his and his borther's fight to stop Hiroto Junaido from causing a war in Japan and to stop him from conquering all the world.

Your immaturity really shows. We've tried to give you constructive criticism and help you out, but you've decided to be a little whiner about it.

And no, you do not know how to draw. It doesn't matter if it's "good for kids your age", it's not good enough to be a "manga". Until you can admit this and actually practice, you're never going to improve.

I hope this same cycle doesn't repeat when I release a demo of my fangame soon.

Just a heads up, people here... especially myself... can be pretty rough on fan games when they are saturated poor craftsmanship. If you can't take that kind of heat, I'd suggest either waiting until you've learned to produce something of considerable quality or releasing at RAGE.

Your immaturity really shows. We've tried to give you constructive criticism and help you out, but you've decided to be a little whiner about it.

And no, you do not know how to draw. It doesn't matter if it's "good for kids your age", it's not good enough to be a "manga". Until you can admit this and actually practice, you're never going to improve.

If I did not know how to draw, then how could I produce the images I produced? You just don't like the style probably. I took your advice and I admit it's not good enough for a PROFENSIONAL manga, but it's probably decent for an AMUTUER manga.

I have a grasp of what life in Japan is like (not JUST from anime, but from research and my dad who used to be a SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER AND A GEOGRAPHY TEACHER)! You guys probably don't like the idea of the manga, but it's how it's executed is how it counts.

Imagine if you were in the same room with The Beatles when they decided not to tour anymore. You might've thought they were crazy, but look at what came from it. It is all in the execution of the idea.

My point is that I'll defend my art no matter what.:smad: :smad: :smad:

Let me give you an example of how I used to draw when I first started out:

This is me when I though that my art kicked ass. My opinion was law and everything bad everyone said was just them being jealous of my talent:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6986/hansel.jpg

And this is me when I wised up, got my foot out of my mouth and ears and listened to criticism that is needed to get better.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4595/hanselredo.png

See the difference?

• Like 1

If I did not know how to draw, then how could I produce the images I produced? You just don't like the style probably.

No, people don't like it because it's shitty, not because "they don't like the style". Jesus. You can't use the excuse "Oh that's just my style" to get away with shitty art.

Just take the advice man, it means well. Don't set the story someplace you don't currently live in or haven't lived for a reasonable amount of time. Practice. Take criticism, etc.

Also, for everyone else, you don't have to be so vehement about it. Chances are he won't listen anyway, and not amount of cursing is going to change it.

Just take the advice man, it means well. Don't set the story someplace you don't currently live in or haven't lived for a reasonable amount of time. Practice. Take criticism, etc.

I took the criticism on my art, but I'm keeping the setting. If you guys would just accept that I won't change the setting and stop trying to convince me to do so we'll get along.

It appears that you guys don't understand what I'm trying to do with this series I'm making.

It appears you have no talent to properly create a story with these sort of concepts, or should I say concepts that have been handled better than you can ever hope to achieve and directly rip from for your work. You should just give up on this absurd necessity to make MAI ANEEMAY. You will never once be considered serious if you keep on this path, and potentially threaten to ruin whatever artistic merit your future may hold.

But you'll obviously take the 'holier than thou' approach, so you may as well just get out while the getting is still good.

No, people don't like it because it's shitty, not because "they don't like the style". Jesus. You can't use the excuse "Oh that's just my style" to get away with shitty art.

THIS

I took the criticism on my art, but I'm keeping the setting. If you guys would just accept that I won't change the setting and stop trying to convince me to do so we'll get along.

You know what, don't change the setting. You'll eventually see for yourself that nobody will ever take this seriously.

And as for the art, no. It's not even good for an AMATEUR "manga". It looks like the flipbooks I made when I was in the first grade for art class. (It actually looks very similar) You need to practice, and to do that, you need to get your head out of your ass and admit that you're nowhere near perfect. It's the only way you'll even even get any hope of being an artist.

"Good art" is subjective and varies from person to person. It just so happens that everyone here thinks it's bad.

Here, you want me to take it seriously? I'll critique your work like any other artwork:

-He's three years old, but he looks like a midget who's been working the fuck out. The missing teeth seem like an afterthought when you realized he doesn't look like he's three.

-Totally inconsistent proportions. Just looking at your first images, his arms don't even match up. Now, I know I touched myself a lot when I was 3, but not to the point where I developed a masturbating arm. That wasn't until I was 4. Also, your hands look like lego people hands. Zero believability to them.

-To add insult to injury, you can't keep his proportions consistent between drawings. You drew his face twice in the same image and his eyes are totally different shapes, and super close to each other in one shot. Not that they have much room (they're huuuuuuuuuuuge).

-Your colors are super saturated. Tone it down, broski. Too many saturated colors = heavy competition and a violent attack on the retinas.

-Your logo is falt out totally and completely unreadable. I think it says: Star Fighters: McGorgins K.

-Line quality is a mess. A total mess. Ideally, one either keeps lines consistent throughout a drawing, or varies them to emphasize shape and volume. There's no rhyme or reason to how you've used the lines. It's like you drew this with a Wooly Willy.

-That's not how hair shading works. Not unless you shower with Crisco.

Let's look at the second image:

-Great. His skin is kinda pink now. I know you're probably just making this in Paint, but even I knew how to pick decent skin tones using the color tool. Clearly, Hue and Saturation are the furthest things from your mind.

-I have no idea what's going on with your mouths. I get what you're going for, but that point just puuuuuuuuuulls itself dangerously close to the center of the face. I don't know too many artists who do that (cartoonist or otherwise). I tried to envision a scenario where I would possibly smile that much, but it would involve Rachel McAdams, chocolate cake, and booze. Then I got distracted looking at images of Rachel McAdams before realizing I still need to finish this critique.

-Arms are still totally disproportional. One of his arms has a second elbow joint under his sleeve? That or it's horribly bent. And he's got some kind of Popeye thing going on where his forearm is jacked but the rest of his arm is all noodley.

-I don't even want to look at the third image anymore. I'm deleting my history so that my girlfriend doesn't know I was looking at this. This isn't so much of a constructive comment as it is me placing the blame on you if I end up dying alone.

Things to work on:

-Proportions

-Anatomy

-Color

-Line Quality

-Style

EDIT: Oh I didn't read the character bio.

Likes: Music, The Beatles, anime, retrogames, Sonic the Hedgehog, candy, being babied by his mom.

At first I thought you were just projecting yourself onto this character. Then I saw that last bit. Now I sincerely hope you aren't.

Dislikes: Being told no, vegtable curries, spicy curries

Hometown: Tokyo, Japan

Because the "I want to copy anime too" art style didn't leave enough of a bad impression.

talents: drawing, singing, perfect pitch, guitar, strength

Bio: Rashi was your everday 3 year old boy until one day, a man named Hiroto Junaido after Tokyo is hit by a flurry of meteor showers.

What. That's not even a complete sentence! Was the man named after Tokyo? Then why isn't he just called Tokyo? Was the man hit by a flurry of meteor showers? It's one thing to be hit by a meteor, but several showers of meteors is pretty intense. Rest in peace, Mr. Horoto Tokyo Junaido.

Now he fights with his brother to stop Hiroto's quest for total domination.

How can he totally dominate? He was hit by a meteor shower! You just told me so in that last sentence!

Tell me how you like the character.

I don't.

"Good art" is subjective and varies from person to person. It just so happens that everyone here thinks it's bad.

Here, you want me to take it seriously? I'll critique your work like any other artwork:

-He's three years old, but he looks like a midget who's been working the fuck out. The missing teeth seem like an afterthought when you realized he doesn't look like he's three.

-Totally inconsistent proportions. Just looking at your first images, his arms don't even match up. Now, I know I touched myself a lot when I was 3, but not to the point where I developed a masturbating arm. That wasn't until I was 4. Also, your hands look like lego people hands. Zero believability to them.

-To add insult to injury, you can't keep his proportions consistent between drawings. You drew his face twice in the same image and his eyes are totally different shapes, and super close to each other in one shot. Not that they have much room (they're huuuuuuuuuuuge).

-Your colors are super saturated. Tone it down, broski. Too many saturated colors = heavy competition and a violent attack on the retinas.

-Your logo is falt out totally and completely unreadable. I think it says: Star Fighters: McGorgins K.

-Line quality is a mess. A total mess. Ideally, one either keeps lines consistent throughout a drawing, or varies them to emphasize shape and volume. There's no rhyme or reason to how you've used the lines. It's like you drew this with a Wooly Willy.

-That's not how hair shading works. Not unless you shower with Crisco.

Let's look at the second image:

-Great. His skin is kinda pink now. I know you're probably just making this in Paint, but even I knew how to pick decent skin tones using the color tool. Clearly, Hue and Saturation are the furthest things from your mind.

-I have no idea what's going on with your mouths. I get what you're going for, but that point just puuuuuuuuuulls itself dangerously close to the center of the face. I don't know too many artists who do that (cartoonist or otherwise). I tried to envision a scenario where I would possibly smile that much, but it would involve Rachel McAdams, chocolate cake, and booze. Then I got distracted looking at images of Rachel McAdams before realizing I still need to finish this critique.

-Arms are still totally disproportional. One of his arms has a second elbow joint under his sleeve? That or it's horribly bent. And he's got some kind of Popeye thing going on where his forearm is jacked but the rest of his arm is all noodley.

-I don't even want to look at the third image anymore. I'm deleting my history so that my girlfriend doesn't know I was looking at this. This isn't so much of a constructive comment as it is me placing the blame on you if I end up dying alone.

Things to work on:

-Proportions

-Anatomy

-Color

-Line Quality

-Style

EDIT: Oh I didn't read the character bio.

I'll try to work on those. And the Hiroto thing was a typo that I fixed ^^;

And you were close on how I made it, but no cigar. I drew it on paper, scanned it in, and colored it on Paint.NET

come on... please... isn't this the bit where conicteam whips off his mask and says "It was me X all along! Ha, you half ___gots get worked up over the littlest things!"?

It is isn't it?

But if ConicTeam is real:

oh my god you total bell, you know nothing about art practices if that's your approach. how will you ever improve if you don't listen to criticism? there is an abundance of it in this thread and you've just cast it off! WASTEFUL! There are dying children in africa who dream of a nice hot plate of criticism with a hearty helping of mashed insults!

hang on... is "___" censored here?

I'm english! If I had the money to toot on the old cancer sticks, i'd refer to them as "___s". DISCRIMINATION!