A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the old one. =P

I've almost completed Sonic's new ability! I've thought it would be a good idea if adapted to the 2D world. I've added... the quickstep.

It is similar in name only. If you're running fast enough and you press up, you skid for a little bit then turn around, running at full speed. You can use it if you see an enemy or wall-mounted spikes almost too late.

Of course there isn't much use for it in the early zones; you've got to wait for things to heat up before it gets required in a lot of situations. No, it is not going to be the main way to play the game. I just wanted to show new ideas in this game, not get it running by nostalgia alone.

I don't have any screenshots to show because it doesn't look like anything special unless in motion.

Aaaaand nobody has posted yet to talk about his new ability. =(

In other news I just coded a new badnik! This will replace the Crabnet, as it is at least ten times more intuitive. I call it...

The Shellbeater.

1sonicgenesissprite2.png

If you attack his giant claw arm you will be bounced back like if you hit a bumper. Only if you wait for him to move away and then attack his other side will you hope to defeat him. Or, you know, you could just jump over him. =P

It has a funny graphical quirk where whenever it stops and turns around its entire upper torso rotates 180 degrees. Yes I sprited all that. It's much funnier in action however.

The quick step sounds ok but I wonder if its really necessary. Considering the levels you've made so far I just don't see where it would be useful or necessary.

If you want to make your game a bit different why not use a new game wide gimmick. By game wide I mean the gimmicks are are in every level such as springs and boost pads or in the newer games grind rails. If you could think of a new gimmick that fits with those that would give you game something unique.

The crab looks great I wanna see the 180 movement!

Thanks Overbound! There will be sections in the end of act two maybe, and then later zones that may require it. Besides, the spindash wasn't really nessecary. The Super Peelout wasn't really nessecary. I may think about a gamewide gimmick however.

The eyes are the green thing on its chest. It is sorta SMG inspired. =P

The spin dash is required for a few gimmicks. But necessary may be the wrong work useful might be a better word.

I agree with Sparks on the eyes they really don't look like eyes.

He needs more of a face and eyes that look like eyes .

a%20face.png

Ohh I kinda liked how that turned out I'd use it myself if I you didn't make most of it XD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made it.

This is the SAGE website for Sonic Genesis, lovingly and helpfully crafted by Overbound. Massive thanks to him.

I'm posting this now because I don't want to be lost in the confusion of SAGE; people will want to play my game first because it's the only game they can play! =P

The download link is on the website btw. =)

Tested

You made a massive badnick spam, I like it : D and I love the bouncing badnick, its a bit challenging.

The game is in beta stage so you still can add and improve a lot of things, but the demo looks nice.

The only thing... when I finish the stage, the game closes with an error : /

A windows (7) one, not a Game maker one. Any idea ?

It wasn't a bad game toaster, However It felt very platform orientated and that Crab badnik that bounces you back I found quite annoying, especialy since it kept throwing me back every single time I collided with it and made every speed section seem slower than it appeared. Other than that is was alright to play. I especially liked the boss with it's simplicity. Not many fan games have bosses in them while being in Demo stage. Also with the ability, I never seemed to get the quick step to work, maybe it's my poor of an excuse wireless keyboard.

Also the booth was quite well presented, simplistic look but easy to distinguish what's what.

I'll look forward for future development on the game :3.