A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

It's time to drop a little bomb

The Taxman

Hey gang, I wasn't going to make this public for a little while, but given SEGA's latest blog post, and their upcoming discussions on wednesday it's time for some guerilla marketing!

Recently, I've been in contact with SEGA in regards to doing an enhanced port of Sonic CD for the iPhone. I put together a proof of concept demo and video demonstrating the game fully functional on Apple's iDevice

http://www.christianwhitehead.com/soniccd/view.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teDIp32mXI

The question is, do YOU want it? Let SEGA know. This is more than just one of their crappy emulator ports, we're talking iPhone exclusive enhancements and features (I've got some cool plans)

Discuss

Iphone? Why not something people actually use, like WiiWare or Xbox Arcade?

Or in my case, Steam... (add achievements and I'm sold) >_>

OT: Even though I have no iPhone, I support any attempt from community members to try and expand, so I can give you that much. I've sent the video to Kotaku, maybe they'll put it online if they have a slow news day (it's not like haven't ever put less interesting news).

Ssssshhhhh.... ;)

Nah, I'm not just being a killjoy. This is seriously something that Wii and 360 owners have been demanding since the day the Sonic 1 ports came out on their Arcades. Hell, just PLAIN Sonic CD is. An Enhanced version would make people's heads explode. Most die-hard Sonic fans won't even get to play it on the iPhone, anyway, which would be a huge let down for them. I really support this, but can't it be on something that more than 1% of the population could play, or at least both?

I don't have an iPhone and don't see myself owning one in the next 5 years, but it's cool that you have this opportunity, so I'm all for it. The controls looks pretty spot on and it looks fun. The entire video was super-pro and you sound pimp as shit

Also, since someone else brought up The Polites, do you all have a CD or something anywhere? I haven't actually heard anything, I missed that part of SAGE last year.

I would love to see the Retro Engine on the official sega re-release. Before, I was looking for an official port of sonic cd, but now that you reveal this, I'm actually going to accept nothing less than this version!

Of course....you know how sega rolls. "By signing this, you agree that the current and all subsequent versions of the retro engine are properties of sega enterprises. You will not produce and /or redistribute the engine etc etc." And then Sega releases the game, and taxmans name is like miniscule in the credits.

Tax, make sure your name and the sonic retro engine is like first on the credits in all the programming catogories!

A couple of small changes that would be cool.

-You'd have control of the soundtracks being region free..

-You could use the high quality intro movie and ending sequence, rather than the crappy low quality one on the sega cd and computer. (Which sega would've probably used....)

-I don't think sega would accept anything less than an authentic re-creation if it isn't going to be a port. So hidden fan-made levels definetely aren't feasible. But please change something miniscule that will separate the Retro-Sonic CD from the original, like a small tile change somewhere.

Quite a lot to be honest, it owes much to my many years as a Sonic fan. If you go to http://www.sonicretro.org/ you'll see a community that's very interested in dissecting the original games. That's why the demo was made in a short time, I know Sonic inside out, and so have a very clear understanding as to how it can be recreated.

Very impressive. That sounds like an answer I'd expect form someone on Sonic Team heading a new game, rather than what is typically said. Congrats again.