A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Sonic Knockout: DEMO 5

Vexus

This is also my own fault too for not adding an in-depth documentation like I did with the last demos. Anyway, all votes have been for the forced tutorial so I'll work on it when I'm able.

Knuckles, being a more speedy variety of Power character, can charge up the finishing moves of his basic combos for extra damage (that would be the light and heavy combo). Just hold on to that last button press to charge.

Slower Power characters don't do this because they won't need to, meaning (when they become playable) Rouge will be able to charge her finishers but Omega will not.

Anyway, i like both gameplay style from demo v3.3 and the demo v4.

The v 3.3 is more focusing in blocking and counter attack, so its need technique. The v 4 is more focusing in air combo and fast gameplay.

I think you should combine it, or more counter attacking for tech chars.

And the air combo is very coool:tgrin: and make the game play very solid, the combo is way better than you first game even though its a good game.

But when you were knocked in air even though you hit the wall, you still spin around if you dont tap 1 & 2, its very annoying the AI will air combo you until you dead. Is this bug? Because if you knocked and hit the wall in the ground you will knocked up into the air, not spining around.

The only AI bug that's getting to my nerves is that the CPU will push you to the edge of the map and will keep hitting you.. You can't even recover if it doesn't decide to do an air combo...It gets really annoying especially when you fight 2 on 1 at Mission 03...

And please don't say that "it's not a glitch but it's a feature" :D

Let's not forget that doing an air combo on the Hard CPU is near impossible since they recover so damn fast... I could understand if it happened once in 10 times but it happens nearly EVERY FREAKING TIME!...*ahem*

I hate to miss my air combos against a mere CPU... Of course I found a workaround for that... If I miss the 2nd attack, I charge the 3rd one and it always hits... Then again it is a little hard to come up with that tech...

And one question.. How the hell a CPU can block Sonic's 3rd light attack.. Is there an opening in the 2nd attack so that the CPU can block?...

But the relentlessness is an AI feature...

Joking. The AI and difficulty coding is always a work in progress, due to problems like you've mentioned above. I want to get rid of instances where the computer has the reaction time to perform feats that people cannot.

I'll work on that after I've sorted out the other things on my list.

I never really thought of picking a favourite character... but on the spot I would pick Knuckles since he punishes people who don't block, or Sonic because of his speed.

I could work with having a Spin Dash move replace the Sonic Slide (Dash then Atk2), other than that I can't see it fit in well.

Hahaha

I learned that Knuckles really punishes if you don't block at my 3rd Hard mode fight... He just... Took half of my health...And after that did a Chaos Attack on me... I was.. speechless...

Then I learned to block more often and to hold the damn blocking button until he finishes his move instead of just trying to counter him...

Oh and there is a little bug that I noticed.. I happens only in Hard mode I guess..

When the CPU does a Chaos Attack on you, they wait 'till the last moment and then "The Game" says Failure but when the Chaos Attack Gauge goes down to move off screen it says Success again but the damage and animation is a Failure one...

I'll try to get a picture if I can

P.S. I already lost so no problem for me :D

Yes, i got that glitch too. How do you block in the new demo? I only use RECOVERY and COUNTER in the new demo. I like using Sonic too, his speed is awesome.:ssmile:

The tails colisseum glitch is the AI will stuck above the arena if they jump too much, especially Tails. The route 99 glitch is the AI will jump like crazy to go up but they cant, if you were in upper right or left platform.

@iki77:Holding down is the block

WARNING! HUGE SCREEN SHOTS!!

Player 1 : Sonic (ME)

Player 2 : Knuckles (HARD CPU)

Stage : Sunset Hill

Notice the Chaos Attack timer

At first I was like:

Failure.jpg

But then I:

Success.jpg

What the..

OMG THE CPU CHEATS!! I knew it all along :D

Sorry for the full AND widescreen :D

Did the CPU managed to do it in the last possible milisecond?

Yes, please turn the sliding kick to spin dash. Sonic spin is his signature.

Do you have plans to add Emerald the last boss from your previous game to SSK? I like his fighting style

Its not that I don't appreciate your work, I just want to help you by giving comment and opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

@sayi50: I've managed to fix that glitch.

@iki77: I have some ideas for Emerald. One thing is clear though, the character will need alot of work.

I'm here to finally make a new update... with screenshots!

battle08.jpgbattle09.jpg

I've managed to finish and debug the Twinkle Snow arena. This time, you can break the bridge with a well-place Slam Combo. For more news, be sure to go to the SSK website/blog thing.

@sayi50: I've managed to fix that glitch.

@iki77: I have some ideas for Emerald. One thing is clear though, the character will need alot of work.

I'm here to finally make a new update... with screenshots!

[qimg]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8007/battle08.jpg[/qimg] [qimg]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4773/battle09.jpg[/qimg]

I've managed to finish and debug the Twinkle Snow arena. This time, you can break the bridge with a well-place Slam Combo. For more news, be sure to go to the SSK website/blog thing.

Yay, An Ice level at last. Awesome!

Yay, a 2VS1 mode, maybe you also have made 3vs1, 2vs2 with AI partner, and maybe 4 characters fight each other like in Sonic Battle!!!!!!!

That will be awesome. How about Survival mode where enemys just jump out and attack you and there's levels.. so the higher the level, the harder the enemys.

Looks like you guys noticed what my next update will probably be about. There will be more detail on the subject once the system in place has been properly bug tested.

@segasonicfan4life

Whats a fighting game without some kind of Survival Mode?

@Felik the velik

In the older version of the game (3.3) waypoints were being used. This demo has the movement without them. A.I movement is based on the position of the CPU, the nearest target, and immediate obstacles. I could tailor the A.I code to follow waypoints in more complex situations though.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I managed to get a new update for you all. Some of you know what I'm gonna be talking about this update (See the full article here!):

menu06l.jpg

In other news, tests with trying to make the attacks faster have fallen flat, and some moves are now failing to work properly. Seeing as there are also plenty of people who do not mind the attack speed as it is, the attack speed is going to remain the same.

• 3 months later...

The project hasn't died!

There's a new blog post up on the Website, to celebrate 365 days of working on the new code of SSK. Click the link to see the whole post, but here is the stuff you want to know:

Thanks to all the feedback and fresh-testers I've managed to get, the game is almost completely glitch-free. A new tutorial is almost completed to give first-players a showing of every player action, the A.I of characters and badniks have been refined, various actions are now easier (like wall-jumping)... oh, and the new VS Mode.

So, I ask this. Apart from a new demo, what do you want to be the first new thing you see from SSK? A video? Some artwork? Screenshots? Anything within reason.

Comments here or on the site will be read, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning videos, I managed to get some screen capture tests done on a more powerful computer, so I can actually create some new footage for gameplay videos. I've also decided to post up some soundtrack videos on YouTube after I get the next gameplay video done.

Also, I fixed the RSS feed for the SSK website a few days ago. If you want to be updated first, set yourself up to the feed and I'll try getting more blog posts in.

The deal is that on Jan 1st 2009 I decided to pack up the current code and start the code completely from scratch, using new things I learned and a proper list of things I wanted to improve/add into the game at step 1 (rather than building on the shaky foundation that was the Demo 1 code, which started causing several issues).

Demo 4's creation took 7 months from start to finish, and thats why Rouge and Omega were not in Demo 4.