A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Sonic Knockout: DEMO 5

Vexus

logohover.png
Click the shiny logo... you know you want to...

It's been far too long since I last updated anywhere other than the Sonic Cage Dome (older updates are here).
This seems the right time to get back into it.

For those who can't remember, Super Sonic Knockout has been the single outgoing project of mine being made with Game Maker 8. Unlike other Sonic games, this one brings an experience like no other, blending platforming and some of that signature Sonic style to the fighting genre.

Screenshots:
battle01.th.jpg battle02.th.jpg training01.th.jpg battle03.th.jpg

thumb_game05.gif
DOWNLOAD DEMO 5!

New Features

• Major gameplay changes, including Free Aerial Combos and Throws for everyone;
  • The all new Nonstop Mode! Fight to survive in a never-ending struggle;
  • All the features from previous demos have been revived and revamped;
  • Features music by DJ EAR, including brand new and remastered tracks;
  • 3 new stages: Starlight City, Hidden Palace and Sky Canyon;
  • A revised Tutorial that explains all the game mechanics;
  • Omega, Rouge and Amy are back, with revised moves;
  • 2 Brand New characters: Cream and Chaos-0;
  • Loads of bug-fixes;
Edited by Vexus

20/07/2009

Only 5 days to go! I've been fixing bugs and glitches for 2 days now. I managed to fix one fatal error too. I did find the time to get some new bits in though...

I finished the Credits screen and given players the opportunity to either continue their last save or begin a new one when they start the game (There is an auto-save function in the game too, you can turn that on and off). Down-jumping has also been simplified.

Also, there are 2 new articles on the website since the Saturday. Go check them out HERE.

I held off yesterday's update so I could come back with something for you guys to look at today.

23/07/2009

I've updated the ARENAS webpage today with 4 brand new screenshots paired side-by-side to their older counterparts.

The Chaos Attack animations for all 5 playable characters are finished too. You'll see how good they look in 2 days, I'm still on track for SAGE.

Wow, last time I played Super Sonic Knockout was SAGE 07, I didn't really expect to see this resurface. If I may though, splitscreen may be more trouble than its worth in a game like this... can you just set the camera to zoom out if the players are offscreen? It works very well for Super Smash Bros, if its doable, I don't see where it would hurt here.

I have experimented with that camera style on various occasions, even recently when I first started the new engine. I decided against it.

Even though the Smash Bros method would supply the advantage of never having to draw anything twice on the screen (leading to a more consistent frame-rate), I have always run into some kind of major graphical problem like misaligned tiles and stretched backgrounds. The HUD and some special effects would also suffer dearly, so in the end I let go of the idea because it made the game look ugly.

I will deny you no longer. You've been waiting far too long for something new!

thumbgame04.gif

- = SUPER SONIC KNOCKOUT: DEMO 4 = -

Resolution: 320x240. Resolution, full-screen & colour changeable.

Players: 1-2 Players.

File size: 9.41MB.

Features

• The game now runs at a smooth 60fps;
  • The entire game redone from the ground up!
  • New TRAINING and TAG TEAM modes!
  • Medals! Beat story stages, missions, and find them levels;
  • Play as 5 characters, each with new skills and revised competitive balance;
  • Air combos, throws, and chargeable attacks make their SSK debut!
  • 6 completed stages to battle in. Some a revised versions and some are brand new!
  • 3 slot save function with optional auto-save;
  • Now its much easier to customize your controls;
  • Completely redone AI, as well as the addition of 3 difficulty settings;
  • And many smaller additions and revisions!

It also looks like there might be one thing missing. That would be the cutscene for Story Stage 3. Oh well, please stay tuned to see if I release an updated demo some time in the future!

I get that sometimes and I blame imageshack... I'll add a text link as well for those cases.

---

I've been getting some great feedback from this demo. Thanks to you guys and others, I've been made aware of various glitches (usually sound) and good ideas. Please continue to bring on any complaints and suggestions as they help me out more than praise.

I haven't been working on the game as much now the demo has been released. I'm deciding what content will be released for the next demo (chances are the priority will be adding what what Demo 3 had but this demo didn't).

There are more updates The website, including a list of how to get all the emblems in Demo 4 (it's not cheating).

• 3 weeks later...

Its very difficult to control Sonic in stage level, he is too fast. It makes him fall in small platform, because of his unreasonable speed (he is faster than Sonic in SEGA games). The purple badniks is very very annoying, his shoots the gun and the bomb like a combo. But i still like the game play, i hope the characters from the previous demo wont be abandoned and maybe add Silver and Blaze too. And waiting for playing as Volcan, his very cool and my favorite character in this game. There are 3 story mode, one for Sonic and friends, Volcan and friends and who is the third one. Cool wallpapers!!! This game is the best sonic fangame 5 stars of 5 stars!!!!!!!!!

The purple pawns will not be that annoying in future releases. They will be split into 2 different pawns. Type 1 will shoot at a constant pace and run if you get close. Type 2 will always remain still and just throw bombs (which will be blockable on easy mode).

Due to some complaints from various people about attack speed, I'm working on making all attacks 1.5 times as fast. I've already fixed up some attacks too (Sonic's air action & Gemerl's chaos attack).

After that, I'll be working on remaking the VS Match gameflow. You'll be able to pick how many players are fighting (2-4 fighters), their team (free-for-all, 2-on-2, or 3-on-1), and their controls (computer or human, maximum of 2 human players).

Features from Demo 3 (emblem gallery, missing stages and characters etc) will make it back into the next demo.

3 on 1.. 2 on 1... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLL YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Even on the Hard mode the game feels easy.. and now I'll have some fun.. I'm bored to play Mission 3 over and over again... None of my friends wants to play against me and I'm bored..

I don't think that you should change the purple bots.. I mean they have their... their... nerve?? I mean come on, if you take those attacks apart then the game won't have a challenge... For now that is :D

I totally like the idea that when a player has low health the song changes a little bit.. I loved it..

And Sonic's speed is good enough too.. Not too fast, not too slow it's perfect.

And can you include a Very Hard mode or something?.. Hard mode is... Easy.

Anyways these are just my opinion...

The new attack speed of characters is just slightly slower than the attack speed in Mecha Madness, which is the best comparison you can find right now. I've still got some things to fix because changing the animation speed from 1/4 to 1/3 is making some things not work. I'll sort it out in time though.

One more thing. Do you guys think I should force the tutorial stage on people starting the Story for the first time? (like Sonic Heroes). It will stop some people going straight into Stage 1 and probably getting their asses whooped.

Maybe put the tutorial in Story Mode to unlock the Hero Side.And to make it easier fighting the purple one, maybe give each chars a special attack based in Sonic Battle. Power type get power move, tech type get

bomb move and the speed type get the other move.The Chaos Attack should have 2 chances or the damage based on the gauge, its very difficult to make a success. Volcan's sprite is very good, who made it?

@iki77

There are moves that certain types are usually affilated to (Speed: wall-jumping, Power: charged attacks, Tech: traps)

Volcan's idle sprite were made by me, than passed to JoeTE, than back to me for fine-tuning. More sprites still have to be done, and that job has been passed on another spriter Katanga when he has time to spare.

@Leon

The games may be similar but there are some major differences, including the platform (GM and MMF), design process and overall gameplay. I like Mecha Madness too much as it is anyway.

For now I think the attack speed is perfect in the SAGE2009 demo... But ofcourse I never say no to more speed :D

Yes force the Tutorial stage so when people get their asses whooped they won't go saying "this game sucks" or "how the hell do I play?"...

Forcing the Tutorial stage makes it so when the player dies the blame is on him not on the game :D