A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Sonic Knockout: DEMO 5

Vexus

This week, I've been busy sorting out some comic work and some more of Story Mode, so this update I'm going to release a video of the cutscene I've been teasing for the past two weeks:

In other news, I'm also going to Summer of Sonic next week. I'm going to be bringing a laptop and a beta of Demo 5 in the hopes of getting some face-to-face feedback from people. If you're coming and you want to give it a go, you can go to the blog post to see what I look like so you can find me.

The full blog-post can be seen here!

@Unlimited Chaos:

I'll most likely be working on an original project. Chances are I'll be working on several small original games while this continues being built.

@Hybrid35

Thanks for the comment. I like making them, even though debugging them to make sure they work properly is an absolute nightmare.

I probably understand what you mean in terms of cut-scene development. It is defiantly long and tedious but rewarding when you see it all fall into place and that people like it. I guess the same principal applies to fan-gaming in general really. It's all to impress. SSK does that xD.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a short recap of the past 2 weeks:

2 weeks ago I attended the Summer of Sonic convention, and I got to show and play a beta of the new demo with a bunch of people, getting their feedback and making tweaks. At this point, there were only 2 major additions left that I wanted to add before I could confidently release Demo 5. Since I didn't have much to show that week, I added some more up-to-date screenshots to the site's Arena's page.

You can click here to go to the ARENAS page.

This week I've started some proper progress on one of those 2 major points. I can't show you much without spoiling it though, I'd rather tell you all about it when it's finished. So here is a teaser. Can you tell what it means?

Progress15.png

Click for Sunday Special #15

Click for Sunday Special #16

Since you mentioned (on the SSK site) that it isn't Arcade Mode, it is difficult to guess what it could be.

Now, because it shows the screen of only one player, we can count Multiplayer out...

My honest guess would have to be some kind of Challenge Mode. Ya'know, like in Sonic Battle? Where you would have to go through a handful of opponents to beat it, and you would get a Rank and Time, and you would always try to get a better time.

If it isn't, awell, I tried my best.

The cutscene is great and is flawlessly performed, and it definately gets your blood pumping to fight against the ol' knucklehead. Nice job.

• 2 weeks later...
Survival mode without recharge

I dunno why but this comment made me think on horde modes...

Make a horde mode, NOW.

Imagine the goodness, a bunch of robots coming in each round, after 10 rounds, you fight against some character (B-B-B-Boss Time)

• 2 weeks later...

@P3DRO: Interesting ideas still keep coming! I'll keep that in mind.

@DukeZ: I'm taking it you mean do something like the Lv1, 2 & 3 Supers seen in some Street Fighter games. I don't think this will work out for the game.

---

For the past 2 weeks I have been doing smaller things like bug-fixing, and also trying to get progress moving with the game's resident fan-character: Volcan.

Last week I asked for another sprite artist on the blogsite, due to having to lose 2 sprite artists who had to move on. Thankfully, blog-site regular 'Green' has taken up the mantle, and has done an impressive job so far.

Progress19.png

Click here for the Sunday Special #19 post.

Click here for the Sunday Special #18 post.

Not just the left pose. Volcan need a lot of work into it. It still has that feeling "I'm just an overpower fancharacter", he needs to be more natural and not just an Shadow's head, Sonic's Shoe and Tails' Tail... Oh, and a cape who doesn't look like a cape. :S

One of the challenges I set myself was to include a character of my own design. Basically, someone who's gameplay style differed somewhat from the other characters. Good things he's a work in progress.

Oh, and it's a scarf, not a cape. But I guess that isn't so clear in sprite form (I'll have to work on that).