A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic XG and stuffs, hurrah?

Sir Euan

Hello there. Me and Mr Nitemare have been working on a little game called Sonic XG! The idea is that this game will pick up where Sonic (3) & Knuckles left off, and continue the story in lovely old skool style. Anyways, heres some pics of the title screen, and 2nd and 3rd zones (peak panic screens are mockups, But the game will look just like that)No pics of the first zone, as tis a magical surprise =O, shh!

title.gifxg2.png

xg3.pngpeakpanic2006.gif

peakpanic20062.gif

Also, after much chopping and changing on my part I've finally got the zones down to the final run through, casualties are Hydro Haven, Carnival Chaos, Magma Mountain, Secret Shrine and Super Structure. People I talk to on aim and such might recognise some of those.

Anyways, heres the zone list, with the surprise and final/hidden zone all secrety!

zonescensor.png

Dunno when we'll have a demo and stuff, but I guess since we're doing well on Final Fall just now, and Peak Panic is starting to shape up quite well, sometime this year isn't too unlikely =P

EDIT:

Was fooling around and made a brand new title screen (art adorning my signature), please check it out if you would be so kind!

http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXG2005/SXG_TITLESCREENTEST2006.zip

• Like 1

Why would you name the second level "Final" anything?

Final Fall: Set on the floating island, all seems peaceful. Then oh bugger! Here comes the death egg's ruins, crashes and explodes into the island, destroys it and sends it on it's "final fall" to the ocean below, no coming back this time. And you get to play it while it's falling apart in act 2, complete with awesome sky and island wizzing by you bacground.

Why would you name the second level "Final" anything?

Simply because he can.

Euan: like I said on aim; beautiful. Something about sonics jumping sprite makes it look at home too. >_>

Enginey update: Just so you know more is going on that just looking a bit sexy thanks to Euan, I thought i'd add some stuff from the current going-ons in the XG engine.

xge1.pngxge2.png

xge3.pngxge4.png

xge5.png

Also, a video of it as I don't think many people have actually seen it running yet. Characters and the gravity change a bit suddenly as I was using debug, ignore that. ;P

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a149/jwaters1989/?action=view&current=SonicXGavi.flv

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It could be something like Frantic Fall, French Fall, Frosty Fall, Fat Fall...

Or Fall Fall. It's probably named "Final Fall" because of:

a) The Death Egg getting finally destroyed

B) The Angel Island falling and won't be able to fly again :o

Or Fall Fall. It's probably named "Final Fall" because of:

a) The Death Egg getting finally destroyed

B) The Angel Island falling and won't be able to fly again :o

Thankyou, you put it more simply than I did! My way with words is poor, and English is even my first language, shame on me!

Sage, if you think it can be called something like fat or frantic fall you're kinda missing the whole point of the zone.

Man, I love how the gravity effects the monitors too. Making it look like there's platforms in the background is a pretty sweet effect too.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to record yourself playing? I tried several programs and experienced slow results.

MMF.

(extra10char)

Sweet, didn't know it could pull off something like this (yay, I have MMF, I'm so using it for my next project).

The game doesn't slow down down even for a second, anyone who has played the SA:R demo will see that despite the game kicking ass there is some major slowdown. I'm guessing MMF doesn't suffer from this.

360 Tubes.

Corkscrews

SADV3-Esque Rotating Platforms

Inverted Gravity

I think you need to start posting tutorials you multi-talented man you :o

-

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a149/jwaters1989/?action=view&current=SonicXGavi.flv

Watch me totally copy you and release an engine test behind your back :D