A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Co-op mode

Felik

The level design is good, although it would be nice if you would take advantage of Knuckles's ability to glide/climb for potential alternative paths. This way, the level looks like it would play completely the same, regardless of the character.

Oh, and I love the throwable enemies.

The music is from Shadow the Hedgehog called Lost Impact; it was actually the one song I liked from the game so I recognized it right away.

Anyway, the level seems great and appeared to be quite fun, though I noticed something that really irked me. You used that pull down/up gimmick way too much! It seemed like every time you were thrown to another section of the level, you had another one of those things to grab. It's a nice gimmick, but as is true with anything, you should be careful not to overuse them.

The scenery was down-right lovely though. =]

@cyber Rat: I thought the same about paths for Knuckles, but I figured Felik may have been holding off showing every single path you could take.

Wow thanks for the good comments!

@Blue Emerald: don't feel upset. Actually I am a bad spriter (much worse than you anyway), so I just tried many SNES and GBA games so I have some cool ones I can take graphics from. I wouldn't like to name them though but I'd suggest you (and anybody else who is making fangames) to try many SNES games - some of them have beautiful and detailed graphics (even if gameplay is really crappy).

@Cyber Rat & LarkSS: Sure the level (and game in general) have special paths for climbing/flying/whatever characters.You can notice one of them at 2:39.

And what about pull down/up gimmick, yea I agree I used it a little bit too much but I tried to use it in different situations and to make it serve for different purposes (not only for lifting but also for puzzle tasks).

@DJGameFreakTheIguana: I don't like Sonic level tracks with lyrics very much (Of course City escape is exception) so I decided to use this one.

P.S. One of the badniks is from Megaman ZX :)

P.P.S. I am really glad that nobody is bitching about Sonic advance sprites because I like them and I'm going to continue using them.

Usually people bitch about Advance-style because EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER is using it. It kind of conveys the message "I am lazy so I just ripped a coupla sprites". This is obviously not the case here, but I did cringe a little out of reflex when I saw the sprites for the first time. Then again, if you can't sprite, there's really virtually no choice, since Genesis-style sonic can only run and jump and spin.

On topic, I was really impressed by the level design. Keep it up!

"I am lazy so I just ripped a coupla sprites".

And the message that this quote conveys to me is "Hi, my name is Mogget and I'm a douchebag." Who died and made you fangame captain?

Felik, I've featured this level at the two places where I blog. People really like this level, especially me. I've always liked your game, because it's an Advanced-styled game with original level graphics. Flooded Capital is stunning.

Actually I feel a bit guily when you say that my game has totally original graphics.

Sparkling complex' graphics were indeed totally original and custom but most of the graphics for Flooded capital I took from other (nonsonic) games.

Of course I had to search for them, rip them and rearrange them by myself. But I didn't make these (Flooded capital's) tiles and bg by myself. I only properly ported them to my fangame.

For example this background was a static picture without any signs of parallax so i had to split it into pieces and recreate as multileveled background (and I must admit it was a real pain in ass because it has water trembling and small waterfalls)

And thanks for blogging about my game, Slingerland. My game is sorta unfamous and needs a small boost in popularity.

P.S. Someone pleeeease remove "the Velik" thing from my nickname. It is unneeded and confusing.

Edit: WHOA!!! At last somebody removed this stupid and meaningless "the Velik" thing! Whoever you are I LOVE YOU!!!

Oh, right, I forgot the crab robot was from ZX.

Also, about the background, don't sweat it, the fact that you actually took the effort to make it look good is enough, and the sources are... Unusual, to say the least. Finding tiled backgrounds and foregrounds in general is a massive pain in the ass for anything other than Sonic, and perhaps the stuff one finds on Sprites Inc.

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my post, I didn't mean to sound like that. That's what I get for being half-asleep when posting.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that because of reasons well explained by Overbound's sig, advance-style has managed to get itself a bad reputation of sorts, at least for me. It's like a shop's front window(or a book's cover): you'll be inclined to judge the whole thing at first glance. I wasn't trying to complain about the sprites(I guess I did though), but explain why they are complained about. And, as I said in my last post, there's virtually no choice anyway for people who can't make their own sprites. So, again, sorry for that.

(tl;dr: HAHAHA DISREGARD MY LAST POST I SUCK COCKS)

Whoa holy shit Felik... I never thought you had it in you. You've proven me wrong.

I will go ahead and point out though that you need to work harder at keeping the stage unique throughout. Both of your levels come off as a bit samey with no uniquely identifiable areas. You can improve this quality through simple things like landmarks or by having the occasional chamber with a unique gimmick.

DW: I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by "chambers" (ex. the consecutive series of spinning spiked balls and U-ramps in Spring Yard, or the tunnel with the poles and the strong current from Labyrinth Zone), but I'm confused as to what you mean by "landmarks." That might be helpful for me as well if you clarified that, as I too am striving toward making great levels.

I guess that landmarks mean unique places (or gimmicks) that can be seen only once in the level.

For example gravitational chamber in deaht egg act 1 where you should hit bumpers to go further or moving wall in the beginning of hydrocity act 2 or snowboard area in the ice cap.

I'll try to include these thingies. I was just lazy cos landmarks need more time to work on them then ordinary gimmick.

P.S. woohoo! 500 posts!

• 1 month later...

There is an update for ya!

I've desided to revise characters' abilities before starting to make another characters. We all know that Shadow's and Sonic's special abilities were pretty useless cos they were too slow or uneffective. So I've entirely redone them. I also improved visual part of all of the abilities (including Knux). Now abilities are real eyecandy. So enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Here is a major update for ya!

Have you ever wanted to kick your friend's ass is a Sonic game or just have some fun racing another person? Sega doesn't make any sort of on-line play in their games at all (All-star racing doesn't count).

Fully functional multi-player modes will be available in th next demo of Sonic Fusion.