A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Co-op mode

Felik

I'd like to show you a new demo of SF.

This demo features various improvments and changes. Also it introduces you Shadow the hedgehog as playable character.

It's a bit unfinished and short. Trere will be a full demo at SAGE.

http://sonicfusion.ucoz.ru/_ld/0/9_April2009demo.rar

Feel free to bug report and propose, I would really appreciate it.

screenshotswon.png

I'd like to show you a new demo of SF.

This demo features various improvments and changes. Also it introduces you Shadow the hedgehog as playable character.

Erm... yay?!

Jk, the demo was cool

But I do have one small critisizm...

3422130257_dcc50457b0_o.jpg

Played it, and I have some criticism/suggestions.

I played the game as Sonic and Shadow, and although I have to give you props for trying to make the gameplay more interesting, the attacks really seem kind of useless. Not once in the demo did I actually feel like I needed to use one of the energy blasts instead of just jumping into the enemy. Some of them take so long to use compared to jumping as well. Sonic games work perfectly well with jumping and rolling alone, so if you're going to add different attacks and powers, they should be useful rather than superfluous (homing attack is excluded from this, I found the homing attack useful).

Another issue of mine is the way the homing attack is programmed - rather than adding to your speed, it sets your speed to a certain amount. As a result, if I'm already going really fast in the air, home-attacking again will slow my speed significantly. It's an easy fix, but I think it's a necessary one.

My other complaint is the Mega Man graphics. In my opinion, they just don't fit very well. I'm not a fan of the music either. This game doesn't feel like a Sonic game as much as previous demos of Sonic Fusion. It's up to you if you want to keep these of course, but to me there's just something distinctly not Sonic about them.

I really enjoyed previous demos of Sonic Fusion (this too, but old ones moreso), but I still see a lot of potential for this level. I hope you take my criticism and suggestions into consideration. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will evolve by SAGE.

Thank you very much for your criticizm. Let me explain some aspects.

I know that superabilities indeed look kinda superflous. I'm going to add areas with lots of enemies, enemies that can be defeated by using such abilities and maybe some ability-specific gimmicks. Plus I'm going to expand my scoring system. You'll only gain high scores by using different abilities.

Scoring will not be needed only to show off. I'm gonna add usefullness to scoring system in the final version.

Also I think these abilities will actually be really useful in multiplayer (yes I'm going to realize it)

What about homing attack. I will leave it as it is. That's for balance of characters. Knuckles is slower then Sonic & Shadow but you should be able to beat faster than they can.

I actually like megaman X graphics. I think they fit to advance style quite well. Also not every level will use them. Actually this level is the only one that uses megaman graphics yet.

In this year's SAGE demo there will be 5 levels including two brand new levels.

Also currently I'm replacing all of the Eggpawns with other enemies.

I finally realized that you were right, they suck :)

What about homing attack. I will leave it as it is. That's for balance of characters. Knuckles is slower then Sonic & Shadow but you should be able to beat faster than they can.

Alright, that's understandable. I actually wasn't sure if you were even aware of it, which was the reason why I brought it up.

As for the graphics, I think the background is fine, but it's actually the ground pieces that seems not very sonic-esque. You'll never find plain dirt ground in a 2D Sonic game, I guarantee. But again, it's entirely up to you.

Like I said before, I'm looking forward to this. I really enjoyed past SAGE demos, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new gameplay vid of Sparkling complex. I have made many changes to this level. I've replaced eggpawns and removed those blood spikeballs. Enjoy!

P.S. You may think that Knuckles is slown in this video. That's not quite right. My PC is just to weak to play and record video so there was a major slowdown. This video should have lasted about a minute and 40 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

The game is coming out very nicely. I even chuckled when I saw Knuckles toss the enemy out of his path. He shouldn't be confined to such a slow speed though. I mean, it's like he forgot to run... or wear the right shoes.

And yes, I'm making that comment fully aware that the fps is not up to speed.

LoL wut?

"Join Date: Nov 2006"

"Posts: 1"

How come?

Welcome then... I guess XD

Yeah, I lurk from time to time. If you remember the Ye'Ol Moogle Cavern. I was/am Falcon The Echidna. I worked on some stuff with Manic Team. Seeing what people are up to these days is my new past time. I still mess in CnC and MMF1.5 though, and I might complete a game that just has a series of levels with objectives. No story, just good times. Skip the jibber jabber and get to the good stuff. Gadgets, guns, and gore. Topped off with a soundtrack that one could do a number of deviant things to. :)

The game is coming out very nicely. I even chuckled when I saw Knuckles toss the enemy out of his path. He shouldn't be confined to such a slow speed though. I mean, it's like he forgot to run... or wear the right shoes.

And yes, I'm making that comment fully aware that the fps is not up to speed.

Why not? In Sonic Rush Blaze is slower then Sonic but she can do better midair moves.

I'm going to realize the same thing, that's why there are a lot of shortcuts for climbing/flying/whatever characters.

Well he's just....too slow? You should either make the speed panels and stuff throw him out faster than his normal run speed or just...give him some sort of "faster" moving animation when he's at top speed; it would make things at least feel better.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks! I haven't shown any development progress recently (for about 3 month). That happened because I don't want to show any unfinished work.

So I've finished a level recently and I would like to show a gameplay video of it.

So meet the Flooded Capital! (name is discussable though)

I am simply amazed! Fantastic sprites, great music selection, neat new Badniks, and one heck of a level layout! Dang, I wish I could make levels as well as you.

I absolutely loved those three Badniks, too; the combination of their unique designs and attack patterns is astounding! Did you really make those yourself?

Awesome job so far. I can't wait to see how the rest of this game turns out. :)