A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

Well, I don't know about a video just yet; if this were being released for SAGE, I'd rather not spoil any of the level and make it easier for you all to beat. I'm hoping to have at least one act done for SAGE, judging by time constraints, programming, and spriting. Luckily, I can now get the programming done faster since I now have someone aiding me with that.

Currently still working on the new gimmick for Act 1.

Well, I don't know about a video just yet; if this were being released for SAGE, I'd rather not spoil any of the level and make it easier for you all to beat. I'm hoping to have at least one act done for SAGE, judging by time constraints, programming, and spriting. Luckily, I can now get the programming done faster since I now have someone aiding me with that.

Currently still working on the new gimmick for Act 1.

I see, no rush. Just as a suggestion, maybe you can construct a test run level. That way, you could show the present engine and gimmicks, but not revealing your level design before sage. I'm itching to see it in action. Either way, I can wait until sage. I'm doing the same thing as you, no revealing anything until the day comes :)

I see, no rush. Just as a suggestion, maybe you can construct a test run level. That way, you could show the present engine and gimmicks, but not revealing your level design before sage. I'm itching to see it in action. Either way, I can wait until sage. I'm doing the same thing as you, no revealing anything until the day comes :)
Oh God! That's a good idea, flame6753! I'm not revealing anything from my game until SAGE, but, I, we, everyone, might as well release small test levels demos to not spoil the fun and plus ease the curiosity.

Oh God! That's a good idea, flame6753! I'm not revealing anything from my game until SAGE, but, I, we, everyone, might as well release small test levels demos to not spoil the fun and plus ease the curiosity.
thanks lol. Of course its up to each individual programmer. I dont want to rush anyone into showing an engine before they think its perfect the way they want it.

Wow, this game has certainly been coming along. I haven't been around much since my computer is now dead (RIP 9 year old piece of crap dell) so I'm just trying to get the money to get a new computer happening again. Right now I'm just hijacking laptops in the house.

Anyway, I haven't seen much of this game as of late because of that and I can see you're definitely putting a lot of care and thought into this one =D. Good on you, this looks like it'll be a blast to play if you have something available for SAGE. If not then I'll play it whenever you've got a demo out =)

Nice title screen.

So, yeah, a sheet could likely work. Otherwise, if anyone knows where to find a non-Mode-7'd version of the clouds

attachment.php?attachmentid=1134&stc=1&d=1243118798

got them from the soniccd 510 beta, but I don't know if they're different in the final as they are not stretched.

post-361-138639763531_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks, Zenor. +Rep They look like the right clouds. As for giving them the Mode 7 effect, I'm sure that all I'd have to do is set the layers' heights to 1 or 2 when they're created, and then constantly increase the height and raise the Y position until they're out of the frame.

Also, I worked on dithering Sonic, as per ZFG's advice. This is my first time dithering anything, and I have to say it looks nice for my first try. It has way more of a 3D-ish look to it than it did before.

sonic4titlescreen-1.png

Also, to answer your question, FanGameRevolver, I chose to make the island shadow flicker because to my knowledge the Sega CD did not support actual transparency, and the game's graphical style is supposed to imitate the Sega CD.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or are his shoes way too small in comparison to the rest of his body? Even at that angle, I think the shoes should be bigger. Also, if I may make a suggestion, you should shade the shoes without dithering and give them some shine, to emphasise the difference in texture between Sonic's fur/skin/pines and his plastic-y shoes.

Other than that, looking good. :)

Also, to answer your question, FanGameRevolver, I chose to make the island shadow flicker because to my knowledge the Sega CD did not support actual transparency, and the game's graphical style is supposed to imitate the Sega CD.

even though the console did not have the technology to do it doesnt mean they couldnt have used another program to create a shaded sprite...(if i could see an animated .gif of the effect I would be fine but flickers are normally used for jet boosters, beams, and things that actually flicker. A flickering shadow seems really weird to me.)

Progress Report!

I can't believe it's already been a month since my last post here. Anyway, I figure it's time I give you both the good news and the bad news as to the progress of Sonic 4. Bad news is I've been on vacation for the past few weeks, and I've been stuck using a bad dial-up connection, which means I can't access information as fast as I'd like, which has indeed been a hindrance in the game's progress. In other words, a SAGE appearance is still up in the air.

The better news, however, is that I've still been hard at work on the game and making tweaks here and there to the Worlds engine. Here's what I've been able to accomplish on my own:

For starters, I'll show a minor tweak I've made to the Worlds engine. When traveling through loops in the original engine, the player never went behind the front half of the loop. As you can see, I've changed that.

sonic4loop.png

When it comes to most MMF-based Sonic fangames, Badniks have had a limited assortment of movements. Your standard Badnik can be seen moving back and forth in a straight line. Other standard MMF Badniks can be found floating or dashing around in midair. Aside from Sonic brawler Mecha Madness, with its solid physics programming, rarely has there been an MMF Sonic game where the Badniks have had complex movement patterns. Fortunately, with the help of LarkSS, I've been able to successfully implement gravity and slope detection in a ground-based Badnik.

sonic4enemyslopes.png

Of course, when dealing with platforms, the events I used for ground-based movement don't apply, as they only detect obstacles. Such is the shortcoming of MMF in comparison to more advanced engines such as RSDK, but I play with the hand I'm dealt, and MMF isn't really that horrible of a program. In the case of getting my Badnik to walk on an actve object, I was able to produce this:

sonic4enemyplatform.png

It isn't perfect, mind you, but I feel it serves its purpose well enough.

Finally, I'd like to introduce the new gimmick I've created for Summer Forest Zone -- the vine cable.

sonic4vinecable.png

Simply jump on this cable and you'll be cruisin' along until it reaches its destination. Jump off the cable, and it'll glide back to its original position. Note the new animation I created specifically for this gimmick. As soon as Sonic jumps on, he grips the vine and steadies himself on the platform as it slides along.

As you can see, the game has made fair progress. In fact, I'm beginning to learn more about the Worlds engine as I continue to work with it. Hopefully, I can get a demo going as soon as possible, so bear with me as I continue working on this game.

Peace, broskis! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news, bears. Sonic 4 will not be appearing in this year's SAGE. Two reasons as to why this is: 1) The tiles I was originally using to complete the level were getting cluttered and weren't looking too good. I'd decided to try creating better tiles so not only will the level layout look cleaner, but it should end up saving space, as well. 2) College just started for me yesterday. Expect it to eat up much of my time. I get one class per day over the span of four days a week. Each class will assign a decently-sized project that will be due in a week. But the bright side is that each class is 3-5 hours long, and I get Fridays off. But in the meantime, wish me luck: apparently, game design is a very stressful profession.

I'm sorry that I've let a lot of you down, but hopefully, I can keep the game moving and get a demo out at some time.

• 3 weeks later...