A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

tumblr_my1dzo6GPo1qlnz6fo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_my1dzo6GPo1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

Crappy google hangout sketches from last night. Started to kinda burn out on the 2nd page of doodles. I don't really do fanart or really like doing it all that often so this is kinda rare haha. Coloured in the Midna one just 'cause she is my fave Nintendo character.

• Like 2

Learning a program called tvpaint, would like to potentially make some wicked animations here and there. I haven't animated since 2011 so I'm rusty. The second thing there isn't really animated much tho, I am still figuring out the program and was testing some stuff out. The good stuff will come once I've familiarized myself with it.

And a new BDB villain:

tumblr_mya9gpeIkp1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg
Her first form she has legs and no arms. Her second form she turns into that strange bird demon thing with the claws in the back and loses her legs. She floats around in that form and devours humans/other demons.

• 2 weeks later...

motherboard_by_endshark-d71pa68.jpg

More characters...the Motherboard I already posted a more monstrous concept of. Some people have been assuming that these guys function as a unit to take over the world - hardly the case. There is one thing I wanted to avoid with this game which was a world domination plot, at least one in the sense of "mad scientist/villain trying to take over the world for their own gain!". Proxy wasn't created by some dude, and the motherboard isn't some evil dictator in disguise. She does go evil at the very beginning of the game but its not out of malicious intent.

I'll probably stop sharing character concepts unless they are town NPCs/characters you see at the beginning of the game though now. I don't want to spoil the entire surprise! Do expect to probably see some more HUD concepts and environment stuff though!

I'm really digging where this is going. Altough I've never been such a fan of the Moegaman Zero/ZX/ZXA art style some of these concepts are really original and I can't wait to see some of these cool ideas in motion.

Just wish there were more "tech" in those characters. I mean, Proxy looks like a girl wering Rouge's clothes after doing a ton of leg and byceps excercises in the gym. Would be cool if there were some actual thing related to "proxies" in her design. Motherboard could get some of those "slots" (where you put RAM, graphicboards and whatever) in her armor perhaps even a processor in her "heart" or a cooler.

I dunno, just thinking out loud, don't mind me. Keep it up, looks great.

Hey dude, don't be sorry about bringing those points up. They are valid! Unfortunately in the case of Proxy and the designs I just posted I won't be deviating too much to riddling them with extra details to fit the tech theme. While there is a lot of tech influence in the names and stuff, it doesn't take place 100% in a computer but in a planet that happens to share a lot of influence from what we consider tech. THAT SAID the enemies and even the mutated form of The Motherboard will have more tech details. A lot of it stems from the fact that I have to animate all these designs at the end of the day and so I opted for simple and clean for a lot of the 'normal' designs and then for bugs/viruses etc there will be more influence there because I won't need as much animation. Obviously there won't be a detail overload so it doesn't fit and all, but there will be more sort of mutated tech kinda vibes.

The environments too will carry a lot more tech influence as well, for example we're tossing around ideas for a fiber optic forest and a facility that has overheated with burning processors and broken fans haha! So there will be a lot more tech references down the road but they aren't gonna be on every design :). I guess the best way to kind of explain it is the Hyperdimension Neptunia sorta take on things applies a bit here. 

Thanks!

Oh baby, that is b00teful. I love the interface.

What are you planning for the graphics, btw? Pixel art? Hand painted drawings like Rayman Legends/Origins?

Because I must say, altough I love pixel art, seeing just how much detail you could get into that simple sketch, seems a waste to not invest in some high quality assets with digital painting.

• Like 1

Thanks dude, we're going for a high res style. Originally we were thinking pixel art but we've upgraded up to doing it all hand drawn with a mix of 3D assets as well (though the 3D part isn't 100% yet, but both I and the programmer are able to make 3D stuff so it could save time). The way I see it is high res sprites would take me just about as long, if not longer, than just foregoing pixel art entirely. The interface also isn't 100% final in terms of its design but it'll definitely be something along those lines :).

• Like 1

Thanks dude, we're going for a high res style. Originally we were thinking pixel art but we've upgraded up to doing it all hand drawn with a mix of 3D assets as well (though the 3D part isn't 100% yet, but both I and the programmer are able to make 3D stuff so it could save time). The way I see it is high res sprites would take me just about as long, if not longer, than just foregoing pixel art entirely. The interface also isn't 100% final in terms of its design but it'll definitely be something along those lines :).

That's great to hear. Especially with the interaction of 3D, that can make for some really cool level of detail. Perhaps not to model every single asset, but just to give a few of them some extra depht like backgrounds, bricks and stuff like that.

I also heard that Unity (if I recall that's what your friend is learning), works with 2D games now so you can totally create a 2D game and have some 3D here and there as you intend.

The HUD reminds me of Golden Axe III. You should make the face icon "Doom-style" - have it react when hurt, or underwater, among other things.

Loving what you have here, stylish as always. <3

That'd be pretty cool. Haha, I guess not as much in the lines of Doom, of course, but perhaps small changes in her icon as she attacks, interacts, take damage and stuff like that. Just some subtle changes, I guess.

• Like 1

Yep! We're using the new 2D tools that Unity provides now to make our game in. So its pretty easy apparently to combine the two things together. As for her icon changing I am currently envisioning it to only change depending on status/health related things. So as the hp bar goes down her icon will reflect that, and if we opt to do some status effecting stuff like being shocked or something I'd probably make some icons for that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure yet, I don't have anything in particular I feel like showing off to a large audience like SAGE. If I had my comic up and running I probably would. Will probably have stuff to show for the 2nd act of SAGE though!!

Anyway a new music demo. It's still really early so parts are still barebones/don't transition right. I didn't set out to make a boss track that reminds me of PSO this time but it just kind of happened anyway haha. https://soundcloud.com/batteryknife/ouroboros-the-worm-early-demo

Finished that track up. Ended up not having to change so much once I started to fill it in a bit.

OUROBOROS, THE WORM

and some sketches. I've been mega busy lately ._.:

tumblr_n0b35vUOgs1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n01ht5EiNb1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n001zsOHAb1qlnz6fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzvvz52K4A1qlnz6fo2_1280.jpg

That's all I've had time for, just sketches. I also -finally- have thumbnailed up to page 16 of Bad Dudes Beware, so its on its way -finally-.

• Like 2

Latching mouth on tail... endless snake... Ouroboros. Good that you know what it actually means! :]

So when it goes endless, it behaves like the SPIKE! in sawnik coulaurs, right?

Loving it even more. Can't wait to see this in motion.

Ah no, it spins around and is basically a whirling wheel of pain so you want to avoid it. It just propels itself quickly up to the roof of the cave where it slams the ceiling and bounces back down into the other wall spinning there for a few moments to slow down, during which time the debris would be falling. Unlike the spike it doesn't travel along the walls itself while spinning. It only bounces the one time.

Also we are getting our scale down now:

scales_by_endshark-d750n4l.jpg

and here is a vid of the slopes working a bit better now: 

http://gyazo.com/412d6b1ffd47d2296dd92859bf083f93.mp4

I might as well make a topic for this game soon-ish.

• Like 2