A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SAGE 2008 - That's a WRAP!!

Guest Shadix

Guest Shadix

As you may have known SAGE has been going on for the past week at http://www.sagexpo.org/ (I'm running it). Besides possibly the best game (demo) lineup we've had, there have been so many events and special guests I have to make a list:

-Eric Iwasaki (A veteran developer from Naughty Dog. Worked on shaders and stuff.)

-Chris Senn (You guys should know who this is)

-Richard Wheeler (Worked on Sonic Xtreme)

-Lee Brotherton (Dreams of an Absolution, EGGMAN Remix, Sonic Rivals soundtrack, etc)

-Richard Jacques (We did an audio interview of this guy, composed Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Mass Effect, Head Hunter, SEGA Superstars Tennis, some songs for Jet Set Radio, a mix of Dreams Dreams on the new NiGHTs game, and most recently music for Sonic Chronicles.)

-Mike Pollock (We held a trivia gameshow over the SAGEcasts with him acting out in character while the winners of our trivia challenged him, it was freaking fun.)

-Ryan Drummond

You can get transcripts and times via the SAGE site.

Saxman finally released ProSonic, Stealth released a new build of E02. Tons of fangames to check out as well.

Basically, Howard Drossin will be appearing in the channel Friday night at 12EDT. This will be an excellent opportunity for you guys to get off all those deep dark questions about possible Michael Jackson involvement in Sonic 3, or his possible work on a soundtrack for Sonic Xtreme. Jun Senoue is also theoretically stopping by Friday to say hi.

You can get there by our IRC channel:

irc.rizon.net

#sagexpo

Shadix & MarkEchidna Presents

sagematerial2.png

Hey guys, I'm the promotionals director and corunner of SAGE 2008, along with my buddy MarkEchidna, and I wanted to share some of our plans for this year, as well as inform you guys of different ways you can participate.

Table of Contents (As this post is likely to get pretty long-winded)

---

Section 1: General Expo Information

1.1 - What is SAGE

1.2 - When is it?

1.3 - Registration

Section 2: The Event

2.1 - The Games

2.2 - Special Guests

2.3 - Entertainment

Section 3: What YOU Can Do

3.1 - SAGEcasts

3.2 - Workshops

3.3 - Extras

3.4 - Competitions

General SAGE Information

1.1 - What is SAGE?

The Sonic Amateur Game Expo, or SAGE, is an online gaming expo held annually at http://www.sagexpo.org/ to showcase the latest in the fangaming community. Traditionally its main purpose has been to showcase fangames based on the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise, however it is open to any freelance developer that wishes to participate. 2008 marks the event’s 13th itineration. In the past we’ve had many great games introduced, special guests, fun events, and this year will hopefully be the best yet. It’s a huge opportunity for fangamers to show off their latest product.

We usually draw in about 5000 unique hits per day, going off 2004’s statistics, and the participation continues to grow.

1.2 - When Is It?

August 17th - 24th

1.3 - Registration

When August 4th comes around, we'll be opening up our registration. It will be an automated form that will help you get your game registered quickly and efficiently.

Our game registration this year requires some sort of semblance of the game you will be showing at the event on your booth. It's going to be a direct link to your game, and we will be shifting through these to see what booths work.

The Event

2.1 - THE GAMES

Featured Titles:

games.gif

2.2 - Special Guests

Eric Iwasaki

Chris Senn

Richard Wheeler

Lee Brotherton

Richard Jacques

Howard Drossin

Mike Pollock

Ryan Drummond

That's right, the original official voice of Sonic, Ryan Drummond is set to make another appearance this SAGE. Have your questions ready, this is going to be hot.

2.3 The Entertainment

We have more jam packed shows for you than you can shake a fist at!

Evening SAGEcast Entertainment

Concerts:

concerts.jpg

What YOU Can Do

3.1 - SAGEcasts

SAGEcasts are returning, and we need some timeslots covered! You can register for as many as you want, all you need to do is send me an email to [email protected] with "SAGEcast" as the subject and I will handle your time requests as needed.

Some of the events being held:

-Karaoke & Competition

-DJ Mixing Shows

-Possible Concert Performance from Taxman's Band, "The Polites"

Some ideas for what you guys can do in this area:

Concerts\Performances: If you have a band or you make teh awesome musics, contact me about possibly performing on the radio during the event.

Multicasts: We have this worked out so it works, if you guys want to, especially the folks here that run the podcast, want to have a live show with multiple hosts. I would just suggest in this instance that you guys get together more-or-less a flow for your show.

Skits: In the honor of Slingerlands SAGE finale show last year, writing a scripted show is also a really cool way to get some attention, possibly with voice acting and the likes.

3.2 - SAGE Workshops

We've actually been lacking these lately, the workshops give individuals opportunities to actually teach their fellow peers something they don't know, or expand on something they do know.

Some example Workshop subjects:

-Rom Hacking

-Level Design Theory

-Background Designing

-Spriting

-Modelling

-Programming

3.3 - SAGE Extras

I am also looking for extras for an extra section to the site which will be explained in greater detail if you chose to participate. Any extra stuff that doesn't fit into a casual catagory, like comics, videos, sekret software releases, contact me.

3.4 - Competitions

The Complete Game Contest: Complete your game by August 8th and get spotlighted on the site.

The Remix Competition: Remix a Tune from Sonic CD, results will be published on the Music Section of the site as well the remixes themselves. Tangible Prizes are still under consideration.

Remix Competition Rules:

-Composition must be at least 2:00 in length.

Judging:

Compositions will be judged on the following criteria

-Arrangement

-Production - This ones pretty self-explanatory, pay attention to your mixing\eqing and use of effects and panning.

-Relevance - While originality is good, it can easily go overboard and you lose what made your source song your source song. Overly-liberal mixes send a bad signal to someone trying to fulfill their craving for nostalgia.

-Originality - Midi Rips are bad. There are ways to keep the original song intact without having your song be the original song.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you guys know, if anyone, or anyone you know needs some non crappy hosting for SAGE, I"ll be willing to set whoever needs up with something...

At this point, my bandwidth is as good as unlimited, and there's plenty of space available, so don't worry about it at all...

You'll get ftp access, your own subdomain (whatever.pnmhq.com), and access to whatever server side scripting you care to use if you do, in fact, need it... (though most of you will be just using plain html & css pages anyway...).

I'll keep the booth up for up to a month after SAGE ends (or whenever I get around to remembering to remove them, this will most likley be the case... but I'll notify you guys before hand...) unless you want to work out a more permanent deal (which in most cases, I'll be nice since you're all SFGHQ and it'll be free depending on your needs... The server costs are pretty much covered with the other people being hosted...)

So if I see ANYONE with a freewebs booth... I'll force you think that Sonic with a Sword is the best idea since Shadow got a gun...

I wanna play your game, damnit. The level I'm showing off this year is inspired by your level, because yeah...your game is like woah.

I want to play both of yours...

They're like the most awesome things I've seen in recent SFGHQ history... (and I need some extra content for SFGHQ Zone... It's gonna be the best level in history...)

Sure thing... SFGHQ Zone will be... Interesting to say the very least... It will combine the best and worst of SFGHQ into one Zone... The most it would be probably is stealing some art assets...

But I figure I'll let all you guys know that I won't be showing anything at SAGE this year...

I'm having the strangest issue with my filesystem... There's a folder that I can't delete. I run as administrator, or even jump to linux and try, but it refuses to delete ... And this is a folder I created... Worse yet, now, my entire "Stuff" folder was destroyed...

Yes, the elusive "Stuff" folder and the source to the two games I was going to show... One a surprise announcement, the other Sonic's Vacation...

Fortunately, I had the SAGE 2007 source of Sonic's Vacation on my old iPod in a backup of my "Stuff" folder I made around then (I was anxious to make sure Vacation was released then so I backed it up everywhere... Even googlepages...)

So I copied the stuff back into the old folder, which a friend of mine noted that it probably wasn't the best idea and I should have tried to run a file recovery thing first... And that my filesystem might be broken...

But that's a good thing... At least this SAGE, instead of worrying about my game, I can have more fun and amazement playing all of your guy's games...

I wonder if I should try doing video reviews...

THIS JUST IN...SAGE 2008

Shadowgoten and Duckboy team up to fuck your earholes full of juicy hillarious tender nuggets of COMEDY and AWESOME

Look forward to our mega sage cast, we will have guest stars that will blow your mind (oh and slingerland)!! FUCKING RUN FOR YOUR GOD DAMN LIVES.

SG AND DUCKBOY IN: DOUBLETEAMED