A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/02/sonic-busts-ghosts-in-upcoming-night-of-the-werehog-short/

trailer for an upcoming animated feature they plan on making.

Is anyone getting worried that sonic is going down the path of crash bandicoot and becoming a retarded kids game, like the video definitely seems like it was made for 4 year olds to enjoy?

Also, i don't understand why they keep fueling the furry inferno with more idiotic characters, first fix the game and then add more stupid characters sega >.<

Well first you have fursuit mode, then you have the whole rings fly to HUD effect, and you have extremely linear levels. Crash game it be. (One reason why the Wii actually excels despite lacking in presentation for once)

...that said at least somehow Sega worked out the slowdown and loading, so that gamefly renewal isn't looking so bad now.

No thanks, I'm not gonna download 100 megs at 5 kb/s. Can it be found anywhere else?

Intro *edit*Fixed

Gameplay/ In game Cutscene

Other Gameplay::

Trailer that I think we all saw... not sure...

Get it while Sega doesn't realize that the files can be uploaded under ridiculous names...

Again, beautiful game... Seems to be the first time Sonic Team really put effort into a game's visuals since the Dreamcast days... I'm really hoping Destructoid is right that it's fun... Either way, just by looking at the motion, it's already 1000 times better than 2006...

It's just a few days away... If it's good, I'll pick it up for 360... No sense in meplaying it on the Wii, despite the fact that even if it's bad, it'll still be the best game the Wii has seen since the homebrew channel...

It's too bad the game is already doomed to fail on staying power alone. Sure, the fundamentals look absolutely great, but they are still failing to introduce new concepts as the game progresses.

They even have the old style of checkpoint orbs. It's a shame really that they can get so much right and then miss the mark completely at the same time.

Looks better than the other videos, but still very.. not exactly right. I mean, I noticed that pits of deaths have been cut down a lot, and the player only falls once. And then I noticed that there's almost no other way to die. Therein lies a huge problem. The whole "I run directly into enemies" thing is huge. That being said,

looks like it has the same semi-nostalgia feel Sonic Next first gave me (before I was face raped).

The problem is that the parts that look great are repeated in every level and the enjoyment of those parts are lessened by having to play as the Werehog. Any and all claims of linearity from the Sonic Adventure series seem to be at the forefront here. I still have a problem with the unispired badnik designs, and I don't like that they reverted completely back to the old Robotnik design- although that's the least of my worries.

What bothers me solely in principle is that Sonic Next was prepped up so hardcore with the initial videos of Sonic running through a forest, fighting robots in ruins. That the opening scenes were done so well and then the rest of the game didn't live up to the expectations we had, but not just that- that it fell below the quality of the shoddy game(s?) that preceded it. And then their idea of making it up to us and finally, truly going back to something even remotely akin to the roots of the series involves us being forced to play not as other characters that we've grown to love doing idiotic missions but some bastardization of the titular character? And shitloads of grinding? Eh. As far as the opening cutscene and whatnot.. this looks like what should've come after Sonic Adventure 2 or something. Hell, this should just be a remake of Sonic Adventure with my long-awaited Knuckles story.

Maybe I'm wrong and the Werehog bits will be fun, but then I'd just wish Knuckles were knocking fools down instead. :?

Sonic has always been aimed at children. That isn't the issue. The issue is how SEGA perceives the desires of their audience as a whole.

I don't really understand why they've been basically using the same gimmicks and mechanics since Sonic Heroes. They just seem to think thats what the audience wants...

But you can see it here too. All of the stuff featured in the game has been there for a while. The grinding style is the same as in Heroes (usually three rails, push buttons to jump and switch rails) in spite of people preferring SA2's for the most part. You've got the hideously overused aerial boost rings, the recycled to the point of being criminal wire lifts from SA2, dashpad after dashpad after why all the damn dashpads, more sommersault gates featured in SA2 and Sonic Next...

If they really want everything to be perceived as new, they should be phasing out those old ideas. They could easily stand to remove grinding entirely... especially considering that Sonic hasn't worn soaps in over 7 years.

The only thing being introduced I've seen so far is a cluttered environment where you plow a bunch of shit over.

It was part of a leak off some press site. They also leaked the entire intro segment, which is epic if it hasn't worked its way over here yet.

Edit: Found it:

Eggman uses his eggpod thing from the old games, he's sooo animated, he goes Dr. Wily on you, he apparently likes the dreamcast, etc. Man, this Eggman feels so close anatomically and behaviorwise to how the classic eggman wouldve been.

In fact, the whole thing sortof reminds me of a big production version of that 3D Sonic 2 ending thing.