A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

• 2 weeks later...

I can't be the only one that thinks the Wii version looks like shit, right? Fucked textures, boxy environments, almost total lack of shaders and a dull look (that could be a result of the camera recording).

Graphically it reminds me of the usual average PS2 game. And something else I can't pinpoint at the moment.

EDIT: Altered Beast PS2. for some reason I'm getting the same vibe (visually speaking) as that.

Meh, it doesn't seem that bad especially considering it's shot using a mediocre camera...

And are you still on the "ZOMG! The Wii is slightly upgraded gamecube with wireless and waggle and it should produce crystal sharp graphics!!!"

Oh, there are Wii games with nice looking textures and models and you expect the same from Sonic Team, who haven't made a good game in... forever?

Dami, the gameplay has to be better... It has waggle!

It's just... somehow I feel Heroes on the GC looked more vibrant. And the fact I've been fucking spoiled by PS360 graphics.

Nobody expects Sonic Team to reach Mario Galaxy proficiency, but that doesn't make 5 year old visuals acceptable. Hiding behind the "looks good for Wii" argument doesn't work for me. Downgrading the next gen SKU was a mistake, should've instead changed the artstyle to hide the hardware limitations IMO.

But we'll see how the final game looks on a direct feed video.

Goddamn, the game plays itself!

On the plus side, you can learn a new recipe, learn how to play an instrument, or finish that novel you started while you beat Sonic Unleashed...

It's a game for multitaskers, taking the long, tedious, and most of all time consuming part out of playing games...

This game is revolutionary... All the fun of playing a game without having the fun of playing a game...

Genius... Its a wonder Steve Jobs didn't think of this first...

*edit* GASP! Jim Sterling Kinda liked Unleashed! http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-08-sonic-unleashed-hands-on-proves-me-right--106957.phtml

tldr; Beautiful game, shallow gameplay, but fun. Might not suck, but might not be great either...

I'm thinking tolerably entertaining...

According to Nintendo's Official magazine (who've had a test play of the game), in stages...

In each area Sonic has to talk to various townsfolk in order to find out what's going on. Don't worry though. While it may sound like talking to people will get in the way of the action, these sections simply consist of still screens with text diaologue (at least they do at the moment) and so can be easily skipped if need be. What's more, they're accessed through a sort of menu screen where you select different parts of the city and speak to people there. This may seem basic but it means the gameplay is focused on the actual levels rather than running aimlessly around cities looking for people to talk to. After all, let's face it: Sonic games are about platforming action.

OH NOES, HUMANS!!! D:

lol I know SOMEONE's thinking that XD. I hope it can be easily skipped in the game, cause I don't wanna spend alot of time speaking to towns people.

Also, they say "Been wary of getting too excited? We can assue you that it's now safe to do so..."

Yay?

EDIT: Another thing in the magazine I find interesting is that it says "If you can't be bothered with Sonic's homing attack you can just jump over enemies.. and shows a screenshot of Sonic jumping over like 4 enemies XD. Makes me think.. does this mean I can easily just skip through enemy areas by just jumping over them all?

The problem with the graphics is that they're putting Sonic in increasingly more and more realistic areas... The graphics themselves look fine to me (I can't tell a difference between Wii and 360), but they're just so wrong for Sonic. He doesn't fit. He's supposed to be jumping between zones in alternate dimensions and stuff. They started putting him in a real-world environment starting with Sonic Adventure, but it was so much different from this.

I want Sonic Adventure 3.

This just in, icecream appears to be an important plot element. >.>

chip2.jpg

supermarioandoma212bjz0.jpg

The Icecream man appears along with Amy and Tails as supposedly important characters on the Sonic Worlds Adventure site. wtf... >.>

This just in, icecream appears to be an important plot element. >.>

The Icecream man appears along with Amy and Tails as supposedly important characters on the Sonic Worlds Adventure site. wtf... >.>

Of course. He will be selling Sonic all he needs for the adventure.

BAWMBS.jpg

Lamp oil? Rope? Bombs? You want it?

It's yours my friend, as long as you have enough Rings.