A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Gear Solid 4

I logged to post people should AVOID logging on their PSN/XBL accounts (or at least turn notifications off) because some assholes apparently are sending spoiler-filled friend invites and messages.

A friend of mine got one of those although he didn't get fucked because he had played whatever part it was at the spanish press event. Epic fail.

So yeah, just a warning.

Also damn you PG now I'm going to be speculating crazy theories till I get the game haha

I better go off while I'm relatively safe.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, i don't see why people get so worked up about spoilers. for instance (btw i haven't played the game so this may not happen those who are worried), if somebody goes OMG SNAKE DIES, fine, but the interesting part is how the story gets there, rather than the event itself. so having individual plot points revealed, i find at least for me, doesn't ruin the experience that much. in fact, it can create suspense for some scenes if you are anticipating something to happen

Well, he's not the only one, though I admit that I'm sick of him the most. Never even liked that cunt.

Pseudo Vauge spoiler, but not really (Not using any names):

I watched my buddy beat the game last night. The credits roll, then, goddammit, another person is still alive. After a crazy explanation for why he's not dead, the game finally ends.

MGS2 really screwed shit up with Nanomachines and all of this nonscense. If something doesn't make sense, you can bet nanomachines are behind it.

Also, the final fight? AMAZING. If there's one thing MGS4 taught me, it's that old people fight a LOT. Someone needs to tell them to chill the fuck out. Really cinematic, and pretty long considering the nature of the fight. Though my favorite fight is still when Snake

Pilots a Metal Gear. Fuck yes.

I wouldn't say you HAVE to get a PS3 (not just for MGS4, anyways). Like all of the Metal Gears, you're watching as much as/more than you're actually playing. You could easily just wait until videos are uploaded and watch the whole game if that's your cup of tea (probably not).

Not to downplay the gameplay. It's is more enjoyable than the previous ones just because it's less frustrating. You're not helpless anymore, and the game puts you into different scenarios (instead of just "sneak from point A to B, then sneak some more, then fight a boss every so often".)

I'd still give it a solid (har har) 9.5 from what I've watched and played. I think it's way more worthy of GotY than GTA4.

EDIT: I must have missed this codec. Pretty funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hjR6cUnjJss

haven't had much time to play, tonight will be my first real long session with the game, but so far the game reminds me of call of duty 4 spliced with metal gear solid in some respects. And that's a really good thing. I love the gun customization and the combat now that I can mix run and gun with stealth.

'kay. I need to get it out of my system anyways. I'll just spill everything as I remember it.

Ocelot was never possessed by Liquid. He used self hypnosis to implant Liquid's psyche into his brain to stimulate Snake's emotions. This was, of course, so that he could secretly use Snake from the very beginning in his plan to eliminate the Patriots.

The Patriots were founded by Major Zero, Paramedic, EVA, Sigint, Big Boss, and Ocelot. Big Boss distanced himself, so he was cloned without his knowledge/consent, the head of said project being Para-Medic herself, and EVA being the surrogate mother for Snake and Liquid. This made him leave the Pats for good. During MGS1, Para-Medic is killed by Gray Fox, and Sigint was killed by Ocelot.

With EVA and Ocelot both attempting to take down the Patriots, Zero is the last member left, who decides to replace his comrades with AI instead of recruiting new members. Zero goes into a vegetative state by the time MGS4 starts, and thus the Pats are run entirely by a set of AIs, each with a specific task. The AI network evolved over time, creating the Sons of the Patriots System and the ware economy. Conflict became the Patriot's method of solving problems because it was the only thing that was practical to them, since computers don't have emotions or religious beliefs to guide them. In this sense, they aren't evil, but they're not human. They also followed specific routines, so if a mistake was made, it would be remade. Ocelot uses this to his advantage and tricks them to focus on Ocelot, not realizing that Snake was slowly being used against them.

Rose is married to the Colonel, much to the dismay of Meryl. Meryl hooks up with Johnny Sasaki, who finally shows his face. At the end, they get married.

Olga's daughter, Sunny, is a computer genius. Her and Naomi help with the virus for the Patriot's AI. Sunny is a factor the Patriots never took into account, so the virus goes off without a hitch.

Otacon and Naomi bump uglies. Naomi betrays them and runs off with Vamp and Ocelot. Later, Naomi dies of cancer once the nanomachines keeping her alive stop working. Otacon bawwwws as the Metal Gear Mk III spins around and acts silly. Ugh. Also, Otacon switches to contacts.

Vamp is kept alive by Nanomachines as well. Raiden effs him up at Shadow Moses.

Snake eventually gets the motherfucking Railgun. Fuck yea.

Big Boss' corpse becomes a focal point in the first three acts, since the Patriot's database and shit can't be accessed unless the genetic code is allowed in. Snake and Liquid technically have different genetic codes, so they can't access it. Ocelot finds some way around this and burns Big Boss' corpse.

Ocelot finally has control over the military side of the AI by the end of Act 3. He has command of all weapons and combat vehicles, essentially ending war. He then heads to Shadow Moses to retrieve Metal Gear Rex, which still has nukes. Snake goes to stop him. Eva dies in Europe when Ocelot blows up the boat carrying Big Boss' corpse, burning the side of Snake's face in the process.

The MGS1 dream sequence from the trailer is shown. Snake is fully playable in PS1 graphics, music, and interface. He wakes up in the chopper with Otacon just before landing on Shadow Moses. There, Snake pilots Metal Gear Rex and fights Metal Gear Ray. Awesome boss fight ensues.

I believe Raiden bites the big one saving Snake at Shadow Moses. Snake gets all old and can't move, and Ocelot tries to crush Snake with a giant sub/carrier/battleship thing. Raiden runs up and stops the entire fucking this with his bare hands. The boat thingy proceeds forward once Raiden can't hold it back, and flashbacks of Raiden/Rose codec convos from MGS2 play. Cut to Snake, who's all "LIQUID!" and shit as Liquid Ocelot makes off like the giddy villain that he is.

Ocelot and Snake settle things at the top of the boat thing (Ocelot's Outer Haven). They fist fight for a good 10 minutes or so as themes from previous games play, the health meters change with the song, and and flashbacks ensue. Snake beats the shit out of Ocelot. Ocelot brags about how the world will go crazy now that the Patriots aren't around to keep shit in line, and that it will return to the days of the old West.

It's later revealed that Big Boss' corpse is actually Solidus', who was a perfect clone of Big Boss. Even the AI couldn't tell them apart. Big Boss has been in an induced coma since Metal Gear 2 (the real one from Japan). He wakes up from it at the end of MGS4 and confronts Snake at the cemetary, stopping the end credits so he can explain the shit about Liquid's arm, how he's still alive, and the thing with Zero. He hugs his "son", and explains all of the shit I explained above. After Big Boss cuts off Zero's medical supply stuff, Zero dies, effectively ending the Patriots once and for all. Big Boss finally passes away, telling Snake to live out the rest of his short life. End.

Probably some other shit I missed. I've been watching a livestream of someone play to catch up on the parts I missed.

Thanks PG, that fills in the gaps from what I have picked up. Concerning Raiden, he does in fact live, and wakes up in some military hospital, looking fairly human, with lots of artificial skin covering up pieces of him. rose walks in with a young boy who is in fact Raiden's son. Roy and Rose pretended to be married for Raiden and Rose's sake... patriot games and what not. Son thinks dad is coolest person ever, hugs.

Also, during a few cutscenes I noticed that Snake was looking pretty young and stacheless, specifically during the fight with vamp at REX's resting site. what was with that?

Ah, snap. I gotta watch that scene then.

With regards to your question, you can get face camo in single player. Including:

Young Snake (with or without a beard)

PS1 Snake

All of the bosses (kill them with a tranq gun)

Raiden

And a few others. I'm assuming what you saw was someone with Young Snake's face camo on. I watched said fight and Snake was very much an old man.

Yea, you need to tranq them after they fall out of their suit thing and act all weird and shit. You need to be persistent, because I've seen those fuckers dodge at pointblank range.

Eh, it's no biggie. It actually finishes them off faster than if you were to just shoot them.

And holy FUUUUCK just entering act 5 now, this game is a straight up movie, with enough gameplay to not get pissed, and enough cinematics to blow your fucking mind.

The metal gear ray vs. rex bit is AMAZING, I fucking dominated

so is it worth getting a PS3 for? i'm moving back from hong kong soon so this is my last chance to get one cheap

If you've been on the ride through the last 3 games then HELL YES, this is the deal sealer. And PS3 has already started to float on it's own anyways, it's getting all the big releases and stuff.

If you're familiar with the series, you know it's gonna have cutscenes up the ass, so it won't bother you. You might want to brush up on your Metal Gear lore at Gametrailers' MGRetrospective site, just because this game deals with just about everything in the tangled plot.

If you have no other reason to own a PS3, you might as well watch the damn thing. If you plan on using it for other games in the future, you can't ask for a better game on your brand new console. Retarded thing to say, but I've seen PS3s sit around without ever being touched. Good games are slowly trickling in, and MGS4 can totally hold you over with a strong singleplayer campaign and online multiplayer.