A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

What have I been doing since SAGE? Not much.

So after I completed the TFH SAGE demo, I decided to take a little time off. It was 3+ weeks of "crunch time" to get that demo out, right in the middle of a lot of other hectic activities, so I needed a breather. I figured a couple of weeks - I ended up taking over a full month. Whoops. The good news is that I can feel the familiar, "I need to start working on my game" itch again. The bad news is that it is September - Mid-September, in fact. Halloween is fast-approaching and that means I'm gearing up for whatever I have planned this year, as I usually try to celebrate the holiday in a special way. Last year, I did an all-day live webcast of various Halloween related music and audio content (stories and the like) called The Graveyard Shift. This year, I think I'm going to try and do music on a Shoutcast stream, and, if I can manage it, a video stream, as an alternative, with old Halloween specials and stuff on it.

That might not take all of September and October to set up, but it's going to be taking up some of my time. I also, sometime ago, received an offer (a paid offer) to make a short game for a guy I know. I'm not entirely sure how that one's going to pan out, seeing as it's been months since I last heard anything regarding it, but I'm not ruling it out, yet, either. And paying customers over-rule fangames. Hopefully it'll get going sooner rather than later, because I could use the money.

Anyway! That's not to say there hasn't been any work done on the game. Below is a video I've attached of the tweaks I've been making to the engine for quality's sake.

Video is here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have had this problem yet, but I can't play Sonic: The Fated Hour in fullscreen mode. When I try the command doesn't seem to work (nothing happens). Could this be just something with my PC or is it a game issue? If anyone else has had this problem and has thoughts they are more than welcome to share them.

Thanks everyone!

Well, while my Mom is off on vacation, I decided to goof around on her laptop a bit, including hooking it up to the TV via S-Video. Translation: Fangames on a TV! Woo.

[qimg]http://i35.tinypic.com/6z8whx.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i38.tinypic.com/161di00.jpg[/qimg]

Of course, I tried other games, too:

[qimg]http://i34.tinypic.com/e9vteb.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i34.tinypic.com/24wg9i1.jpg[/qimg]

Hooray.

Blaze, that's the coolest thing I've seen!

I gotta try that some day!

I prefer playing a game in a TV screen too. The pixels and everything else look better, more bright and colorful (if you play it in a regular tv, in a 4:3 resolution, I presume). That's why I love the Mega-Drive. ;)

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have had this problem yet, but I can't play Sonic: The Fated Hour in fullscreen mode. When I try the command doesn't seem to work (nothing happens). Could this be just something with my PC or is it a game issue? If anyone else has had this problem and has thoughts they are more than welcome to share them.

Thanks everyone!

This has happened to me before too. It seems to work if you restart the game with F2. Or there should be a menu option for fullscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

So the SAGE demo didn't turn out quite like I had wanted it to. I was, however, reserved to stopping at Version D. Last month, when I made my monthly Moddb update, I posted a video of the bugs I had fixed since SAGE and a couple people said they wanted a new version with the fixes.

Not having much for the October update, I decided to go ahead and release a new version, but, as always, I ended up doing more work than I probably needed to. The current "Version E" update will contain:

• Tweaked level design - Certain areas are cleaner looking and better arranged.
  • New graphics - Huts and fences in certain parts of the level. I had wanted to do these originally, but I did not have the time to sprite them.
  • Coconuts - I already had him coded and ready, I just forgot to put him in. I re-arranged some enemies and found room for him.
  • Bug fixing - Homing attack and wall kicking are much improved. A handful of other, smaller bugs were also fixed.
  • Mission(s) - One or two new NPCs placed in the level to give you alternative objectives.

Expect it either later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

monsoon.png

Professor Vector is in the house ready to educate you about African weather patterns and to rock out to some jammin' music.

mission.png

I moved Vector to a new location to make him easier to get to. The mission he gives you has begun!

Wow, that is cool! :) Nice elephant Badnik, by the way. I love some of the special effects in this game, too, escpecially the special effect for the Sonic Boost. My only gripe with it, however, is that the boost looks like it's too easy to get. Perhaps if you made the power level go down more when using the boost, it might add more challenge to the game.

Just my opinion, though, and it's only a minor issue to me, but I did think the constant speed boosts made the level look too easy.

There's two versions of the dash move. The one I always use in the videos is the better of the two ("Sonic Rush+") - consider it playing the game as Sonic with a maxed-out skill. Obviously, if you look at a video of Final Fantasy and somebody's level 99, the game will look too easy because most enemies go down in one hit, etc.

The weaker of the two dash moves you can equip does drain the power meter a lot faster.

It's never coming! You never should have asked! It was going to be done when it was done, but because you pestered me about it, I am quitting fangaming forever and I will never be coming back!

Just kidding. It's waiting for Moddb approval.

There's a lot of small changes. The level design has been edited so certain routes are a little harder to get to (in order to force players down through the long way more - don't worry, it's nothing dramatic, just a taller wall in one spot). There's two mission NPCs, one of which you already know about. And as a special, extra bonus, I added a really short, tongue-in-cheek "secret".

Edit: Since I'm going to bed like, now, if you want the new demo, just keep checking here until it goes up in a two or three hours.

Did you find some external program to handle your scaling? I've never seen Worlds run at triple resolution without taking a fairly sizable performance hit...

Oh, but I do have to note that I hear rain sounds after the end when I play the monsoon and it won't get past the splash screen. Not a big deal since I can just reset the game, but I'm not sure if this will cause problems down the road or not.

When I started the new demo i got to this screen

[qimg]http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/True_Sonic/GRAPHICERROR.png[/qimg]

then once I got to the next frame it gave my pc a "serious error" messages then when I restarted, it said (the system has recovered from a serious error).

Whats up with the graphics too :P.

Hm. The graphics problem there is probably because the screen is resizing itself too large. When I do the window resizing stuff, it always looks weird on my end - like it's cutting off pixels, so I had it resize the window to something that looked naturally on my screen.

But it doesn't look natural on your screen, which is the odd part. As for the serious error stuff, well, uh, I don't know. A graphics driver problem, maybe?