A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Brawl Tourney #2: Underway, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

shadowgoten

Ok so I'm hoping for a higher participation list this time, This one will probably be in may after everyone finishes their finals so we have no problems whatsoever.

The rules are as follows:

All characters are open.

All stages are open.

Item appearances set to low.

4 stock

If you have any problems with items at all, and both are in agreement, you can turn off items for your match.

The list:

Shadowgoten

LinkG07 (Previous champ)

Starkrafter

Blyde

PheonixGamma

DimensionWarped

Streak

Aylingling

Gamerdude

AeroGP

Ila

tourney2-3.jpg

Ok here are the brackets, they're pretty big yes. I gots a program to make a fancy schmancy double elimination bracket this time so everyone except the person winning every match will have 2 lives basically.

I know the first round has a lot of byes, but after that we should see the brackets working pretty well.

As for items, if you and the person you are playing against can come to an agreement on a particular item ruleset, you are more than welcome to use that instead.

Final match will be best out of 3 as well, unless anyone is against that.

Ok round 2 brackets are up. It's still a little small, but more legible this time.

EDIT: Hey SG, are you gonna spice up the matches this tourney?

Have anything in mind? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I forgot to ask before what the participants thought of the current rules and if they have any additions or suggestions they'd like to make.

If we have enough participation this time, I'm thinking about having a losers bracket as well...but we'll have to see what kind of numbers we have this time.

If both fighters would rather play without items, you're more than welcome to turn them off.

Excellent. I definately prefer a clean arena.

Anyone up for a few practice rounds? Let me know via aim. I'm available for the rest of today.

EDIT: Blarg LinkG07, you face me WITHOUT ITEMS. :o Let's see how good you are then.

Some, but they can be avoided. I found it funny how if Marth misses his, he commits suicide off the screen lol

EDIT: Here's a nice tidbit. In the matches, a random person (or person picked through some kind of drawing) gets to set up the rules.

Super Sonic can't be avoided, Wario-man can't be avoided, only really bad landmaster users can be avoided, and believe me, I could go on. Hell, only a very small minority of characters can avoid some moves... like Olimar's End of Day attack for instance.

IMO, the tactics that come with items should apply more to use than acquisition.

Finals? Mine are in June from 6/9-6/13 and then miscellaneous tests the week after, but I only really need to worry about 5/3 (SAT which is meh) and 5/9 (APUSH test, hoo boy I hate this subject). Playing in June isn't a problem for me.

And allow me to nitpick a little about items as well, kinda like DW's stuff: No non-food healing items, dragoon parts, fans, or ray guns (you have no idea how many times my friends got cheap kills over the last two items), and no fire flower if we play on Bridge of Eldin. Final smashes and Pokéballs/ ATs are ok by me. If you wanna leave them on, please at least stay away from the fan :[

Yeah, walk-off stages change a lot of things. All I've got to say is if I see a Dedede player chain grab someone all the way to the edge for an insta-kill, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Pokeballs I think are fine. ATs... not quite as much. They aren't nearly as bad as final smashes, but oi, some of them can really be a lot worse.

Oh, and stopwatches. I hate them a lot. Really dumb.

On the other hand, I see nothing at all wrong with the fan. It's uses are pretty much exactly what they should be... a good item for penalizing heavy shield users.

Or people can do

Yeah, ok, it's very situational, but having that happen to you in FFA and 1vs1 is freaking annoying and hard to escape. I can't stop the fan spammers all the time, of course. So like, it would be great if no one did this.

If you dodge items, you can't get hurt. I'm looking at you fan, laser, dragoon, and all the other shit people BAWWWWW about. Course, you could just get the freaking item first and not get hit by it. Naw, let's just ban shit. Yay broken Smashboards logic! DERP!

Also, you can DI out of the fan. You can either push through the opponent or away from the opponent, but you need to commit to avoid staying in any longer than you should (translation: don't push left, realize pushing right would be quicker, then push right. At that point you're better off pushing left.)

That is bullshit. The dragoon comes out instantly and if you aren't dodging when it goes off you are dead, and if you dodge before it goes off (assuming you are playing someone with any degree of compotence), you are dead. What are you left with? Hoping that you can jive the player with the dragoon long enough to keep him from using it on you until you can dodge to the end of it... and that never works for the above reason that it goes off instantly.

And getting the item first isn't always an option. Especially in the case of assist trophies and stop watches. There it is very scarcely an option.