A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

IGN Dreamcast is back in town

It's the one system I play most, and it's like 7 years later. I don't play my friggin Gamecube this much, and I've bought a freaking Dreamcast game (SA:DX) for my Gamecube, which plays better on my DC. It had an awesome library of pretty much everything but driving games. RPGs: Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue ( I think); Action Adventure: Sonic Adventure 1&2 (can't think of more at the moment); Fighters: Power Stone 1&2, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom, Guilty Gear X; FPS: Half-life (can't think of more); and even top-downshooters such as: Ikaruga, Border Down, and Radilgy.. which have seemed to died along with the Dreamcast. I've only seen Ikaruga on the GC, but everyone else seems to have left the awesome genre behind. If the Dreamcast was still alive I'd of never bought a GC, and I'd of STILL been buying games for my Dreamcast. Rather than downloading and burning Ikaruga I'd of bought it, same for the other games I've downloaded. It was just an awesome system.

I can't believe games like TriZeal, Ikaruga, Pizzicato Polka, and Radilgy are still being released in Japan with relatively good results for a console that's been dead for 6-7 years. I only really knew of Ikaruga and Radilgy (which looked too cartoony for me). I wonder if there are any decent DC homebrew tools lying around, not like I could use them anyway.

The Dreamcast is cool and all, but i really dislike the fact that if you rub your game disc on anything other than feathers it wont work anymore.

If they revived the DC and used DVD-Roms (or whatever the GC/PS2/Xbox uses) then i would definately be all for it.

My DC disks have been just about everywhere, from being a placemate for a dripping bottle of water, to simply being somewhere in a pile of other CD's o_O They work fine.

DC deserves to come back, let it rock your world. xD

Sereph: o.O I've only ever had one disc that didn't work and I bought it used and it had thousands of scratches going around it in a circle. So umm.. no idea what you mean by "feather." Keep in mind that the DC spins GDR at halfspeed, so yes scratches are more noticeable. Have you tried to clean it?

And reviving the DC with DVDs.. would require a new system. And if that's what you mean.. I'd rather a new system that was more than just a Dreamcast that ran DVDs. Something with at least Xbox quality gfx, that ran both DC and Saturn games. I suppose they'd have to set it up so that when a GDR is detected it wouldn't spin as fast.. no idea.

You used your DC game as a coaster? You asshole!

Something had to prevent a ring from appearing on my desk :D I grabbed any random CD each time, once it was a DC game, I dont even remeber what it was xD

"Actually Scatta, a new drive with the right firmware would work just fine."

Yes.. but you'd still have to buy a new drive with said firmware. And it still wouldn't have better gfx or anything, you'd just be able to watch movies on it, and have bigger game files and the like.

Not necessarily. He's got 3. I'm assuming he didn't buy them all at the same time. Chances are one of them won't have to be modded. You only need to mod DCs made.. sometime after the first wave though I'm not exactly sure when. If he bought any of his after the DC launched all he needs to do is a torrent program, and some CDRs. I've tried it about 4 times now actually. It all depends on when he bought the thing. I thought that was kinda a given, so I didn't mention it.

And in case anyone is wondering I got mine the Christmas of '99. Best present ever outside of my laptop.. but my laptop died and my DC is still going and I now know how to supply it with an awesome library whenever I get bored and have money to blow on CDRs. >.>