A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Discuss a Brawl Tournament

ila

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already stated there's less knockback and the bullets don't have as long a tail as before. Thus, it is significantly less effective. So...I did make that point.

Also, never assume, ass out of u and me, etc., etc.

And there's a hole in the scenario anyways: how can you B air (assuming you mean bair, or back air) when you're holding a gun already? You can't. The player would have to hit you, THEN get the gun, turn, aim, and fire.

Either way, it's a moot point. You let one item in, you let them all in. Maybe if we have an itemless tourney simultaneously, you can enter that, but in the item tourney, everything's fair game.

tl;dr: Argument's a waste of time. This is why we can't run a tourney fucking harmoniously.

I said like fifty thousand times that I'm assuming it is the same as it is in Melee. You haven't made any effort to correct me on that.

In any event, the scenario assumes you are starting with the targeted player in the air above the pit, as though put in that position by a typical b-air. THEN the other player does the laser juggling. If it is like Melee, it is basically unavoidable for the vast majority of characters.

Oh, and don't act superior just because you pirated the fuckin' game early. Two weeks of experience is very, very little for SSB.

Err... Wow, I don't think PG was playing the superior card as much as he was just informing you to quite making assumptions about something you don't actually know whether it works or not.

If anything I'd say you're playing the superior card here.

So yeah, I can't wait to get this game to play in this tourney >.>.

@Shadix:

Yeah, yeah, I was thinking that at first, but as he presses on, it seems more and more like he just wants to omit, conveniently forget, or blatantly misrepresent info to support his point. And he is using the fact that he has been playing the game already as some kind of "I know more than you" catchall.

More humorously than that even though, is that (at least in Melee) you can still use BAIR, DAIR, UAIR, Up Smash, Down Smash, and every B-attack with the raygun in hand. I don't know if this is true for Brawl, but I'm thinking you weren't saying that anyway.

In any event, I wasn't trying to say human players were sandbags. I was however pointing out two things.

1. You can change from weapon combat to regular combat and then back again within very small intervals

2. You can still use attacks that don't involve the weapons while holding the weapons.

In any event, this is why tournament guys don't play with items. Its because of the black and white mentality that since some things are unbalancing, that means you shouldn't use everything. And your notion mirrors that. You want all items to be in regardless of the effects of the individual ones.

Personally, I can't stand playing with hearts on. It just isn't any fun when someone gets one in a 1v1 game. Does that make me a hypocrite for still wanting to have most of the rest of the items in? I guess it does to you.

Ok, assuming PG is with me on this, we'll let the tourneys play out with all items for the first and probably 2nd one, after we all have gotten our feet wet with some FRIENDLY face offs, then we can open a thread on what items you guys think are mega overpowered, if there's enough of an opinion voiced against it, then we'll talk about turning that particular item out.

Honestly though, I haven't had a raygun douche shoot at me much, in the event that it does happen, I try to work around it. In my play style I think it's a douchebag move to pull some stupid shit like that, when I knock you out, it's cause you got knock the fuck out. Not because I prevented you from coming back in with a cheap attack. This is how I play though, not expecting you all to play like that.

Honestly though, I haven't had a raygun douche shoot at me much, in the event that it does happen, I try to work around it. In my play style I think it's a douchebag move to pull some stupid shit like that, when I knock you out, it's cause you got knock the fuck out. Not because I prevented you from coming back in with a cheap attack. This is how I play though, not expecting you all to play like that.

Playing with tourney___s has made me a little meaner than that. Getting edgehogged and having my PK thunder eaten has made me wizen up a little.

Ok, assuming PG is with me on this, we'll let the tourneys play out with all items for the first and probably 2nd one, after we all have gotten our feet wet with some FRIENDLY face offs, then we can open a thread on what items you guys think are mega overpowered, if there's enough of an opinion voiced against it, then we'll talk about turning that particular item out.

Actually I was going to motion towards NO ITEMS FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that way works too.

it's alright dee dubya, not everyone here plays like a tourney dork. We obviously haven't played brawl, so let's let it roll for the first couple of brackets, and then see how it goes from there. By then we'll have formulated opinions on how the game plays and how certain items should be handled.

Having hearts in will break my heart </3

You could always make "treaties" with people you play against for the first couple of tourneys. That way, if its someone agreeable, they won't use items like Hearts that just make the other player cry.

BTW I'm totally with DW on the raygun. That thing sucked. However, it could be better in Brawl, so starting with items and then making exclusions is a good plan.

All matches are E-peen matches. Why should it be all on or all off regardless?

I dont know. Me and my friends usually turn them off during 1v1 matches, its kind of customary. We did this years ago, when it was all neighborhood matches and no clue of what a "smash bros tourny" was.

All items on for fun, nuke crazy matches, items off when we get serious. (which was only after a full 20 stock match full of shit talking and then a 1v1 to settle it, and another 5 1v1's after that to SETTLE it settle it.

Ahh, smash brothers is such a great game...

Items off was never a hellworthy rule for me from the tourny___s. Its the stage limitation that pisses me off. But the "items off" rule went in effect for only 2 reasons: 1) items frequently rape the camera, and 2) theres no "IT WAS [X] FAULT I LOST". However, if the stage did it then thats fair game. I find stage-based deaths to be skill related as well, so...