A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Discuss a Brawl Tournament

ila

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DW, if someone starts spamming the raygun, you can airdodge below the line of fire, and since you can still do stuff after an air dodge, a recovery move gets you back on the ledge. Granted, there IS a point of no return, but that's the same for fighting hand to hand anyways.

Plus, Pit and Metaknight can totally whore the sky worse than any raygun. That's pretty much the only way they can get a kill.

And yea, you guys can't fucking agree on any tournaments (SF2 is SF2. Why were people so fucking anal about the system it was on and shit?). That probably why we've had so few. I say we play sum Smash Bros 64 netplay now, that way we can get a grasp on how we want to run the Brawl matches.

Just so you all know, I was one of the few that actually played his match on SF2, granted it was the laggiest shittiest match of my life, I played it.

Another idea, I dunno how easy this would be to implement, but under the portion where our avatars are, we could award winners with badges and trophies (sprited by someone here with the skills) for winning, and maybe even participating.

Also we'll have to be a lot stricter on getting these matches done, I'd say on the bigger tourneys, 3 days should be enough time to get 1 match done, smaller ones can be a week. Just something to keep the tourneys moving quick.

On the bigger ones I'm also throwing out there the idea of having a losers bracket that gives everyone a 2nd chance, one lucky guy there can have the chance of jumping back in. I dunno, we'll have to see.

The consolation bracket management is what nearly killed me during the Pokemon tourney, but I'm not against it.

As for badges and stuff, perhaps maybe sig images like the gifs that were made for Slinger's Retro Tourneys, but nothing in the profile. At its core this is still SFGHQ, and not a Smash Bros site.

We're just discussing some ways to make sure everyone has fun with this. kthxbye.

Wow way to be an ass ila. Thanks, totally on topic, worth bringing up, and totally worth not giving me a real response.

I can see the same thing happening here. Just do what SG said, which is the FUN WAY TO PLAY!

Agreed.

Not only because of the way it's MEANT to be played, but also because it'd be giving into to the hardcore tourney community we so clearly despise.

From what I can glean from GameFAQs and a few other people, aside from the random spectator mode, there is no other way for outsiders to observe the match, which is unfortunate. HOWEVER we could have a third player join to SD himself to allow two to duke it out, even better if that person was live streaming commentary.

thats the biggest gripe I have with online tournaments. For anyone not participating its just watching bracket updates.

I do propose though that at least one person per match saves a replay for posterity and eventual uploading for all to watch and be amazed.

It will be interesting to see if some crazy Japanese guy (or those guys at sourceforge) figure out a way to just take Brawl replays from the SD card and convert them to a suitable format like avi, which can then in fact be easily uploaded.

HOWEVER if I'm not mistaken Brawl replay data is in fact just positional data. I'm not 100% sure on that one though. PG, think you can convince your friend to save a match to an SD card and examine it for us? I can't find anything online concerning this topic yet.

BTW Smidge is currently a no go on a gaming online subforum. So we'll see what happens.

I'm going to side with make the tourney as fun as possible. Granted, the items really make the game chaotic. But smash is about chaos, and it pains me when we turn ALL the items off in Brawl...

When we played with Smasballs and Assist Trophies, the game was ridiculously fun but they claimed it was too random and broken... (but they probably hated the fact that I won more frequently because they couldn't deal with the slightest bit of randomness...)

Smashballs require some tactics to get, you can always knock them out of whoever gets them, and frankly, I like them...

Same with assist trophes, pokeballs, and whatever... It should be a fun tourney, we don't need to turn off the game and make this into a serious OMG I HATE YOU event...

So far, when we checked the replay saves, there didn't seem to be any useful video data in it. It probably is just position data (that, and you could only record 2 mins...)

The best choice is to use a portable media player or something and feed the matches into it and record them that way...

We'll have to get one first; all the stuff we saved is the the Wii's Block Memory thinger cause no one owns one.

We'll look into it. As of now we still have problems with some of the menus. They're labeled with cute little pictures for us, but it's changing the values that gets us confused (we thought the far right option in Item Switch was Very Low. Turned out to be the opposite this time. Smash Ballapalooza.)

I'm probably swinging by later tonight, so I'll see if I can pick up a card for a few bucks on the way. My prediction: the files saved on it will be pretty fucked up. I know for a fact that the two modded Wiis I play on can't exchange save data via SD cause I guess WiiKey messes something up (meaning when I buy the game, I can't borrow their save data and use that to have everything unlocked. Sometimes Nintendo's JP and U save files are exactly the same, like in Pokemon D/P).

If I even have the game by the time this goes on, I'll be glad to take part.

My computer has a video card in it already, and I used to make movies with Melee all the time. The TV with the Wii is only a few feet away from that computer, so all I'd have to really do is move the RCA cables.